2012 C204 220CDi AMG Sports Coupe - List of Problems!

Peter C1974

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1985 W123 230E & 1991 W124 200E & 1999 W210 E240
Ladies and gentlemen,

My C204 is 5 months old, I've had it from new and it has clocked up less than 6k miles.

These are the faults I have experienced:

The undertray shields were rattling. This has been fixed by the dealer although it took two attempts to get it right.

The driver’s seat creaks. The dealer initially replaced the squab frame, then the backrest frame and most recently the entire seat, but the seat continues to creak every time I drive the car. The dealer now refuses to take further action.

The performance of the automatic transmission is very poor. In ECONOMY mode the gearbox will randomly select higher and lower gears on a steady throttle whilst accelerating, which prevents smooth progress. At steady speeds, the gearbox selects a high gear causing the engine to bog down and takes too long to kickdown, which prevents smooth progress. Most worrying, when decelerating, the car jerks forward just before coming to a standstill as the gearbox engages a lower gear. To compensate for the jerk the brake pedal needs to be applied harder if the car is to be kept under control. I believe this is a potentially dangerous fault.

Fuel consumption is way short of the manufacturer’s figures. The majority of my daily commute takes me across A and B roads in steady flow of traffic and I rarely drive the car fast. Mid to high 30s (MPG) is the best I can expect. Mercedes Benz claim an average of 50MPG can be achieved in similar conditions.

The automatic windscreen wipers do not work properly. Often the wipers do not react when the screen is wet whilst at other times the wipers switch on at high speed at the first sign a raindrop. The system does not feature a simple intermittent setting for the wipers, which is a massive oversight in my opinion.

The windscreen wipers smear rainwater across the windscreen.

The automatic headlights come on and go off as they please. Often I find that the headlights are switched on whilst driving in bright daylight.

The automatic full beam headlight function does not work properly. Full beam automatically switches off as soon as light is reflected from the smallest road sign. This is makes driving down dark country roads a chore (I live in a Chiltern village which is accessed by unlit single track roads).

The quality of the interior trim is poor, it stains very easily, especially if the trim is exposed to rainwater.

The car pulls to the left. The problem is gradually getting worse, to the extent that to drive in a straight line I need to turn the wheel between 5 to 10 degrees to the right. I am aware that a geometry check and adjustment may resolve this problem.

As last week, the front parking sensors have begun to overreact. As the car approaches the smallest object, the system bleeps and lights up to warn me of potential contact, even if the object is located more than 10 feet away.

The above faults may be expected of a 10 year old high mileage C-Class but I am of the opinion that a brand new Mercedes, which has clocked up just over 5k miles since new, should not suffer from such a long list of problems.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

I hate my C204!

Peter C

F

fivelittlefish

Oh dear - I've only had mine for 3 weeks and I'm very happy. As I said in the other thread, I've seen 51mpg, but only if I drive very carefully. It's certainly not an 'average', which is more like 35mpg

EDIT: Checked tonight and since the last reset, the average is 39mpg

I've had none of your other issues - did yours start off OK and gradually get worse?

Wait, mine pulls slightly to left as well...

Last edited by a moderator:

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Best road test another to see if it's the car and not you're exacting standards. If the other car is good reject yours under the sales of goods act or purchase a replacement.

If the other car is bad assume it's just not the car for you any buy another car that fits your standards.

Regrettably other than the geometry, transmission and parktronic faults that's what they are like. I suspect a lot is you being fickle. To get round issues turn off the light assist, use the wipers manually Etc and don't use auto lights. All those things you know when you need them so use them at your choice, not the cars.

Last edited:

MERCSPORT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 CLS 350 CDI Grand Edition
For the driver seat issue either take it to another main dealer with a decent reputation, or take it up with Mercedes UK. In cases like this, I usually keep fighting with the same dealer until I am happy, choice is yours but don't accept it as my w204 does not do this and it is nearly 5 years old.

For the transmission/gearbox issue I recommend talking to your dealer about a software upgrade however I will say the main dealer may get it wrong and you might have to return the car more than once.

Your car is still new and the engine is still tight, the more miles you cover the more economical it should become. Your engine is still tight at just 5 months/6000 miles. I personally believe that Mercedes engines improve with more miles and age.

The pulling to the left is probably caused by potholes etc.

I personally like the interior of the W204 so do not know what to recommend apart from some decent and appropriate cleaning products.

As for all the other issues, they need to be resolved by your supplying dealer, if you want you can talk to the manager and pick up these issues with him/her as you may see an improvement in the way you are dealt with, however it may not be easy getting hold of him/her. Let them know how you feel and demand something is done to your satisfaction. Most of the issues you are complaining of do not happen on my 5 year old w204 so should definitely not be happening on your 5 month old one!

Good luck and keep us posted

ioweddie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 AMG Sport Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
Hi, I've done 900 miles so far and have achieved 51.4 0n a 9 mile commute to work on rough iow roads very early in the morning before 7am virtually no other cars about, but I can't get 40 on the way home in traffic, mixed driving to london on 2 occasions rural roads and motorway below 80 gentle driving only got 47.9 , I presume it will get better as the engine loosens up with more miles as mentioned by another poster. I'm still getting used to it, the wipers work ok on auto, but you should control them not the car, same with auto lights, if your not happy then switch to manual on the risky country roads. Mine is steering straight when its not bouncing down the pothole riddled roads (we officially have the worst roads in the UK on the Isle of Wight). The only fault I have found so far is the bonnet has a spiders webb type marking under the laquer about the size of a fifty p coin, the dealer said they would get it resprayed at Mercedes cost, but I'm reluctant to go down that route as its metallic black and would not be sure of a perfect match, I'm going to try and negotiate a 50% discount on a becker map pilot or at least a set of black wheel centres as the blue one just don't look right on the black & silver wheels. Mines a 2013 model c220 cdi sport plus saloon with 7 speed auto box by the way. I'm pretty chuffed with it so far the only real gripe is waiting for my mudflaps as its always dirty and I'm washing it more than driving it. I agree the trim is not as good quality as my BMW was, and the plasic bits on the bumpers seem very flimsy also compaired to the Beemer. I will report again once its done a few more miles or something goes wrong. The dealer Esplanade on the Island have been excellent so far by the way. The other thing I forgot to mention is Its quite a bit noiser at speed on the motorway than my old BMW was, but it is riding on continental tyres 18" dia where as the Beemer was on Michelin Pilot sports on 17" rims, it might improve when they have bedded in.
Eddie

Last edited:
OP
Peter C1974

Peter C1974

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was given another identical C204 220CDi for two weeks to see how it compares with my car. That car had the same faults; gearbox, seat, wipers, etc.

I've booked my car in with another dealer and will deal with the first once matters are resolved.

I have switched off all the automatic functions - the car works better without them.

I also have a 61 reg BMW 520d Touring that I bought new last year. In comparison the BMW is fantastic, fault free and a pleasure to drive.

The C204 220CDi is not a good car. It is too slow and staid to be a sports car, too hard riding to be a luxury car, too cramped to be practical, built to a budget and doesn't feel like a quality product and is too expensive to be a cheap run-about. There are better ways to spend £35k!

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
It's not a cheap run about
With AMG suspension did you really expect a soft and comfortable ride?
Is it really a sports car?

I have found thus far that the 204 has exceptional build quality , and we rarely repair them. Maybe you should get rid and replace it with a 325d.

BMW's offer a completely different drive to MB. I would suggest that possibly a BMW would suit you better?

OP
Peter C1974

Peter C1974

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's not a cheap run about
With AMG suspension did you really expect a soft and comfortable ride?
Is it really a sports car?

I have found thus far that the 204 has exceptional build quality , and we rarely repair them. Maybe you should get rid and replace it with a 325d.

BMW's offer a completely different drive to MB. I would suggest that possibly a BMW would suit you better?

I enjoy both. My W123 230E is what I consider to be a proper Mercedes Benz. The C204 just doesn't cut it. My BMW is a superb car.

I was expecting a quality Coupe that drives as good as it looks. I was hoping for something a bit more special, I've had over 10 Mercs in the past. You're right, BMW does it better.

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
I must say if I had £35k to spend on a car, I'd test drive it first and make sure it was big enough for my needs. Doesn't excuse the faults though.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I wondered if you had a dud one but when you say that the loan car is the same, to be honest, my sympathy starts to wane. Some people simply don't get on with certain cars. No idea why, just the way it is.
I've had a few mercs, and driven a few 204's and never had anything but an excellent experience. I'm not saying all mercs are fault free, (but then hit any forum including BMW and read the litany of issues), but the issues you list don't quite ring right. Sure you could have issues with the auto lights or rain sensor, but doubtful on the same car at the same time, so either the entire merc system is poor, or, and please don't take offence, it's you.

I've had auto merc lights and auto merc wipers for 12 years and compared to other makes, e.g. Landrover, the merc system is more reliable and more effective than any other system I've experienced. Not foolproof (bright sunshine will trick both systems) but 99% of the time, spot on.
I'd not have AMG suspension on UK roads either but they do look good.

I'd chop it in and get a beemer - I personally don't like the interiors and wasn't impressed by the build quality of the modern ones (used to have a 3 series in the 80's) but hey, thats why different makes work, they suit different people.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi, I've done 900 miles so far and have achieved 51.4 0n a 9 mile commute to work on rough iow roads very early in the morning before 7am virtually no other cars about, but I can't get 40 on the way home in traffic, mixed driving to london on 2 occasions rural roads and motorway below 80 gentle driving only got 47.9 , I presume it will get better as the engine loosens up with more miles as mentioned by another poster. I'm still getting used to it, the wipers work ok on auto, but you should control them not the car, same with auto lights, if your not happy then switch to manual on the risky country roads. Mine is steering straight when its not bouncing down the pothole riddled roads (we officially have the worst roads in the UK on the Isle of Wight). The only fault I have found so far is the bonnet has a spiders webb type marking under the laquer about the size of a fifty p coin, the dealer said they would get it resprayed at Mercedes cost, but I'm reluctant to go down that route as its metallic black and would not be sure of a perfect match, I'm going to try and negotiate a 50% discount on a becker map pilot or at least a set of black wheel centres as the blue one just don't look right on the black & silver wheels. Mines a 2013 model c220 cdi sport plus saloon with 7 speed auto box by the way. I'm pretty chuffed with it so far the only real gripe is waiting for my mudflaps as its always dirty and I'm washing it more than driving it. I agree the trim is not as good quality as my BMW was, and the plasic bits on the bumpers seem very flimsy also compaired to the Beemer. I will report again once its done a few more miles or something goes wrong. The dealer Esplanade on the Island have been excellent so far by the way. The other thing I forgot to mention is Its quite a bit noiser at speed on the motorway than my old BMW was, but it is riding on continental tyres 18" dia where as the Beemer was on Michelin Pilot sports on 17" rims, it might improve when they have bedded in.
Eddie

That spider is rust coming to the surface,,,keep your eyes on it

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Most seat noises are caused through the seat material rubbing on the plastic surround, just put some PTFE on your finger and rub it along the inside edge of the surround, it should stop it

OP
Peter C1974

Peter C1974

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I must say if I had £35k to spend on a car, I'd test drive it first and make sure it was big enough for my needs. Doesn't excuse the faults though.

Oh, I had a good long test drive and the demo car seemed absolutely fine.

By this:

The C204 220CDi is not a good car. It is too slow and staid to be a sports car, too hard riding to be a luxury car, too cramped to be practical, built to a budget and doesn't feel like a quality product and is too expensive to be a cheap run-about. There are better ways to spend £35k!

I wasn't suggesting that I expect a C204 CDi to be a sports car, a luxury car, a practical car, a quality product and an affordable treat all in one. The point I was making that it is none of those.

OP
Peter C1974

Peter C1974

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Most seat noises are caused through the seat material rubbing on the plastic surround, just put some PTFE on your finger and rub it along the inside edge of the surround, it should stop it

I've looked into the cause of the creak. It has nothing to do with the plastic surround, the problem/s is/are with the seat frame.

I've taken it upon myself to attempt this repair: http://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/276928-drivers-seat-noise-fixed.html Unfortunately that did not yield any positive results.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom