Anyone know if its easy to reset valve clearance on 1995 e300 d

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Iirc, hydraulic tappets so no adjustment possible.

OP
mercmancdi

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
Iirc, hydraulic tappets so no adjustment possible.

Thanks just got car and going over all I can to improve if possible ,it's sounds as though its starting from cold on 4-5 cylinders for a few minutes and a bit rattley then runs find ,might be glow plugs ? Engine seems fine no blow by , no oil loss etc. thanks. Any advice or suggestions welcolme ( no jokes please ) Ie is inlet manifold as hard to remove as some say. I want to keep this old girl on the road for a while yet.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Thanks just got car and going over all I can to improve if possible ,it's sounds as though its starting from cold on 4-5 cylinders for a few minutes and a bit rattley then runs find ,might be glow plugs ? Engine seems fine no blow by , no oil loss etc. thanks. Any advice or suggestions welcolme ( no jokes please ) Ie is inlet manifold as hard to remove as some say. I want to keep this old girl on the road for a while yet.

Are you saying it sounds 'tappety' for a short time when starting up cold for the first time in the day? Could just be a sticking hydraulic follower. :confused: Maybe a few oil changes in quick succession or there's http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/120751127744?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla
Again, I've heard good results from other on my other favourite car forum. ;) ;)

OP
mercmancdi

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
Are you saying it sounds 'tappety' for a short time when starting up cold for the first time in the day? Could just be a sticking hydraulic follower. :confused: Maybe a few oil changes in quick succession or there's http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/120751127744?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla
Again, I've heard good results from other on my other favourite car forum. ;) ;)

Thanks I am changing oil anyway so will try this , although I still think it starts off a cylinder.

Rockall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many
Sounds very like a heater plug - not a big issue really

Bill

Last edited:
OP
mercmancdi

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Sounds very like a heater plug - not a big issue really

Bill

Thanks Bill , do you know if you have to remove inlet manifold to change heater plugs .

Stevie.

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
They can be tappety from 35000mls nothing wrong there, but as suggested test your glow plugs. Hope this helps

OP
mercmancdi

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Anyone ever took the inlet manifold off ,if so could they give me some advice,
Thanks in advance. It appears this is the easiest way to change glow plugs.

spock500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300TD, 1998
If your going to do an oil change, drain around a litre of oil from the engine once hot. Replace this with a litre of diesel and re-start.

Run for around 5 mins at 800 revs but no load, i.e don't drive it. Drain, replace oil filter and refill with semi synthetic.

This will help clear out the passageways which feed the hydraulic lifters.

Here's a couple from my OM605 engine in bits, note the tiny oil feed to the lifter (right pic)

hydtap.jpg

Last edited:
OP
mercmancdi

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
If your going to do an oil change, drain around a litre of oil from the engine once hot. Replace this with a litre of diesel and re-start.

Run for around 5 mins at 800 revs but no load, i.e don't drive it. Drain, replace oil filter and refill with semi synthetic.

This will help clear out the passageways which feed the hydraulic lifters.

Here's a couple from my OM605 engine in bits, note the tiny oil feed to the lifter (right pic)

hydtap.jpg
Thanks never knew that , will give it a go.

spock500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300TD, 1998
Anyone ever took the inlet manifold off ,if so could they give me some advice,
Thanks in advance. It appears this is the easiest way to change glow plugs.

Inlet manifold is pretty straightforward, however the glow plugs are a different story. Lots of engines running about with the 5 or sixth plug still in as stuck or worse still the hexagon part just swivelling around.

Unless these have been out in the last year or so they will be hard to remove, soak well and remove while the engine is hot by moving backwards and forwards in small amounts.

They have a low snapping tolerance, something like 30 Nm IIRC.

Have a Google, lots of threads on the subject, especially how to remove once snapped off in the head.

OP
mercmancdi

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Don,t know what to do now as I see so many reports of breaking glow plugs ,asking myself should I stick the uneven starting and a surge of smoke for a minute or two or chance changing them ? :confused:

spock500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300TD, 1998
I would tackle the job especially as you now know what's involved.

Maybe use WD40 for a week before trying, then get a torque wrench and set to 20Nm - this way you will be hard pushed to break the nut part.

You never know, they may just come out without a problem. What's the history/mileage of the car?

RichardCC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E300TD 1998
Changed mine 2 weeks ago and three of them were pretty well stuck, very gentle persuassion and a ****** good soaking is the answer.

The manifold is not to difficult to remove to get to the glow plugs, but a bit fiddly.

I did mine at my Merc Indies garage in the yard under his supervision thank goodness, but has been said it is not too difficult once you know what to do and follow the advice to give them a good soak for at least a few days or more.

Also be carefull on purchasing the glow plugs, the first ones I got did not have the correct head on them even tho I provided my correct vehicle details to the supplier, so couldn't reconnect the electrics, and had to go and get another set from a local supplier - this wiped out my 30% discount from euro and cost me an extra £35

Good Luck

spock500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300TD, 1998
I think you need to combine all of these threads for continuity.

Members are answering the same questions as unaware of previous answers.

Drop the admin an email to see if they can help with this.

Top Bottom