Speed before change?

1-star

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1975 W114 2.8 Auto
Hi, I've now got my 75 2.8 Auto 250 running well, but (being an absolute newbie in the world of Mercedes) I was wondering about the speed that the change from 2nd to 3rd should take place?

It appears that I was almost up to 70(!) before a change came in...is this normal? I am aware that this question might fall on many factors but having owned a few autos in the past; most had changed into top well before that.

Can anyone throw any light on this?

Thanks.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Hi, I've now got my 75 2.8 Auto 250 running well, but (being an absolute newbie in the world of Mercedes) I was wondering about the speed that the change from 2nd to 3rd should take place?

It appears that I was almost up to 70(!) before a change came in...is this normal? I am aware that this question might fall on many factors but having owned a few autos in the past; most had changed into top well before that.

Can anyone throw any light on this?

Thanks.

As with most/all auto's it depends on how hard you boot it as to when they'll change. Accelerate gently & I'm sure you'll get it to change up somewhat sooner (no idea how many gears your auto has :confused:)

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
My WIS documentation does not go back as far as the w114, but if its anything like the 124's it should have a cable that goes from the accelerator the brake pedal, that dictates how much and fast it changes gear (based in throttle position). I would check this is adjusted correctly.

rayhennig

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 300CE-24 Sportline
My WIS documentation does not go back as far as the w114, but if its anything like the 124's it should have a cable that goes from the accelerator the brake pedal, that dictates how much and fast it changes gear (based in throttle position). I would check this is adjusted correctly.

My W114 had a rod that went from the throttle linkage back to the gearbox. It has a ball joint that you can 'ping' off. Once off, it should be adjusted so that it will fit back on with no pulling - that is to say, its adjustment is such that the cup fits over the ball in its natural state. Er, if that makes sense.

All that does assume that the throttle adjustment (I think) plate is in the correctly adjusted position.

I remember that I adjusted my gearbox rod so that it was under slight tension before the cup would slip over the ball. This gave slightly smoother, higher changes.

It's a long time ago so the alcohol-soaked memory is having trouble!!!

Hope that gives you some clue.

RayH

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
First back off any kick down rods/ cables and try the car.

OP

1-star

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1975 W114 2.8 Auto
Thanks everyone!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
When the torque converter is worn out, this can stop the car from getting into top, if the car gets into top at very light throttle but drops out as soon as you apply any throttle, then the torque converter worn out, that is providing it is not incorrectly adjusted kick down rods or cables that are causing it, I would have said that the car should be in top at 35-40 mph and light throttle

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom