Question for 55k owners - newbie question

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
What fuel do you actually use ? I know the manual says 95 RON ordinary unleaded, is that what everyone uses ? Just checking before my first fill up :eek:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
No point in wasting money putting in a higher octane fuel than the engine can burn, some do it as they think the car will go better, but if the compression ratio is not high enough then just a waste of money

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Does it affect the performance ?

I don't now what the previous owner used but in the time I've had the CLS55, approx 2000 miles, the engine has become far smoother and responsive.

There is another thread about using high octane fuels in AMG engines, I'll have a search, it makes interesting reading.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I suggest you try it on a tank full, we have had some cars that were worse off, but that is hard to verify. I tried it on a long run and I got less miles per tank and felt nothing. There are some countries where 98ron cannot be bought and the car go very well on 95, rather than listening to hearsay do a web search on AMG engines and 98 ron fuel.

The engines have knock knock sensors built in, that retard the engine if the octane rating is not high enough, so driving the car you cannot hear any pinking taking place, you would have to be on a timed race track to prove the point, as you are up to the speed limit in 5 seconds on normal roads

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom