Advice on storage issues with SL55 please

oilman4345

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG SL55,2003, 5.4 liter
Hi,

It is likely that I will move overseas for at least 12-18 months.
As I will still have my own garage I would intend to keep my SL55 for the times when I am back in this country (a few days every 2-3 months).

What is the advice regaring the 2 batteries.? I am sure I should disconnect the main battery; however, are there any perceived issues on discnnecting the "electrics" battery?

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Get a charger...like those made by CTEK.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It is the rear one that needs it most, the front one does nothing other than the starter and there is no real common connection, I never had the need to charge my front one ever and I have left it 2 months

The Ctec is good as said above

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Having also been in the oil industry and away for extended periods of time, I have for years kept a battery conditioner on my 968 (which has a factory fitted alarm/immobiliser and electric clock, so left alone the battery would eventually discharge). From memory the longest time between engine starts was about 11 weeks - but I have never had a problem, plus keeping the car on the conditioner seems to extend the battery life!

CTEK conditioners get good reports - you want an "intelligent" one that shuts off when the battery is fully charged and only kicks back in when needed.

If money is no object, a carcoon will certainly look after the car - an aquaintance has a Ferrari 620 Scaglietti which is absolutely immaculate, it gets carcooned every winter until the weather improves! As you will be returning every few months, I would think a decent indoor car cover would be enough - keep the dust and spiders off without costing the earth.

OP
O

oilman4345

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG SL55,2003, 5.4 liter
Thanks for the advice. I will probably buy a CTEK charger then.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
There are other makes that do the same thing but whatever suits.

l5foye

Reaction score
My son recently bought a car that had been stored for an extended period. It soon developed a serious vibration through the steering. Cause -flat spots on front tyres.
My advice is to jack the car up ensuring that front wheels are off the ground.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
My son recently bought a car that had been stored for an extended period. It soon developed a serious vibration through the steering. Cause -flat spots on front tyres.
My advice is to jack the car up ensuring that front wheels are off the ground.

That will go away are a few trips, they need to be got warm so that the rubber can reform, but good advice if away a long time

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom