I have read I should block off egr on my 1995 e300 d ,anyone done this ?

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
I am removing my intake manifold on 1995 e300d and have been advised to block off my egr valve where it enters the hose ,, anyone done this,, is it a good idea etc ...?....?

This is what I have read

( While you are in there, make a replacement sheet metal gasket for the EGR valve, where it attaches to the air pipe. Copy the existing gasket but don't cut out the center. That way, it will block the flow of exhaust into the intake manifold, which is the cause of all the crud and poor performance.)

Last edited:

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
Just blank off the vac hose going to the egr valve.
Then unbolt the valve itself, make a blanking plate to go between the valve and housing. And refit

OP
mercmancdi

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
Then unbolt the valve itself, make a blanking plate to go between the valve and housing. And refit

Is this a good improvement , worth doing ?

Last edited:

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
The beauty of older Diesels is just how simple they are to modify / work on..
No electronic shunts needed!

Yes it is a worthwhile mod to do to your car as it means that the engine will now only breath clean air and not a percentage of sh*te from the exhaust..

I have bypassed the EGR on my car (via the electronic shunt) for the past 20,000 miles and there hasnt been the slightest problem with it..
Much less smoke (ironically) and the car pulls better from lower revs than it used to..

If you can I would clean out as much of the oily junk from the inlet manifold and EGR throat as you can do..
They can get extremely choked up over time..
When I disabled my EGR my car had only done around 40,000 miles and it was alarmingly filthy..
1st photo shows the dirty valve..
2nd photo after I had cleaned it..
I can assure you I have seen them much, much worse than that !
I must admit I only cleaned the EGR throat out as the removal of the inlet manifold on a 270 Cdi seems too major an undertaking for me...

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 200
  • After.JPG
    After.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 188
OP
mercmancdi

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Thanks Simon I have made a start all the cover and pipe runs across top of engine off and throttle linkage off only thing is the we plastic pipes going into the inlet manifold are brittle and 2 broke off so need to find best was to remove the plastic bit stuck in manifold and get new bits , if I knew the exact name. :)

OP
mercmancdi

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes

I made a plate to blank off exhaust fumes going to inlet manifold ..Been on a 5 mile run and appears ok although I feel it ticks over a bit faster .. There is a ajustable bar which runs from just above where i fitted the plate leading to inlet manifold and connects to throttle linkage would this need adjustment now the blanking plate is fitted.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
i mdid the EGR mod on my C220 CDi and it seems to have made very little difference to the smoke level i see when i floor it (rarely)
it could be due to the fact that it just potters around at the moment though

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mine too makes a load of smoke briefly when I boot it after a week of pottering commuter runs to and from work..
But the smoke is quite brief (about 5 seconds) and then its clear..
With the EGR as it was it bellowed smoke pretty much every time I put my foot down..
Let me put it another way.. Its the first car I have had MOT'd that didnt need three blasts for the smoke test.. It past on the first blast and that was good enough (.6 was the reading)..
It also happens to be the first car I have owned that I have done the EGR mod to..

Mine is running sooooo well at the moment.. Its as though it "knows" its loved..

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
on a W124 E300D multivalve all you need to do is this:

Picture101.jpg

E300014.jpg

Last edited:

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
The above assumes the valve is closed and not letting exhaust gases back into the inlet

By fitting the blanking plate and undoing just x2 bolts you are ensuring this will not happen

OP
mercmancdi

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
I blocked mine off with a blanking plate a few days ago and tick over has increased slightly so I adjusted the throttle linkage slightly , done a few hundred miles now and there is a slight power increase but shocked at the increase in fuel consumption up about 5-8 mpg . Although I had the inlet manifold off and cleaned it out so this might have helped as we'll........
Could not believe the amount of crap like black tar I took out of the inlet manifold. So thanks to the guys who advised me to do this .

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I know its not quite the same as a simple blanking plate, but when I did the EGR shunt on my car I cant say I have noticed the fuel consumption alter either way..
I DID notice less smoke and a little more low end grunt..Oh and a nice growl from the engine..
I also like the warm fuzzy feeling I get from knowing my engine isnt breathing rubbish..:D

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom