Whistling fans

pwayrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 E Class 220 cdi Avantarde
I have a W211 eclass 220 CDi avantgarde from May 2007 and seem to be suffering from an intermittent whistling when the internal fan is on. It does not matter whether this is set to auto or manual.

Has anybody suffered from the same problem or can anybody tell me a cheap/quick way to fix this.

I am not mechanically minded but do know somebody who is reasonably good around cars

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
It's possibly the flaps slightly out of adjustment. You need to have them 'normalised' or reset. I think this can only be done using STAR

I had the same in my S203 and the dealer reset the ventilation faps and cured it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Can you identify from where about or from the whistle comes from as some grills can be removed, the main flap is the demister one, if it does not do it when demisting then that is the flap, sometimes parking tickets slide down and get caught up

jp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 E280 sport estate. Aprilia RSV1000 Tuono, CCM 404, Mk1 le mans
I have a W211 eclass 220 CDi avantgarde from May 2007 and seem to be suffering from an intermittent whistling when the internal fan is on. It does not matter whether this is set to auto or manual.

Has anybody suffered from the same problem or can anybody tell me a cheap/quick way to fix this.

I am not mechanically minded but do know somebody who is reasonably good around cars

I was just about to make a post re this same issue, we call it our pet hamster. It's intermittent and when the radio/ music isn't on, quite annoying. I am fairly mechanically minded so willing to have a go. Any more suggestions anyone?

jp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's possibly the flaps slightly out of adjustment. You need to have them 'normalised' or reset. I think this can only be done using STAR

I had the same in my S203 and the dealer reset the ventilation faps and cured it.

Would this show up as a fault as I have recently had a diagnostic done and this didn't show?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I'm guessing it should do, otherwise not sure what prompted the dealer to correct it. Unless the tech just heard the noise and did it by default?

Troon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A big one
I've found that having the rear vents closed causes a whistle, in case that's your cause.

jp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've found that having the rear vents closed causes a whistle, in case that's your cause.

tried it, the hamster's still in there :(

jp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hey pwayrider, did you resolve it?
Something to add is that starts after a bump in the road. As mine's a Sport it bumps quite a lot!
Re televisions response, no it's not coming from the demister, seems to be coming from the central vents.
Would it be very irresponsible to blow some WD40 in there as it looks like getting the grills out maybe tricky - or is there a simple trick??
Sounds like the fan on a pc...

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270cdi Avantgarde
JP

So is yours more of a quiet squeak than a whistle?

If so, I had that on my CLK. On mine, the blower motor is behind the glove compartment and you can get to the bottom of the motor from the passenger footwell (remove the lining from the top of the footwell if that makes sense)

Once you have done that you will see the bottom of the blower motor housing - there is a rubber bung at the bottom of the motor - remove and spray some grease onto the motor bearing. This should stop the squeak.

HTH

Dave

jp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
if anyone's still suffering from this check the post " 211 fan removal instructions"

Top Bottom