W202. HIDs

taxii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200, 1996, 2000
Is it possible to retrofit HIDs to the w202? Ive got them on my FTO and it gets through the new mot regs by being very low and its still a bit of a grey area for them so they err on the customers side but I wouldnt mind them on the merc and have noticed it has the headlight level adjuster on the dash so is it fitted with self leveling as stated in the new mot regs and will I have to retro fit washers as well. If I have to fit the washers then Im pretty sure Ive seen bumpers for the 202 on Fleabay breaking with them on so could just put one on and either put another bottle under the dash or take a feed off the washer bottle but its whether the electrics will take a conversion that worried me. HAs anyone done one and if so is there a guide?
Cheers

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Yes it's a minefield and dependent on MOT station interpretation of the rules.
The manual adjuster won't count towards self levelling.

The OEM system has sensors to detect how level the vehicle is and motors in the headlamps to change the beam angle.

There are also issues with beam pattern and whether it causes dazzle.

Headlamp washers may need a new washer reservoir as well as pipework, nozzles and bumper. Please be aware that the nozzles from MB cost in the region of £90 so you should look at pricing up second hand ones before you start to look att this.

OP
taxii

taxii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200, 1996, 2000
Yup the new regs are def a minefield. I was lucky with the FTO but looking at the print out the testers get it can be very confusing as it's not worded very clearly. I was told by a couple of testers that as long as it still passes a beam test then it's a pass but that was on the FTO so not sure about the merc. Im thinking it should just be a little wiring and screw the ballasts to the car and put the new bulbs in. I suppose I could always take them out and put the standards back in come mot time.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Please don't join that growing crowd of selfish, inconsiderate drivers who fit HiD bulbs into light units designed for halogen and end up dazzling the rest of us!!
If you are going to do it, do it properly by fitting the OEM parts.

Alps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 E63s S213, SOLD - 2013 Weistec E63 AMG, SOLD - 2004 E55 (x2)
if you git the complete headlight unit with washers then the aim will be spot on, you can fit the levelling also if you want to.
i retrofitted everything bar the levelling on my C36 , it already had the washers and i used the manual levelling for when the car was loaded

nicolas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E63 AMG 6.2 PP
Also bear in mind that if you are putting hid without washer, you will fail your MOT as new and tougher regulations will be in place shortly. A lot of drivers who have HID will have serious issues with their cars when MOT is due...

Last edited:

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
I have retro fitted OEM Xenons to my AMG including the self levelling.
You have manual levelling headlights, if you had auto levelling there would not be a dial.
Headlight Wash/Wipe (HWW) can be very easily retro fitted though, you do not have to replace the bumper, just the two trim panels immediatly under the headlights, a new pump and grommet for the washer bottle, wiper motors x2 c/w wiper arms and blades, and a relay and wiring loom. The only thing I bought new was the relay and the loom, relay because I did,nt know which one it was to take from a scrap car, and the loom as these can,t be very easily removed as they are incorporated into the left side under bonnet loom from the factory.
I have to agree with Peter on this regarding the lack of consideration for other road users, if you just want better lights why don,t you fit a decent set of Halogen lamps, or even fit later headlights as they changed around 97 I believe.
If you have a single cover over the lamps at the back of the headlight then your headlights are the earlier type the later type have two covers.

OP
taxii

taxii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200, 1996, 2000
Also bear in mind that if you are putting hid without washer, you will fail your MOT as new and tougher regulations will be in place shortly. A lot of drivers who have HID will have serious issues with their cars when MOT is due...

It depends on the tester. My FTO has just gone through with after market HIDs and no probs as long as the beam patterns ok. The wordings not too good and leaves a lot to the tester to decide. Some I rang said it would fail and some said its down to interpretation so it's more to do with do I need to change the lenses or any electrics. I didn't need to on the FTO but not sure about the 202.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
The OEM Xenon for the 202 was only in the later style headlight, (two covers on the back of the headlight) and does have different glass lens, it "might" even have a different reflector as well.

OP
taxii

taxii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200, 1996, 2000
So I'm probebly better off forgetting the hids then and just trying to find a really good bulb that will still give me the white daylight glow without having to change the lenses and wiring. Shame as I love the way hids light the road up on the FTO.

fast28

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55-conversion (R129) & CL63 AMG (W216)
Section 1.7 of the MOT inspection manual states:

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.
Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.
Headlamp washers may work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch

INSPECTION METHOD

Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted, switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.

REASON FOR REJECTION

A headlamp levelling or cleaning device inoperative or otherwise obviously defective..

In layman's terms, if you have HIDs fitted there is liklihood that a washer and levelling system will be fitted. If these exist on the vehicle then they must be inspected. If these are not present then thay cannot be tested and therefore no reason for rejection can be given.

The above is the only mention of HIDs in the MOT inspection manual, no mention of if aftermarket HIDs are fitted then they must have a washer and self-levelling system. Yes you will be doing other motorists a favour by fitting washer jets and automatic self-levelling but they will become an additional item that is inspected by the MOT rules. Currently it is not illegal to fit HIDs without washer jets and self-levelling yourself, it's an EU directive for vehicle manufacturers though.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Surely it doesn't need to specify whether it's after market or not...it's a requirement.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Last time I looked, the requirement for self-levelling and headlamp washers was for new cars. Not applicable to retrofits

If the MOT info quoted above is current, and contains all the info about HIDs, then retrofits are legal

Nick Froome

Alps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 E63s S213, SOLD - 2013 Weistec E63 AMG, SOLD - 2004 E55 (x2)
The OEM Xenon for the 202 was only in the later style headlight, (two covers on the back of the headlight) and does have different glass lens, it "might" even have a different reflector as well.

correct glass and reflector is different, glass will have D2R stamped on the bottom

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
The following document MOT 2012
specifies that aftermarket Hids will only be accepted if the car has both headlight washers and a self-levelling system.

HTH

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
The following document MOT 2012
specifies that aftermarket Hids will only be accepted if the car has both headlight washers and a self-levelling system.

HTH

ill find out tomorrow, MOT time for my baby

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom