Privacy Glass - How is this added ?

JezzaL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 2012 1.8
Hello,

I have a couple of issues with a recently received company car. I asked for privacy glass. As this is a saloon, I couldn't add this on to my order as an extra, but the autolease company added it on their system.

When it turned up it didn't have privacy glass (not really surprised!). I was told that a bloke fits this at Mercedes and they can do this in an afternoon. Does anyone know if this is right ? Ive just read on another post that privacy glass isn't a retro fit, and it sounds like the glass should be produced that way, rather than have a film hair dryed to the existing glass?

It also came with no cruise control, so it looks like I wont be keeping this car.

thanks.

OP
J

JezzaL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 2012 1.8
Thanks for the replies.

Just had a "little read".

1st experience with Mercedes not being the best to be honest.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thanks for the replies.

Just had a "little read".

1st experience with Mercedes not being the best to be honest.

You must not be put off, all the dealers are not like that :D

Just many:(

orb the Impaler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 SLK 250 CDi AMG | Volvo V70 2.5T AWD | MV Agusta F4 | 1999 YZF-R1
Privacy glass is just film.

Hopefully it will come off as advertised too - I have it on the back windows of my C1 which is leased.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Privacy glass is just film.

Hopefully it will come off as advertised too - I have it on the back windows of my C1 which is leased.

No its not. Factory fitted Privacy glass is tinted glass, aftermarket is a film.

The film is fitted to the inside of the glass. The heatgun is only used to "heat shrink" the film to windows that are curved in 2 directions i.e the rear window. The film is laid on the outside of the window and moulded to the correct shape then fitted to the inside and smoothed.

It is an art that many do but not many master.

OEM tint is 20% i.e 20% of light allowed through

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
One has to be careful with the film used, some contain metal and this knocks out the radio reception and locking on Mercedes cars

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
One has to be careful with the film used, some contain metal and this knocks out the radio reception and locking on Mercedes cars

The Johnsons film doesn't - I have it on my W203

orb the Impaler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 SLK 250 CDi AMG | Volvo V70 2.5T AWD | MV Agusta F4 | 1999 YZF-R1
No its not. Factory fitted Privacy glass is tinted glass, aftermarket is a film.

The film is fitted to the inside of the glass. The heatgun is only used to "heat shrink" the film to windows that are curved in 2 directions i.e the rear window. The film is laid on the outside of the window and moulded to the correct shape then fitted to the inside and smoothed.

It is an art that many do but not many master.

OEM tint is 20% i.e 20% of light allowed through

And can you tell the difference between factory fitted glass and a proper aftermarket film? I really doubt it. I'm very picky and I'd rather go with film as (a) you can remove it (see above) and (b) there's a security benefit.

I rather suspect (however I don't know, hence I suspect) it's a lot cheaper. Got it on my C1 and V70 and it was GBP140 for the V70 and it's flawless.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
And can you tell the difference between factory fitted glass and a proper aftermarket film?

On the rear windows yeah, it is easy.
You will see the black dots on the surround.

One thing to bare in mind here is insurance.
Most do not charge extra for factory privacy glass but many do charge extra for aftermarket tints. I was with Admiral and they wanted over £150 on the E350 to add tinted windows, so I moved to LV who only charged £25, but something to consider.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And can you tell the difference between factory fitted glass and a proper aftermarket film? I really doubt it.

Not my point, i was differentiating between OEM and aftermarket tinted windows and the difference in what they entail i.e tinted glass or glass and film.

My W203 has Johnsons Premium film at 20% on.

P1020763.jpg

Yes you can see the dots on the surround but that doesn't bother me and looks fine

I'd rather go with film as you can remove it.

Yes easily, it just peels off.

There's a security benefit. .

Indeed the film will stop any glass entering the cabin in the event of an accident, a massive benefit when you, like I, have children in the back

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Some how to me the films all look to be too dark, would not the cars look better if all the windows were done with something less black looking, I have the privacy glass on my CL and all the side windows look the same, I just do not like that black look on the rear section only

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I thought Privacy Glass would be too dark to be used forward of the B pillar, or where the B pillar would be?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I thought Privacy Glass would be too dark to be used forward of the B pillar, or where the B pillar would be?

My car is very dark looking window wise, I must be bordering the legal limit on mine, I do not think that I have ever seen a MB with different side glass front and rear from the factory

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
My car is very dark looking window wise, I must be bordering the legal limit on mine, I do not think that I have ever seen a MB with different side glass front and rear from the factory

Except John's (developer215) E class with SA 840 Dark Tinted Glass?

picture.php

taxii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200, 1996, 2000

Mine has darker back than front but it is an older model and def not film so a factory job. It gives a nice brown tint to the inside of the car.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
This was my 535d...
bmw4.jpg

It is hard to see here, but the boot window was 25%, the rear window was 35% and the front window was 55%.
The front window was illegal but I never got pulled with it, but you could still see my face through it and that I think is important, they tend to leave you alone if they can see you, and it helps bikers etc. as they can see you have seen them.

The back window was 15% btw..
bmw3.jpg

You can see it is film where the heater is in the glass.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Some how to me the films all look to be too dark, would not the cars look better if all the windows were done with something less black looking, I have the privacy glass on my CL and all the side windows look the same, I just do not like that black look on the rear section only

Agree I'd love to blacken all my windows to the same as my back ones but I really like the dark tints where I can get them

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom