SL 300 Auto 1991

spiro

Reaction score
Help!

My wife bought me this car six years ago for my birthday and I am slowly getting it restored back to showroom condition. It has 75,000 miles on the clock. Mercedes have worked on the mechanics and on the electrics, fitting a new ignition switch and instrument cluster. They could not carry over the last mileage because there is no facility to do so.

My problem is this: If the engine is switched off, it won't immediately start again. The engine either turns over, but will not start, or it won't turn over at all. The remedy is to leave it alone for 30 mins and then it starts no problem. Mercedes have experienced this problem themselves, but cannot find anything wrong with the car and have asked me to contact this forum for advice.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This is not easy,,, it has the new ignition switch so it has to be a poor connection, and this one has the MB fitted alarm immobiliser , a bad connection on the K38 starter lock out relay if fitted is a known fault, but that would not stop it from starting if the engine is turning over.

When you turn the key does the dash all light up as normal

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
I would just look at the simple things like a good spark and fuel pressure
It's unlikely to be much else

robparker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
Mercedes have experienced this problem themselves, but cannot find anything wrong with the car and have asked me to contact this forum for advice.

Haha, Mercedes advised to contact a forum! Shows how lost some of these new guys must be if you can't just plug it in!

robparker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
It does almost sound like 2 different problems. Turning over and not firing could be a hot sensor somewhere that needs to cool down, or condensation in the dizzy cap. But nothing that would stop it turning over, like a sticky starter motor, or just bad connection/earth etc somewhere

Last edited:
Top Bottom