Old crack in windscreen on car just bought will my windscreen insurance still cover i

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
If you buy a car with a crack in the corner of the windscreen which is easy to tell its be cracked a long time as its going green in between the layers of glass will my windscreen cover still cover this ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If you buy a car with a crack in the corner of the windscreen which is easy to tell its be cracked a long time as its going green in between the layers of glass will my windscreen cover still cover this ?

No one ever comes to check, they just say yes, you pay your £50 excess and thats it

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Maybe they won't notice it after the slate fell off the roof through it ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Mine for the SL that I broke was £650

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)

as an aside, are premiums going up (as usual) or is it going to start to get back to realistic levels? im fed up of paying £500 to insure a car that my dad, with a claim within the last 5 years, paid less than half what i do, with a learner driver (my mother) and business useage on his policy. yes he is 20 years older than me, but seriously? how do you justify such a vast difference?

ChrisKnottIns

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisknott.co.uk
Your Mercedes
na
as an aside, are premiums going up (as usual) or is it going to start to get back to realistic levels? im fed up of paying £500 to insure a car that my dad, with a claim within the last 5 years, paid less than half what i do, with a learner driver (my mother) and business useage on his policy. yes he is 20 years older than me, but seriously? how do you justify such a vast difference?

Hi turbopete, please PM me your real name and postcode and I'll happily have a look at this for you. Your employment status on your forum profile is set to Jobseeker. If that's still true it would certainly be a factor. Without knowing who you are I can't comment on your specific details.

OP
mercmancdi

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
Hi turbopete, please PM me your real name and postcode and I'll happily have a look at this for you. Your employment status on your forum profile is set to Jobseeker. If that's still true it would certainly be a factor. Without knowing who you are I can't comment on your specific details.

You have raised an interesting point here , as in what employment status makes insurance cheaper or same which job titles makes insurance cheaper.
Please share.

pipmk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350cdi Sport cabriolet

I expect you could get away with it but it would be dishonest to do so.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I expect you could get away with it but it would be dishonest to do so.

true, but at least Dick Turpin wore a mask before robbing you, unlike insurance companies!

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Isnt it a little daft to be asking about how to con your way into a new screen, on a section that has two or three insurance company's who regularly post?

just saying....

pipmk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350cdi Sport cabriolet
true, but at least Dick Turpin wore a mask before robbing you, unlike insurance companies!

Stealing from a thief is still theft. Depends on your morality really.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Stealing from a thief is still theft. Depends on your morality really.

this is also true. however, when my C250 turbodiesel took fire (i had owned the car for only 4 months) i could not, at the time, replace it like for like for less than £5k. the insurance said that their price book said trade value was £3k. i fought and got an extra £200 out of them. i had the reciept from the previous owner stating i paid £4750 for the car. they said the average mileage for the car should have been 8k per year where in fact the average mileage at the time for a diesel car was 15k per year. mine had averaged 16k per year. an auto version of the same car, same year, was advertised at the local MB dealers for £8k

in fact, why do insurance companies ask the value of the car, if they they ignore this information if a claim arises? in my experience, they make up rules to suit themselves, and charge ever increasing prices for the privelidge of being conned!

this is the only reason i am all in favour of getting back whatever you can, when the opportunity arises! yes, perhaps i am a little bitter still at what i experienced, but you insure against losses and as i wasnt able to buy another car, same age and spec in similar condition with similar mileage, i feel that my losses werent covered. this is also the reason why i believe an excess shouldnt be placed on a policy. we are paying insurance to cover our losses. so why should we have to pay an excess which, like premiums, seems to be ever increasing and cover decreasing.

if anyone in the insurance industry wants to explain this all to me, please feel free to. my cover has decreased dramatically as prices have increased, excesses increased etc. i am more than willing to go into details if required

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
For £145 don't bother...your excess will be £50 at least so £95 saving.

Then you have to mention the glass claim at renewal time...i know a lot of insurers say that they won't raise the price for this but when you get quotes a lot of insurers won't offer a quote when you have a claim whereas they will if you don't.

For this reason my dad's insurance went up £200 after two glass claims in one year, despite NCB being intact. The cheapest 4 insurers on the comparison website disappeared when we remembered to add in the glass quote.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
You have raised an interesting point here , as in what employment status makes insurance cheaper or same which job titles makes insurance cheaper.
Please share.

It does make a big difference...I don't have a job in the UK so was told I had to put unemployed by my insurer. This gave me a quote of £900. When i put retired it went down to under half that so I went with this.

They asked about my age (28) and how I was retired. I replied truthfully I am not seekign a job in the UK, don't claim a single benefit and never have and living off savings so I'm retired... and they confirmed this was fine. Still can't see how a retired 28 year old is any less likely to crash than one claiming job seekers allowance but there you go...

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Still can't see how a retired 28 year old is any less likely to crash than one claiming job seekers allowance but there you go...

exactly. total rip off.

i cant even get the same policy i had at age 20, never mind for the same price!

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Dont forget theres a lot of people that make false claims. This also affects those who make no claims. Remember insurance companys are there to make a profit. They are not a money pit or charity.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

OP
mercmancdi

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
I paid screen cover at £38 for this year and to replace the window I have to pay £75 ,so window costs me £113 cost insurance £27 ....... And they prob get it cheaper than me so who's ripping who off ... Also 34 years never a claim ...what thanks do I get ....A. rising premium every year.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom