ML270 Steering Noise/Vibration?

bpar1713

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 W220 2000
My 2004 W163 has developed an unusual noise and slight vibration in the LH front wheel.
The noise comes when turning hard to the right at low speeds as in a roundabout. The first time I noticed it was the day after my indie replaced the engine mountings.
It is as though the edge of the LH front tyre was rubbing something like a loose mud flap or as though I was driving on one of those very small continuous ripple strips they put between Highway lanes. It may happen at higher speeds but is hard to pick then due to the speed.
We've just checked the wheel bearings - all OK and repaired the upper control arm bushes. The lower ball joints were replaced about 30,000 km ago together with a new rack. . It's not a tyre problem as I've just changed LH & RH Front around and the noise is still LH Front.
We are out of possibilities and really would appreciate any suggestions.

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Drive shaft, inboard or outboard coupling worn?

Last edited:

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Noises of the loud clicking/clunking kind, outer, lesser noises and feel-able lumpiness on power, inner.

OP
B

bpar1713

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 W220 2000
Problem Solved

I finally got to my indi late last week. All guards, flaps etc. were in place and he couldn't find any other possible causes so replaced the LH engine mount as a last resort and the noise has gone!
He used Mercedes mounts, couldn't see anything wrong with the old ones but did the replacement under warranty so he and I are both happy.
Many thanks to everyone, particularly oigle and wireman, for their suggestions. Very much appreciated!:)

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
I finally got to my indi late last week. All guards, flaps etc. were in place and he couldn't find any other possible causes so replaced the LH engine mount as a last resort and the noise has gone!
He used Mercedes mounts, couldn't see anything wrong with the old ones but did the replacement under warranty so he and I are both happy.
Many thanks to everyone, particularly oigle and wireman, for their suggestions. Very much appreciated!:)

Most unusual that a new mount would be faulty. Sounds odd. Glad you have sorted it.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom