Help with costs from Mercedes?

cmcv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 2005 350
I've had an intermittent problem with my central locking for some time. I've been told that I need a new central locking pump and some seals renewed to help with condensation. Surprisingly, the dealership has also said that Mercedes are willing to meet half the costs? Anyone else heard of this?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome, first I have done a post in the DIY section on the boot leaks, it cost nothing to do and it really works, take a look

How much are MB asking to put your car right for the seals and the pump

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Yes half of an awful lot might not be so cheap !

OP
C

cmcv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 2005 350
They've quoted me £1044. That's with MB paying 50%.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well you can seal your boot for £7.50 and get a new pump at £800 or a good second hand one for say £400

blaser24nig

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Stunning SL350 - Gone
@ Malcolm, is it normal then for SL to have condensation on the inside of the front windscreen then? Is there any solution to this?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
@ Malcolm, is it normal then for SL to have condensation on the inside of the front windscreen then? Is there any solution to this?

Does your car stand out all day, just the heater box drains if blocked with rubbish

OP
C

cmcv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 2005 350
Yes, my car lives on the street and there are lots of trees shedding leaves right now. The complete list of problems are: central locking sometimes doesn't work, boot doesn't open, need to use manual key at times just to get into the car, centre console in car now jammed shut, electronics don't work when car first driven (heated seats, roof etc), condensation on the inside of all the windows, blower to clear really slow initially so it takes ages to demist the car. I've already tried 2 local garages (non MB) who couldn't find the problem so I wonder if I should just go ahead and pay the £1044, given that the pump would cost £800 alone. I thought it odd that MB are offering to pay 50%, so I wondered if this might be a known design fault with the SL's???

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The problem could also be damp in the boot as the boot is nor sealed off like a normal car, the heater box drain does need to be checked.

You could remove the PSE locking pump and raise it 5mm , dry it out and it could be OK without having to buy a new one, there are post on this

OP
C

cmcv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 2005 350
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm not at all mechanically minded (being of the fairer sex) so although I know what you're saying may save me money, I wouldn't have a clue where to start. By the time I attempt to explain all this to a local garage, I'm inclined to think I should just go to MB. One of the earlier posts said that even after MB do the work the problem might still not be fixed, so maybe I'll look for some guarantees from them too. Cheers.

Some guy on the internet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A few.
Speak to an independent Mercedes facility.

Some of them can rebuild central locking vacuum pumps for a fraction of the price of a new one.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Speak to an independent Mercedes facility.

Some of them can rebuild central locking vacuum pumps for a fraction of the price of a new one.

Sadly not with these CAN controlled PSE pumps, all one can do is the clean the PCB and re lacquer it. If the pump has gone then you need another one as the pump cannot be bought on its own.

When the pumps are damp, the CAN signals get confused, if it can be dried off and it works, then nothing more to do other than stop the water getting in by doing the boot mod as in the DIY section for the way MB do it it will still leak.

Sadly they are not allowed to do it my way

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
If the car is damp inside and the heater is slow to clear it then I would suspect the pollen filters or filters for the internal air are blocked. I'd change those, then check the a/c to make sure it is blowing cold

Assuming the a/c is OK I'd pull out all the carpets that will come out to see if there is any water trapped inside the car. If they are wet leave them in your hose for a couple of days to dry out

After that I'd take the car for a decent run with the a/c and heater on on till all the condensation goes and the car is hot and dry inside. Then see what it is like next time you drive it

Damp inside the car is indicative of water leaks, a/c not working, blocked drains and blocked pollen filters

Nick Froome

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only 2 places where water gets in on a 230, the spout want cutting off in the rear of the front wheel arch and the boot seals, when done as my mod in the diy section they do not leak anymore

Top Bottom