Should I buy a trolley jack?

Beemer2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E250 petrol W212
I have bought new (reduced to 17") wheels and winter tyres for my 2011 W212 Sport. I have never used the MB supplied jack and am wondering if I should invest in a trolley jack even although i would not be using it for any other purpose than (4) wheel changing?

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Always worth having one. A good cheap halfords one for 20 odd quid even includes stands (essential).
And think of those other little jobs you can do like changing pads and discs when the time comes ;)

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
very useful things, i bought one years ago when i was working on my landrover, its amazing how often you need something like that.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Mercedes used to provide jacking pads on the sills for trolley jacks but the latest models seem to have elaborate moulded nylon rectangular sockets for the car's own jack end. Just make sure any trolley jack you buy has a good arm pad which will not damage the underside of the car.

Silver_Star

Reaction score
Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
Your Mercedes
W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
^^ Yes or if the jack doesn't come with a decent pad, I find an ice hockey puck does the job nicely. They are very strong and made out of vulcanised rubber.

DSCN3040.jpg

Although if you are just changing wheels, it is probably easier to jack off the diff to do the rear wheels and the front central jacking point to do the front wheels....it saves jacking the car up 4 times.

taxii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200, 1996, 2000
I think the question was really about whether having the bigger wheels will mean the standard jack wont lift the car high enough to change the wheel but if its like any other car Ive owned and very few have stayed with standard size wheels I think the standard jack should still do the job ok. Ive got 18s on my FTO and the standard jack lifts them fine enough to get the wheel off easily enough without the need for a trolly jack. although they are very handy to have around.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
If the correct tyres have been fitted to the new wheels it will make no difference to the overall wheel diameter, so jacking will not be a problem.

It's only when one changes the car's ride height (fitting shorter springs) can one experience clearance issues. On my lowered S203 a standard trolley jack would not fit under the car!

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
If you have the spare £s and space, I would buy a trolley jack.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I wouldn't get a diddy cheapo £20 2 tonne one. I had one of those, and it wasn't man enough. It was quite portable though.

I have two three tonne Halfords jobbies, one Halfords own, one draper, which gradually sinks, which isn't great. The point is, they have much higher reach than the 2 tonne ones, plus greater lifting capacity. I wouldn't be without them, but ALWAYS get some axle stands in there before you start working under the car.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I bought a nice 5 ton low slung trolley jack from the local tip for £10,,,I have been looking for a rubber something to place in the middle so thanks Silver Star for that.

As grober said the new ones are odd

spock500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300TD, 1998
Agree on the cheap options as they don't hold their specified weight.

The smaller the hydraulic cylinder the more you need to pump to raise the vehicle.

I opted for a wolf 3 ton which has a handy foot operated lift. Basically you can move the cup into position in one move, then start with the handle, great for changing wheels ect..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wolf-3-To...y-Hydraulic-Garage-trolley-jack-/370628121140

Last edited:
OP
Beemer2

Beemer2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E250 petrol W212
Agree on the cheap options as they don't hold their specified weight.

The smaller the hydraulic cylinder the more you need to pump to raise the vehicle.

I opted for a wolf 3 ton which has a handy foot operated lift. Basically you can move the cup into position in one move, then start with the handle, great for changing wheels ect..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wolf-3-To...y-Hydraulic-Garage-trolley-jack-/370628121140

Looks a good unit but (unless I'm mistaken) why plastic wheels!

spock500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300TD, 1998
They are metal, my neighbours can vouch for that as I drag it around my drive :)

It's a heavy unit which may put some people off, but lifts a car quickly and stays there.

OP
Beemer2

Beemer2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E250 petrol W212
They are metal, my neighbours can vouch for that as I drag it around my drive :)

It's a heavy unit which may put some people off, but lifts a car quickly and stays there.

David,

I have an E250 W212 will I need to fit a rubber pad to a Wolf lift?

spock500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300TD, 1998
The older MB's tend to have a rubber foot which sits nicely inside the cup of the jack.

On the newer models you may need to purchase this separately unless it came with the tool set?

Not 100% sure, perhaps someone else can advise.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
don't stop at one

I bought two of Lidl's 2-tonne trolleys over the years. One is lower in profile than the other, which has a movable jacking arm to permit offset pumping, good for when in my garage rather than on the driveway. I can raise the whole side of the car pretty quickly, and either end, as necessary.They do fit the jacking cups ok.
£40.00 for the pair if memory serves and all that

Just to repeat the advice given by my Dad, and countless others,

" NEVER WORK UNDER AN UNSUPPORTED VEHICLE. JACKS ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH. USE AXLE STANDS, OR AT LEAST THE SPARE WHEEL SLUNG UNDER THE CAR BEFORE YOU STICK ANY BIT OF YOURSELF UNDER THERE"

Last edited:

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
I bought a Beefy 3 ton trolley Jack..
In my opinion you cannot overdo the lifting capacity..
The only thing is that the Jack weighs a ton !!!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
If you have a Costco they have had a decent looking aluminium one.

Attachments

• photo12zz.jpg
    photo12zz.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
If you have a Costco they have had a decent looking aluminium one.

Very nice, unfortunately not. :(
How much may I ask, perhaps if reasonable, someone could pick one up for me. :D

Top Bottom