It pays to shop around.

R W

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 E320cdi/ Sclass 2012 350cdi
Last year I was insured with Swinton. I had a renewal quote on line from them of £238.LV were cheapest quoting £187. I phoned Swinton local office yesterday to see if it was cheaper or match LV quote. The girl quoted me £460. I then had to give her my on line quote # & she said she would see what she could do.

She phoned back quoting £360, with cash back after 6 months ( dont know how that works) giving me a total cost of £250ish.

I declined her offer & phoned LV, price was as per on line of £187, all uncomplicated & completed in 5 mins.

Dont understand how one company can vary from £238 to £460??.
Unbelievable ! .

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Always shop around, no such thing as customer loyalty in the insurance trade!! I shopped around after getting my multi car policy renewal for my kids, it worked out cheaper elsewhere so called admiral who promptly reduced premium and added more cover ie protected no claims etc???

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I had quotes on my SL from £400 to £1500

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
I had quotes on my SL from £400 to £1500

And I got my insurance on it for £324 ...highest was around £850... Never accept a renewal quote... Always go as a new customer somewhere I think...

OP
R

R W

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thinking about it now, when I phoned the local office the girl took all my details, then they go through the sales pitch of “they search through the hundreds of insurance companies to find me the best deal, at the best price”. That is obviously a load of c!!p because $460 was not there best price, nor the best deal for me. £238 was "maybe" there best deal & price for me.
But I suppose if someone phones them without doing some home work they may be happy to pay £460 & Swinton would be laughing all the way to the bank.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The biggest price difference has been my home insurance from around £300 up too £4600 or no cover.
Bunch of Bookies.

350_Coupe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C350 SE Auto Coupe
Always shop around, no such thing as customer loyalty in the insurance trade!! I shopped around after getting my multi car policy renewal for my kids, it worked out cheaper elsewhere so called admiral who promptly reduced premium and added more cover ie protected no claims etc???

that's what annoys the hell out of me, you go back and say - hey your ripping me off, so-and-so can do it for this price, and they go - ok, have a bunch off !..I would like to see an industry watchdog review the insurance practices of unfair price fluctuations, or a government controlled scheme for the legally required minimum insurance, because as it is, they have a licence to print money, and they are taking the ****,

foor example, has anyone noticed, that your usual fully comp policy, that covers you to drive another vehicle with basic cover, has now changed to say you are only insured if the other vehicle also has it's own insurance with the owner (not that that is ever going to be any good to you, because it wont cover you) .... so basically they want 2 covers for the same thing.

they have got themselves part way to where they want, that where cars are insured like they are taxed, and people also have to have insurance, in other words they want paying twice for everything, and they want it to be illegal to own a vehicle that is not insured, regardless of where it is

johno2004

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK32 AMG
My insurance renewal came through today and it was £15 cheaper than last year, however i thought i would have a look on the compare sites and low and behold i can save £238 with the same company and all the same benifits.

Not sure now whether i should ring them and try for more or just take the online price.

Just goes to show that as per the titles of this thread it pays to look arround.

On the site i can even save a extra £30 with another company RAC

DavePrentice

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230K 2002
Insurance

I tried to do that but told 'this deal was for 'new customers only'. The trick is to hook you in & then hope you are too lazy to look around when it comes to renewal time. The excess people pay when they dont shop around helps finance the 'specials' for new customers. Seemples!

OP
R

R W

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
One year down the line & did a comparison check as the insurance is due again. Swinton who I was insured with quoted last year 238pounds on line, 460pounds from their office. This year they are the third cheapest on line at 170pounds. LV who I am currently insured with will be getting my buisness again even though they are slightly more than Swinton, because they dont treat you like an idiot filling you full of BS.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom