gearbox got stuck on 1st gear.

s4saad

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280/2005/2987
Hi Experts, Ive mercedes E280, 55 reg, after 2 days of getting gearbox serviced from main dealer gear got stuck on 1st gear. its gave the jerk every time i engaged the gear to reverse or Drive. so i took it back, they said that fault is with the valve body and we have not done anything wrong when we did the service. valve body would itself cost me around 1800£ and only they can do it because it needs coding, ive 220k mileage so they recommended the gearbox and torque converter change as well. so i took my car to local garage and they said simply replaced the gearbox and torque converter with second hand cost around 1000£. now the replaced gearbox is not communicating with the car and and im stuck in the middle of nowhere. please help out how to get it sorted. Thanks

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
I think we have talked this week, mb are NOT the only ones who can code the control unit. If we had spoken, I mentioned that certain faults need only the tcu but depending on the valve body fitted you may have needed a valve body as well. By fitting a secondhand gearbox, the tcu will be assigned to another car and cannot be re coded as it has been personalised and locked to the donor car.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
I think we have talked this week, mb are NOT the only ones who can code the control unit. If we had spoken, I mentioned that certain faults need only the tcu but depending on the valve body fitted you may have needed a valve body as well. By fitting a secondhand gearbox, the tcu will be assigned to another car and cannot be re coded as it has been personalised and locked to the donor car.

What do you have for SCN then? Autologic or Networked Xentry?

I have a feeling that with Developer Mode these TCUs can be virginised, but have not had chance to do one yet, and cannot do the SCN anyway...

So to the OP, in short, you now need a new TCU, or the old one putting in (which we are told needed to be replaced anyway).
I wonder if the garage that suggested/did the gearbox swap knew about this issue - I doubt it.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Networked xentry, comes with genuine Star machine.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Networked xentry, comes with genuine Star machine.

Yes, it does indeed.

I am looking at £6,888 +vat for just the Xentry Connect, or £8,652 +vat for the Xentry Kit with the Panasonic Xentry tab.
Add on £1,404 p/a for a DAS licence for 12 months, and we get a total of £12067.20 to find.
Autologic is cheaper annual fees - £840 p/a - but similar initial equipment costs.

We will go this route (probably Xentry), but it would be nice if the price structure could allow for workshops as small as ours...

Last edited:

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, it does indeed.

I am looking at £6,888 +vat for just the Xentry Connect, or £8,652 +vat for the Xentry Kit with the Panasonic Xentry tab.
Add on £1,404 p/a for a DAS licence for 12 months, and we get a total of £12067.20 to find.
Autologic is cheaper annual fees - £840 p/a - but similar initial equipment costs.

We will go this route (probably Xentry), but it would be nice if the price structure could allow for workshops as small as ours...

It all adds up :(

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Are Mercedes saying that gearboxes wear out at around this mileage and aren't worth repairing??

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Are Mercedes saying that gearboxes wear out at around this mileage and aren't worth repairing??

No, just hedging bets and maximising profit! :D

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Never!! ;) ;) :D

I think the OP went to a local non mercedes garage close to us even after we gave him all the info.

Last edited:

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom