Touring: The last of Autumn in Perthshire

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
I decided as the Autumn colours were going to be leaving us and that last months tour was such a success that I owed it to myself to get up early, pack the Nikons and do a final 2012 tour.

I decided to focus my attentions on Perthshire, despite it being IMHO being a let down in scenery compared to the majestic west Highlands, as its well vegitated and I wanted to see the golden Autumnal colours.

I woke early and piloted the skip down the A82, and I forgot to charge my iPod. It died not that long into the journey, so I pulled over somewhere safe and convienient to find the charger and run it off the battery.

At this point, I wondered if I had made the right decision

DSC_0525 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

The weather was grim and looking to the East it wasn't much better. Still, it had half a tank of fuel in it so I thought, what the hell, if its a dud idea it's cost me a tenner in fuel.

From Tarbert to Ardlui the A82 is awful, and with the low light weather and standing water, hiding potholes as the surface is needing a bit of attention. This brought back feelings of contempt for the Olympics, 27million to waste on that rubbish but not enough to keep a major trunk route running, but never mind, I was in my C class estate and after this stretch the road opens up and can be savoured and enjoyed. One thing from the S class experience last weekend is I wouldn't want to take Dads car along here, its very broad, the road is very narrow and coaches take people on tour here as its magical. Not everyone is fortunate enough to drive a C class estate.

Turns out my decision was right. The light was lifting. What I hadn't expected to see was snow, and I have winter tyres lying about that I need to put on. I didn't need them where I was, but higher ground was snowy.

DSC_0526 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

I'm still not in Perthsire here. Snow capped mountains, looked like I missed Autumn and walked straight into winter. Setting up the tripod and it felt like it, blooding thing was freezing to touch...

DSC_0221 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

Just at Stirlingshire. This is Loch Lubnair that runs parallel to the A85 that I would come off at Lix toll junction and head up the A827 to Killin and on to Kenmore later.

The run up the A827 takes you through Killin which is famous for its falls.

DSC_0527 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

it was ****** cold and I didn't hang about, turned the heating up and wafted up the road. One has to be careful, powerful RWD car, leaves on the road, light dusting of snow, (yes really) and thats a reciepe for an off. The road is narrow so there is no room really to correct any out of shape behaviour (not with my skills).

What is nice is the views you get down Loch Tay and as the light was getting stronger, so was my sense of relief that I hadn't made a bad decision, tenner or not...

I arrived at Kenmore, parked up as I knew I would be spending a bit of time here. Grabbed the Nikons and tripod and captured this

DSC_0540 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

Autumn colours were out.

And that Loch I was rabbiting on about

DSC_0242 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

And I ain't kidding about the snow.

DSC_0246 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

Light dusting, but its come early this year, I suspect its going to be a hard winter.

I took a walk as the air was nice and it warmed up a bit and I wanted to get down the other wise of the Loch to see if I could get a different view of it.

Well, more interestingly the Scottish Cranog centre is almost finished.

DSC_0256 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr
Last time I was in the area I hired a boat, got sort of lost and got shouted at by the people who were working on it. Its pretty interesting thing, you can go in and see it, but you have to pay, remember what I said about that tenner.

From here, I followed the road up to Aberfeldy, and aimed the car for Logierate. Since the fall I've been advised to do more exercise to keep the muscells moving, and researched the area and there are woodland trails.

I parked up and went for a good hours treck to work up an appetite for lunch...

Remember those Autumn colours

DSC_0543 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

You don't get them quite like this in the bleaker west highlands.

I found developer215 a challenge, do up this old cottage.

DSC_0545 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

What really was good about the walk was the views once you cleared the woods, thats the A9 DCW in the distance and members of here who went on my tour, will know where I am, as they drove along that briefly before peeling off to dine at the East Haugh hotel.

DSC_0560 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

However, I was in a tracksuit and solo, so I didn't dine there, regrettably. I drove to Pitlochary, parked up (its a good bit smaller than my E and being an estate you can park easier as you can see where the back is - I am a crap parker) and found a deli.

This sandwich had locally sourced venison, with homemade rasperry chutney and fresh leaves

DSC_0564 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

And this one with smoked salmon, horseradish and leaves.

DSC_0565 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

For £6.90 all in. The place is called "The Scottish Deli" and its on the main street in Pitlochary and the service is polite, the food great and cheap, I really cannot recommend enough.

From here, I took the A924 to Killiecrankie, as I wanted to take some pictures here. The road is a nice fun one, but again, damp and I really just took this just to capture the colours, it really was this vibrant

DSC_0568 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

Its not a massive road, and whilst an S would glide over it serenely, the C was more effortless due to its lesser size.

You won't get great views for the road, as the road is really high up, and the River Falasky far beneath you, you merely see trees

DSC_0569 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

However, there is a set of trails you can follow that take you closer to the good stuff. So parked up, and worked off my healthy lunch.

There is a bridge over the river thats just for people, this gives an ok view

DSC_0574 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

But what you are better doing is walking up to the road bridge thats on the way to Tummel Bridge and take in the views there, but not if you are funny with heights

DSC_0583 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

A local company offers bungee jumping off here, would you do it. I wouldn't, not for the fear of heights but because the feeling of falling would disturb lunch....

The final site I wanted to see was Blair Castle. Athol Estates still own a lot of land in the area, and its a working estate as well as the ancestral home of the Duke of Athol.

Still. Now the skip knows what its like to be titled. A driveway fit for a Duke

DSC_0590 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

Gravel and Scaffolding, Toffs never had it so good. Shame about the C class, he'll have a rangie

DSC_0624 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

The Duke even has posh pets. Squalking peacocks

DSC_0597 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr
Not a kebab in sight here

The cloud was getting thick and heavy against the castle, whilst this makes a good photo op, it also makes it a good chance to get back to your car and drive off....

DSC_0615 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

I didn't drive for economy, NSL most of the time and maybe a few overtakes...

DSC_0630 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

Ok but not remarkable.

But the car was splendid and made me realise, you can buy more expensive, but I'd struggle to buy better or be happier with anything else. A sun roof and seat heaters (even though its cloth would be nice) but otherwise, whats not to like...

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
Lovely pictures as always. I knew food would have to be involved somewhere :lol::lol::lol:

OP
st4

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
  • Banned
Lovely pictures as always. I knew food would have to be involved somewhere :lol::lol::lol:

To be fairly, only one food stop, actually thats a lie. I put a twenty into the car and found some change so bought some chocolate too. Dairy mill, 120g for £1. Bargain!!!

Seats now well manky as there are chocolate stains. Leather you wash down and are uncomfortable, real upholstered seats get grubby. The price of comfort.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Gorgeous as always Stephen..... well done mate....

OP
st4

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
  • Banned
Fantastic photography fella

They'd be a lot better if the weather played ball. I was at the castle quite late, if the sun had been out the shadows would have been longer and the light more dramatic against the castle.

Same with the Killiecrankie sets but I've not really done Perthshire in detail, as its not a part of the world I care massively for (better driving and scenery in the west), but for next Autumn I now know exactly where to go and where to get a stand out set of images.

wheelie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E280 Sport
Great shots Stephen and what a great way to spend the day. :D

I'll be back in Pitlochry in December for my Christmas party bash at the Atholl Palace but I suspect there may be a little more of the "white stuff" by then but the Vredestein's that are going on at the weekend should take care of that.

Love the colours and almost endless tranquility, I was on the same roads in September and the colours were just changing.

Thanks for sharing, it really has brightened my day :D

Pete

E320mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi sport 2007
I'm loving the autumn colours Steve! You certainly have a feel for photography! I'm glad the car is working out for you, I'm semi considering going to look a a C estate later today, I'm not sure what to do!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Lovely views and the grumpy weather doesn't matter.

M6AJJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
v222 2014 350
Brilliant, really enjoyed them, many thanks.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Fantastic shots - had relations lived in Killiecrankie for a good 25 years - just at the bridge at the bottom of the hill, so that was the location for every hogmanay & new year until not long ago :D:D. I know exactly where you were standing for every shot there - very nostalgic!

OP
st4

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
  • Banned
It's a superb place. I'm jealous of the idea of Christmas at Blair castle. My winter tyres are going on as I plan a proper winter tour.

No doubt as a few posters know the area it's worth going down to Loch Rannoch and seeing a more western scenery

MarkF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270CDi
Stunning photo's. Kenmore is a place I love. in photo number 7 on the right is some white cottaged at Taymouth club, I have stopped there a few times and its always stunning.
Brought back happy memories.

OP
st4

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
  • Banned
Camera gear used is a Nikon D80 with the sigma 10 to 20 and a d5000 with the 18 to 200. A polarising filter, tripod and some light pp in Aperature 3, color efx pro is what is the software I use to enhance any

Top Bottom