Led number plate lights

SquabzZz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 W205
Hey people I purchased LED lights for my number plate silly question when I take the plastic casing out it drags the old bulb with it do I put the LED into the plastic see threw bit or do I put it straight onto the contact...:Oops:

I just can't get it working so want to elimate the obvious first..

And yes these are the no error ones with the resistor on the back

Thanks people :cool:

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Put it into the contact and switch on your lights BEFORE replacing the plastic cover.. You do this because unlike normal bulbs LED bulbs will only work 1 way round..
If it doesnt light when you turn your lights on then remove the bulb and rotate 180 degrees..
Onece its lit you can replace the plastic lens..

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
What exactly is the point of using LEDs to gain better efficiency if an electric heater (power waster) has to be added to con the vehicle into thinking it is all fine and dandy?

LED lamps have a very low maximum operating temperature (<<90C) and the effects of the heater will most likely be adverse to their life.
LEDs also cost considerably more in terms of the quantity of unwanted nasty chemicals and energy used in their production compared to boring old tungsten lamps.

I'm all for LED lighting but only where there is a real advantage, like in household and street lighting or vehicles that were designed to use them.

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Good questions.
They are better, (look good as well) but are different. As S,Speed pointed out they have certain requirements over standard filament bulbs. This is true even for the type used in your house.
They dont have a heater as such for keeping warm. Because LED's as you rightly said use very little power, a series resister is needed for the car to think it is a standard bulb and using at least the minimum power.
This series resistor gets hot, very hot due to its small size and so a method of getting rid of that heat is needed or serious damage occurs. Which for cheap or poorly made LED's pften happens after a few weeks.
The better quality or better designed LED's also included a heat sink (lump of metal) attached which is careful sized to absorb and diffuse the heat produced. And its this that prevents damage to the LED by unwanted heat.

OP
SquabzZz

SquabzZz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 W205
What exactly is the point of using LEDs to gain better efficiency if an electric heater (power waster) has to be added to con the vehicle into thinking it is all fine and dandy?

LED lamps have a very low maximum operating temperature (<<90C) and the effects of the heater will most likely be adverse to their life.
LEDs also cost considerably more in terms of the quantity of unwanted nasty chemicals and energy used in their production compared to boring old tungsten lamps.

I'm all for LED lighting but only where there is a real advantage, like in household and street lighting or vehicles that were designed to use them.

Not so much it uses less juice it just a cleaner look and really tidy's up the rear illl post a before and after pic in the dark so you can see (if I get them working)

OP
SquabzZz

SquabzZz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 W205
Good questions.
They are better, (look good as well) but are different. As S,Speed pointed out they have certain requirements over standard filament bulbs. This is true even for the type used in your house.
They dont have a heater as such for keeping warm. Because LED's as you rightly said use very little power, a series resister is needed for the car to think it is a standard bulb and using at least the minimum power.
This series resistor gets hot, very hot due to its small size and so a method of getting rid of that heat is needed or serious damage occurs. Which for cheap or poorly made LED's pften happens after a few weeks.
The better quality or better designed LED's also included a heat sink (lump of metal) attached which is careful sized to absorb and diffuse the heat produced. And its this that prevents damage to the LED by unwanted heat.

These was expensive LED's £10 for 2

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
I saw some GU2 ? (for my kitchen ) in Wilkinsons the other day for £16 EACH :shock:

Sure the reg plate led's are dearer than a bulb but do look so much better, and last for ever if you have good quality ones.

Had my MOT a while back and saw one of mine hadn't come on. First time and sods law.
I saw the mot man waving a standard bulb at me and pointing to the light (ready to change it)
But I knew they are good led's and probably due to just a bit of corrosion or damp in the connection because I hadn't used the car in a while.
So I walked around to the bay and said NO, gave the panel a light bash with the palm of my hand, and in true Fonzy style it came on. :)

LED's every time. Just be careful to buy good ones, and not just because they are expensive either.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom