Heated Door Mirrors

AndySlade

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Diesel Estate, Sports Edition
Is there any easy way to tell if my 2007 plate W203 C220 CDI Sports Edition Estate has heated door mirrors? The mirrors are electrically adjustable but not the folding variety. If I have them how do they work/switch on? Are they powered by heated rear window circuitry or do they have some sort of themostat?

I'm used to less sophisicated cars with seperate switches to work the heated door mirrors! :)

Andy Slade

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
They have been standard fit on all but the base models for years, they are automatic and there is no switch.
How do you know if they are working? when its all cold and damp the condensation rapidly clears off them once you start up.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It is quite possible that this was an extra, when they are fitted the signal is picked from the temp probe and they are turned on from the CAN bus.

Taking a glass out to see if any wires attached would give a positive answer

OP
AndySlade

AndySlade

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm not sure if they are working then, as they don't seem to clear/demist very rapidly at all compared to my last car which was a Honda, where you could see them working almost immediately.

OP
AndySlade

AndySlade

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Any tips on how to take the glass out to see the wiring, there is nothing obvious to me on how to access the inners of the door mirrors.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The cover has to be removed, this is done by folding the mirror back and pressing the release clip, if unsure I can send you the instructions,, but not tonight as I am off to bed

OP
AndySlade

AndySlade

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'd appreciate the instructions please. You should be able to e-mail them directly to me, i think my profile allows direct contact. Many thanks in advance.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'd appreciate the instructions please. You should be able to e-mail them directly to me, i think my profile allows direct contact. Many thanks in advance.

Sadly I cannot use that one,, tell you what pop it up now and I will send if now and you can edit out your address

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am off to bed now... put the address up tomorrow night please

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
You will most definetly have heated door mirrors, they have been standard on MBs from at least the late eighties IIRC.
Found this Utube video, though it shows how to remove the outer cover of the mirror, this IMHO is easier to remove remove/replace than just the glass with the outer cover still on.
If your mirror heaters are not working check that the connections to the glass are clean and tight, and check for 12V at the connections (if its cold enough to turn them on that is).

[YOUTUBE]wNHbdjrtkiQ[/YOUTUBE]

If you decide just to remove the glass here is a another utube video on how to remove the glass from a 202 which is all but identical to your car.

[YOUTUBE]K8K2DCVLCIc[/YOUTUBE]

Here is another showing just the mirror glass.

[YOUTUBE]-wgvMJYNYnU[/YOUTUBE]

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is not that easy to remove just the glass on the 203, the cover has to come off or its too hard to put the glass back.

I was not having a good day yesterday and just could not think, the heated mirrors should be standard as Andy said.

On the 203 as of late 04 the heated mirror turns on at temps below 15c and turns off at 19c, all done by the CAN and door control ECU

OP
AndySlade

AndySlade

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many thanks for both or your assistance. The videos help a lot. I will see if the heated mirrors are working, this weekend. Probably not be cold enough :D, but i'll take that as a temporary bonus.

walkenblue

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 w203 220cdi Avantgarde
Hi,
You will most definetly have heated door mirrors, they have been standard on MBs from at least the late eighties IIRC.
Found this Utube video, though it shows how to remove the outer cover of the mirror, this IMHO is easier to remove remove/replace than just the glass with the outer cover still on.
If your mirror heaters are not working check that the connections to the glass are clean and tight, and check for 12V at the connections (if its cold enough to turn them on that is).

[YOUTUBE]wNHbdjrtkiQ[/YOUTUBE]

If you decide just to remove the glass here is a another utube video on how to remove the glass from a 202 which is all but identical to your car.

[YOUTUBE]K8K2DCVLCIc[/YOUTUBE]

Here is another showing just the mirror glass.

[YOUTUBE]-wgvMJYNYnU[/YOUTUBE]

I cringed at the 2 nd video,i would not try to access back of the mirror like this .Very easy to damage the glass.Take off the housing if you can as in the 1st video.You can get to the wire like spring etc so easy,i would line up the mirror to the housing as you slide it off slowly,do the same as you put it back on.Take it from me i found out the expensive way,so fragile .Aplogies to all for any hijacking on this post and i am not having a go at other replies.Only trying to help.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In post 11 you can see it turns on at 15c,,, its only 11c where I live right now.

The glass does not come out in the same way as the 202

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
I cringed at the 2 nd video,i would not try to access back of the mirror like this .Very easy to damage the glass.Take off the housing if you can as in the 1st video.You can get to the wire like spring etc so easy,i would line up the mirror to the housing as you slide it off slowly,do the same as you put it back on.Take it from me i found out the expensive way,so fragile .Aplogies to all for any hijacking on this post and i am not having a go at other replies.Only trying to help.

Hence the reason why I posted how to remove the cover, as I, like you would rather remove the cover first before removing the glass.
I posted the 202 glass removal to demonstrate how the glass was secured to the mirror motor which the video shows, and the mirror is effectively secured the same way as the O/P's vehicle so I thought it relevant. But again I would not of attempted this without removing the cover first, as the 202 cover comes of just as easy and quickly as the O/P's.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The problem is you cannot push the bottom in far enough on the 203 to get to the spring wire, hence the cover needs to come off and this is all I have been saying all along, cove off then the glass

walkenblue

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 w203 220cdi Avantgarde
The problem is you cannot push the bottom in far enough on the 203 to get to the spring wire, hence the cover needs to come off and this is all I have been saying all along, cove off then the glass

When i was not careful enough when i first got my car i damaged the drivers side mirror glass ,the fluid inside came down halfway ,,ouch ! £££.Had to do some wire extension on the passenger side today as the wires snapped on this side yet again.Hence my input.Anyway hope the o.p will sort out his issue and fixes it ok.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When i was not careful enough when i first got my car i damaged the drivers side mirror glass ,the fluid inside came down halfway ,,ouch ! £££.Had to do some wire extension on the passenger side today as the wires snapped on this side yet again.Hence my input.Anyway hope the o.p will sort out his issue and fixes it ok.

That was appreciated and thank you for your input:D My post was for Andy

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom