C230K Kompressor Heater

M

Mr_CLK

Dad has recently bought one and the heater seems to be intermittent, so this is causing problems as with the weather now the windows are steaming up.

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
I would assume that the drains could be blocked. This will cause rainwater to get into the motor assembly and regulator and cause them to give problems

OP
M

Mr_CLK

OK thanks i'll check that tomorrow, it in the engine side next to the bulkhead? Is there anything similar to the Bentley Manual for the BMW that is available for the Mercs?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Is the fan working OK on all speeds,or is the fan the problem

OP
M

Mr_CLK

I've tried the fan on all speeds and it runs well through them you can hear the lift on each speed.

It just decides not to blow sometimes. Seem to be having a few electrical problems that we have noticed since buying it, the other is the windscreen wiper on intermittent doesn't, it just goes like normal.

OP
M

Mr_CLK

Still need help with this please

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
I've tried the fan on all speeds and it runs well through them you can hear the lift on each speed.

It just decides not to blow sometimes. Seem to be having a few electrical problems that we have noticed since buying it, the other is the windscreen wiper on intermittent doesn't, it just goes like normal.

Hi,
Are you saying that the fan sometimes stops?
If the fan works on all speeds and occasionally stops, and will then restart on its own, then I would say its the fan motor brushes. MB say the solution to this is to replace the motor, but you can replace the brushes and can be found for sale on E-bay.
Intermittent wipe not working, the car "could" have rain sensing wipe, which if your not sure, if it has, you should see a windscreen sensor on the windscreen just in front of the rear view mirror, it should have a black cover over it about 3" square.
If no rain sensor, and as your intermittent wipe is not working then it would seem to indicate the combination relay is at fault, the relay is fitted in the fuse box under the bonnet on the drivers side.
If you have a rain sensor then I would start by disconnecting it, with it disconnected it should revert to normal intermittent wipe, to disconnect it you will need to remove the overhead light unit, as the sensor plugs into it.
To remove the light unit, remove the light lens, they should just pull off and locate the two locating clips on the rear edge of the light unit lever these and pull the light unit down and out.
Hope this helps.

OP
M

Mr_CLK

Update

OK, now I've had the blower out and checked it and the brushes seem to be fine and touching the motor OK. Plugged it in while the unit was out and turned it on through the speeds and worked fine, the filter was OK as well (infact looked quite new :neutral:)

Put it all back in and tried again, worked well. But when he goes out now it's still doing it, it'll blow and then just stop and then set off again.

I'll check the wiper later but it's this blower I need to sort first.

Btw where is the ECU? I've removed all the plastic tray from inside the engine bay/bulkhead and saw nothing apart from red at how hard it was to get out!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ignore the wiper for now it is not part of it all, you have had the fan out and all seems ok do is the fuse for the fan making good contact, normally a 15 amp fuse. If the fan motor carbon brushes are worn, this could be the problem.

Do you have a voltmeter

OP
M

Mr_CLK

I checked the brushes and they look really good, touching and thick. No excess darkening on the good motor/coil either.

To be fair I checked that it was a 15 and that was it, got a multi-meter (funny enough last week for my BMW) never used one before though :?

Stu

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All you can do to check again when it is not working is to see if there is 12v on the motor one side, if you have 12 volt on both sides or connectors the problem is in the control.

OP
M

Mr_CLK

So basically pull the plug off the motor and stick the meter one it and run it, then hopefully I'll see a drop in volts indicating that's when the motor shuts down?

Obviously the black needle goes in the earth and red into the live?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You need to get access without pulling off the plug, putting the red lead on to the carbon brush holder with give you a reading and the black meter wire to a god ground point.

When the fault is there and the motor not working you need to check on shall we say both carbon brushes for 12 volt. If you have 12 volt on both, then the fault is in the control grounding side.

OP
M

Mr_CLK

Fixed now turned out to be the resister got one for £25 and all happy days

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom