Maybe new owner - keyless go query

rlw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK55
Hi

I saw a CLK55 today which was very nice but the owner said that the only way to open the drivers door was with the key fob - the passenger door worked OK as did all the other keyless functions. He reckoned that it needed some new parts in the door at a cost of about £1K so had left it. Would these point to other issues; is that figure of about £1K about right and would it worry you?

I can't really see the point of the keyless system and have never had a car that didn't use the key or the fob buttons so it not working fully wouldn't be the end of the world nut I don't want to start off with a problem which may get worse.

Thanks

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
most common cause is just the door handle, around £200 quid.

Welcome to the forums

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If the passenger door worked and the car started keyless, then more than likely just a £185 drivers door handle needed, and 10 mins to fit there is not much more to it

Last edited:

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Hi

I saw a CLK55 today which was very nice but the owner said that the only way to open the drivers door was with the key fob - the passenger door worked OK as did all the other keyless functions. He reckoned that it needed some new parts in the door at a cost of about £1K so had left it. Would these point to other issues; is that figure of about £1K about right and would it worry you?

I can't really see the point of the keyless system and have never had a car that didn't use the key or the fob buttons so it not working fully wouldn't be the end of the world nut I don't want to start off with a problem which may get worse.

Thanks

If it is full keyless, then the problem is probably the door handle (not uncommon - prone to water ingress).

Replacement is (from memory) about £170 for a new handle - cannot think what the £1000 indicated is for.

Once you get used to keyless it is something you find difficult to do without

OP
R

rlw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK55
Thanks - the £1K idea came from Chelsea MB - I am learning quickly here.....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thanks - the £1K idea came from Chelsea MB - I am learning quickly here.....

That was funny :D:D:D they need your money more than you do :D

DavePrentice

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230K 2002
Keless entry

Also learning quickly about going to MB dealers direct

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom