Car not started for 6 months

Rob law

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320
Home at Christmas after six months away, my CLS 320 CDI as not been started and the battery is now completely flat.

Any thing I should do to ensure it starts !!
I hope to charge battery and turn key and away it goes, but knowing my luck will need some sort of coaxing any tips,

thanks

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The battery my not recover after being left flat,,, the newer batteries never seem to recover.

Euro car parts have a super sale on right now with good batteries at silly money, I would get one and just crank away till it starts

OP
R

Rob law

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320
Thanks

Television many thanks once again, I have a five year warranty on the battery and it is only two years old, hopefully they will honour !!

Once again thanks

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
You might like to get a CTEK battery conditioner to prevent this sort of problem in the future.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Television many thanks once again, I have a five year warranty on the battery and it is only two years old, hopefully they will honour !!

Once again thanks

I had occasion recently to start a car that had been standing for just over 5 months.

I trickle charged the battery for 2 days. After a few cranks the cars started...I start the car every week now and run for 10 minutes...it always starts and the battery maintains the charge. So, don't just get a new battery, the old one may well be ok....especially if only 2 years old.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I would want to get the oil around before it fired.

syncropaddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
.... too many cars!
I have just taken my son's Passat out of storage as he is returning home after 18 months in Canada. As expected the battery (2 years old) was as dead as a dodo so I brought a spare and jump started the car. I just gave it about 30 seconds connected to the jump battery so the car could wake up and get its computer sorted and then fired it up. It started first time as it should and brought it up to normal temperature before driving it. The clutch was a little odd but by the time I had it up on a trailer it was ok again. I charged the battery overnight and its starting under its own steam now.
My W126 has been laid up now for the coming winter and I have connected a small solar charger to the battery to keep it charged. It only gives about 200mA but is enough to keep the battery alive till next year

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Dont jump start it, charge the battery until you can crank it into life with the ignition, a very flat battery and a jump start is a recipe for blowing a control unit or 2!!

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I't also worth noting that some battery chargers will have difficulty in charging the battery if it is truelly flat. Placing another battery in parallel to it at the start of the charge cycle can work wonders.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Dont jump start it, charge the battery until you can crank it into life with the ignition, a very flat battery and a jump start is a recipe for blowing a control unit or 2!!

This reminds me of the Man who had a long running dispute with MB over his car recovery.
He posts on here Robert something ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This reminds me of the Man who had a long running dispute with MB over his car recovery.
He posts on here Robert something ?

Yes an almost new 220 that ended up as scrap

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
I have just taken my son's Passat out of storage as he is returning home after 18 months in Canada. As expected the battery (2 years old) was as dead as a dodo so I brought a spare and jump started the car. I just gave it about 30 seconds connected to the jump battery so the car could wake up and get its computer sorted and then fired it up. It started first time as it should and brought it up to normal temperature before driving it. The clutch was a little odd but by the time I had it up on a trailer it was ok again. I charged the battery overnight and its starting under its own steam now.
My W126 has been laid up now for the coming winter and I have connected a small solar charger to the battery to keep it charged. It only gives about 200mA but is enough to keep the battery alive till next year

Hi,

We are going to leave my 211 and my wife's Audi for about 3 months next year and I have thought about solar chargers, which one have you got as they seem to range in price from about £10 to several hundred.

Also does anybody know whether the cigarette lighter socket on a 211 can be made live when the ignition is on, Is there a switch or setting somewhere or will I need to take wires direct to the battery?

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Just use the "jump start point" under the bonnet.
The positive post under the bonnet is always live. It should be possible to run the wire under the bonnet in such a way that you can leave the car locked but still charging, obviously the solar charger would need to be external to the car.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not on a 211, you could fit a very good solar charger that would need to give more than 55ma over a whole day, but this is near impossible, and very expensive, better to disconnect the rear battery and leave any solar panel on that and hope that the SBC battery up front holds up.

syncropaddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
.... too many cars!
Hi,

We are going to leave my 211 and my wife's Audi for about 3 months next year and I have thought about solar chargers, which one have you got as they seem to range in price from about £10 to several hundred.

Mine is a cheap and cheerful 12v solar panel charger that cost 20 quid from Amazon. It wont charge the battery but will prevent it from going flat.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom