SLK AMG a good used buy!!!

eclass guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class E500 Cab 2012 4.7l twin turbo
I was looking at a little run about and I saw a SLK AMG which looked alot of car for the money.

Any idea if they are a good bet and what to look out for???

OP
E

eclass guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class E500 Cab 2012 4.7l twin turbo
the supercharged 3.2 firstly but I would be interested in peoples view of of slk55

johno2004

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK32 AMG
I supose it depends on how much you want to pay.

I love my SLK32 AMG and they are very rare in this country only 200 or so.

They are a very powerful car not to much short of the 55 but running costs and servicing i would imagine are much cheaper than the 55.

If you go for the 32 it will be in the rust years so check all the car for rust and that the roof works perfectly .apart from that the engine is bullit proof and from my experiance of owning one for 4 years now you will love it.

Mine had a bit of dreaded rust showing so i got rid of it before it took hold by having new front wings and a profesional job on rear arches, and this month i am having a full wax oil treatment done.

Hope this info helps

Matt32AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
From new 2002 SLK32///AMG, 2007 CLK350 AMG Sport Cabriolet sold:-( Porsche RS60 3.4 :-)
The inevitable post really, given I have owned my slk32amg from new. My car is now 10 years old and yet even by today’s standards you would struggle to find a more rewarding car to drive in terms of performance. Sure I’ve spent a whole bunch of money upgrading various elements, such as remotely operated one touch Vario roof, 18inch Brabus VI Split rim alloys, Custom Birds eye maple/leather sports steering Wheel , Birds Eye Maple Gear Knob & matching Interior door handles, SS rollover hoops, Alpine top end sound system and MP3 media player+ Sat Nav/DVD Player/Hands free solution, Oh and Parktronic and rear windscreen.

Sure I’ve spent approaching some 14K on extras on top of the original purchase price , the question why must be asked? Because for a hand built car in the main, certainly the engine, that, irrespective of its short comings such as rust, and steering system as responsive as those fitted to Oil Tankers, for today it’s a pretty rare car that is hard to beat in terms of the performance and pleasure it provides.

Sure it doesn’t come close to matching my Porsche in terms of Handling, but it’s much much quicker in a straight line. The Engine is just astonishing. It’s a sports car that AMG have solved the main issue with the original concept, turned it into a proper performance car.

Its successor the R171 55AMG isn’t as rewarding in my book, just not as quick or doesn't seem so. I’ve driven both and I found the R171 a little too progressive in nature. In simple terms it is not as intoxicating as its for runner. The 32amg was the last proper "hairy" mercedes built in my book, old school style. It depends very much on what floats your boat at the end of the day.

The R172 equivalent is different subject, newer and more powerful. Would I buy one? Probably not. Certainly not via a main dealer. I think an Aston will be my next buy.

In your position I'd buy the 32amg. Just check it has a good history. :)

Good luck;)

Last edited:

MERCSPORT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 CLS 350 CDI Grand Edition
All I can say is iv been in an SLK 55 AMG, and what a load of fun it is, its very lairy and takes quite a bit of man handling, hard to tame the beast ;)

The paddle shift doesn't change quick enough too, its very slow, it takes about 1-2 seconds 2 respond after you really want it too.

Iv always thought about buying one then fitting a Kleemann supercharger to it :O

Top Bottom