Warranty issue. What would you do?

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Hi folks

Just collected my SLK from dealer garage. It went in due to heated rear screen not working.

They've said thay are not prepared to fix this due to the expense involved. Apparently the element inside the glass is faulty.

Should I persue this further?

Regards

Kyle

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I always thought the "elements" were surface mounted? As such should be easily repairable. Halfords sell kits.

I would push for a repair

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
What kind of warranty do you have? I had the screen replaced on my W211 because the radio had poor reception, they couldn't repair it so replaced the screen. It was still under the 3 year warranty at the time though.

Your car looks to be 11 years old so it very much depends on what warranty you have as to what outcome you can expect. If you've bought it from Mercedes and have a 12 month warranty from Mercedes I would push for a new screen.

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
The elements are in the glass though slightly raised. You can feel them if you run your fingers over them. (Oooooo matron).

Surely if its not working, and is under warranty, it should be put right? Simples!

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
What kind of warranty do you have? I had the screen replaced on my W211 because the radio had poor reception, they couldn't repair it so replaced the screen. It was still under the 3 year warranty at the time though.

Your car looks to be 11 years old so it very much depends on what warranty you have as to what outcome you can expect. If you've bought it from Mercedes and have a 12 month warranty from Mercedes I would push for a new screen.

Only had a months warranty. Just had the PSE pump replaced under same warranty. That in itself was an ordeal.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The elements are in the glass though slightly raised. You can feel them if you run your fingers over them. (Oooooo matron).

Surely if its not working, and is under warranty, it should be put right? Simples!

Yes it is not working and unless there is some clause that they have written in the sale contract, then they have to replace it

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
i would say if the demister doesnt work, its not fit for purpose. after all, im not sure about rear demisters but front demisters are coming into the MOT i believe

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Yes it is not working and unless there is some clause that they have written in the sale contract, then they have to replace it

In which case I may have to give those lovely people at trading standards a call :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In which case I may have to give those lovely people at trading standards a call :D

They cannot pick and choose as to what they will and will not do,,,, on some cars they win (most) and others they do not

taxii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200, 1996, 2000
Just mentioning trading standards can sometimes do the trick though. If youu make them aware that you know your sale of goods and warranties acts then they will prob back down. If you do need to go the trading standards route then The consumer forum will give you templates of the letters to download.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Are you bothered about it? My coupe rear window never ever worked and it never bothered me, i only use the side mirrors anyway (like most van drivers have to!).

If it's £1k for a new one and you aren't too bothered maybe they can give you £500 or £500 worth of something you do want doing (servicing, etc)?

Worth a try though knowing the dealers/companies it will probably be "computer says no" on such a common sense outcome.

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Are you bothered about it? My coupe rear window never ever worked and it never bothered me, i only use the side mirrors anyway (like most van drivers have to!).

If it's £1k for a new one and you aren't too bothered maybe they can give you £500 or £500 worth of something you do want doing (servicing, etc)?

Worth a try though knowing the dealers/companies it will probably be "computer says no" on such a common sense outcome.[/QUOT

Im not bothered as in 'its only a small cabin space and the heaters usually demist the rear screen quickly'.
I am bothered in that Im fanatical about everything working as it should and it should be working when I bought the car lol

Intresting though, my e mail to trading standards was returned saying I need to go through citizens advice first.

On looking through their help guide, it states " A trader does not have to replace or repair a fault if it costs too much"

WHAT A COP OUT!!!!

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On looking through their help guide, it states " A trader does not have to replace or repair a fault if it costs too much"

WHAT A COP OUT!!!!

That statement is not worth the paper its written on, its just not lawful its just to scare people away

A

andy@pcd-ltd

What sort of money are they talking about if they are saying its too expensive

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Im not going to stress over this. Im slowly working through my list of "to do's" to get this car up to standard. I can live without a heated screen for now and to be fair, its only a few months of the year its required.

My list is now down to -

Full service
Replace auto transmission fluid
Replace boot struts
Spare key

Sorted. One tip top A1 SLK 230 :D

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
What sort of money are they talking about if they are saying its too expensive

They didnt say, just outright refused to repair it. Whatever the cost of a new rear screen and fitting I guess.
Baring in mind that they also replaced the PSE pump recently. I thought that maybe the screen not working was part of the PSE faults.

Ive seen a replacement screen on e bay for £140

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
I paid £4200 at end Aug. Car went in for PSE replacement at start of Sept, that took 3 weeks. Car went back in yesterday after realising the rear screen still wasnt working.

What has the buying price have to do with warranty out of curiosity?

Some guy on the internet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A few.
I paid £4200 at end Aug. Car went in for PSE replacement at start of Sept, that took 3 weeks. Car went back in yesterday after realising the rear screen still wasnt working.

What has the buying price have to do with warranty out of curiosity?

Can't you figure that out on a 12 year old £4,200 car?

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom