Top Up Coolant Message

MINKYMERC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 W213SE E Class 220d
Some advice please - if anyone can help - bearing in mind that I am not really technically minded and don't normally go poking around under the bonnet apart from topping up windscreen washer fluid.

Soon after starting my W212 E220CDi yesterday morning I got a message on the display to "Top Up Coolant". This went off after a few seconds and didn't come back even after restarting the car.

This is the first time this has happened in any Merc I have owned.

No signs of any leaks on the drive.

Should I top up the coolant or could there be a fault on the sensor?

Should I take the car into a dealership to be checked out - I don't want to drive the car if it might cause damage to do so.

If I need to top up the coolant, what make of antifreeze should I use and at what strength (dilution)?

Advice gratefully received and faithfully applied.

Minkymerc

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Some advice please - if anyone can help - bearing in mind that I am not really technically minded and don't normally go poking around under the bonnet apart from topping up windscreen washer fluid.

Soon after starting my W212 E220CDi yesterday morning I got a message on the display to "Top Up Coolant". This went off after a few seconds and didn't come back even after restarting the car.

This is the first time this has happened in any Merc I have owned.

No signs of any leaks on the drive.

Should I top up the coolant or could there be a fault on the sensor?

Should I take the car into a dealership to be checked out - I don't want to drive the car if it might cause damage to do so.

If I need to top up the coolant, what make of antifreeze should I use and at what strength (dilution)?

Advice gratefully received and faithfully applied.

Minkymerc

There'll be a 'MIN' level on the bottle/header tank somewhere, check it when the car is cold. If this is the first time the massage has appeared then adding just a little water should be OK. If you keep having to top it up, then you've a leak & it needs fixing, & then you can worry about what type of anti-freeze to add. Generally coolant is red/orange or blue, don't mix them. ;)
I'd top the bottle up with water (assuming you only need a cup full), & keep an eye on things.

OP
M

MINKYMERC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 W213SE E Class 220d
EmilysDad,

Couldn't see a MIN level mark and the bottle/header tank is black and opaque. I took off the cap and could see the blue coolant. I've added a cupful of tap water as you suggest and I'll keep an eye on things to make sure there is no leak.

I'm assuming that a leak would be fixed under Warranty as the car is less than two years old.

Thanks for your help.

Minkymerc

OP
M

MINKYMERC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 W213SE E Class 220d
Hi EmilysDad,

I did check carefully that I had the correct coolant tank symbol same as on the message in the car. Just been to the shops a mile away and no problems - no message.

Minkymerc

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom