Interesting First Trip to Main Dealer

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Yesterday I went to my local dealership for the first time to pick up some parts.

I didnt have high expectations after reading some of the posts on here and elsewhere, in fact i was dreading it ! So, I thought I would post some observations.

1. They had the 4 interior plastic trim clips I wanted in the right colour at a very reasonable price. Ok they will have to come from Germany, but that's fine, there's no rush. :)

2. The staff were polite and friendly. They had a new SL350 in the showroom, which was the first time I've seen a MY12 SL up close. :D

3. While i was waiting, I overheard a telephone conversation from the service area, one side of which went as follows :

"We plugged the diagnostic tool in Sir, and there was no fault recorded. I understand there is a hesitation and lack of pulling power, but we can only use the tools we are given, and if there is no fault showing, there is nothing we can do". :shock:

This conversation went on for some time, as the customer clearly was not happy with this response.

This brought back memories of our 2007 CLK, which had similar symptoms, which brought a similar response from MB.

So, I left with mixed feelings. It seems ridiculous to sell cars that can only be fixed with computers, when the computers in question are clearly not up to the job. I think the staff feel the same frustration. At the end of the day, they just want to help their customers.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I don't think that people decry the parts department service and pricing, just that of the servicing department.
I've often found that the parts department is competitive on price, and for my dealership at least very helpful (they've even been known to pop up schematics and print them off so that I know where or how a part fits).
At one stage my dealership was selling Mobile 1 for £10 less per can than Halfords!

OP
SL63 Mark

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I was fearing the worst after years of 911 ownership, when all Porsche do is put up prices as stock decreases. :(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You should have told the MB guy that it was probably the MAF in the early stages of failure, these often leave no fault code

OP
SL63 Mark

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
:D yes. They are not allowed to use insight/experience/intuition though, computers can't do that !

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
I'd've expected 2013 MY this late in the year

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I find the staff generally good to kissable.
Odd ones are useless but thats life.
Parts price range from reasonable to downright barmy.
Servicing and repairs are simply too expensive.

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
I recently went to the dealer to buy some touch-up paint for a scuffed wheel ( :Oops: ). They explained that they didn't do that colour ( :eek: ), but then hunted for one that came close.

After letting me use it on the wheel, I had to insist on paying for it -- "Are you sure, Sir ? it does cost £15" :D

pipmk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350cdi Sport cabriolet
They are an odd lot, MB dealers. When they are good they are very very good,when they are bad they are horrid. Other makes you tend to get an average, barely adequate service.
Not MB, it's either sh*t or bust.

OP
SL63 Mark

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I'd've expected 2013 MY this late in the year

It was labelled as a demonstrator with 22 miles on it ? Weird. Also it was below list price at £69,995. I think list is >£72 ? I did not ask any questions, as I am not a prospective buyer. Odd. I made up the MY 2012 bit, I just assumed ....:Oops:

OP
SL63 Mark

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Thank you all, These comments are very useful, as I am thinking of using this particular dealer, particularly as they are very convenient for me, only 5 mins from work.

I just find the contrast with Porsche fascinating. In the lean times, Porsche actively sought out the older cars, offering good rates for servicing (but not parts, sadly). Mercedes seem to be the opposite way round. Our CLK was my other half's company car, so I never really got involved with that.

Wonder what they'll make of my SL ? Gulp.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But it must be better to use a good indie

OP
SL63 Mark

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Happy to Malcolm, its just a question of convenience. I think my plan is to use MB for routine servicing, and to use an indie if anything actually goes wrong !

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Happy to Malcolm, its just a question of convenience. I think my plan is to use MB for routine servicing, and to use an indie if anything actually goes wrong !

You should be able to knock them down as over 6 years old now

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
3. While i was waiting, I overheard a telephone conversation from the service area, one side of which went as follows :

"We plugged the diagnostic tool in Sir, and there was no fault recorded. I understand there is a hesitation and lack of pulling power, but we can only use the tools we are given, and if there is no fault showing, there is nothing we can do". :shock:.....

The computer says no!

OP
SL63 Mark

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I know, unbelievable really.

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646
The computer says no!

It's not even necessarily that. You're assuming they know how to use it.

The last time I had a dispute with my main dealer I had to show them how to use Star to find the right information.

DavePrentice

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230K 2002
Main Dealer...Never Again

My first visit was to one in Glasgow. They wanted to replace ECU & SAM unit which Quote: 'Maybe will solve the problem'...hmm. I was charged £158 for this. My old mechanic who had faithfully worked on my old K plate E200 finally diagnosed it as a broken wire to the front brake sensor. Thought they would have spotted this with the STAR diagnostic! Instead of paying over £2000, my bill was £180. My mechanic was forced to apologise for labour change as he had to trace it manually. Wont repeat the language he used about MB service department.

Remenham

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
a140
Unless I have a car within warranty I will never use a main dealer for servicing again.

I can't stand the mid day call saying there is x y and z wrong with the car, not knowing if some of the claims are spurious, and being presented with a massive bill (my record for a B service on my E320cdi was £2,158.75).

Recently dealer claimed all 4 wheels were scuffed and needed refurbishing. In fact wheels are pristine and car was dirty, dealer not having washed it.

OP
SL63 Mark

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Thanks to all, I'm going in with eyes wide open, and wallet tightly shut. I'll let the collective know my findings, good or bad ....

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom