ML270 Battery change

tony.martin5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270/2002/CDI
Hi all, I need to change the battery on my ML270 CDI 2002, will this affect the ECU or will everything reboot on power up ?. I did this on a Volvo s60 and had to rig up a temporary battery to prevent a visit to the dealer.

Rockall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many
Hi all, I need to change the battery on my ML270 CDI 2002, will this affect the ECU or will everything reboot on power up ?. I did this on a Volvo s60 and had to rig up a temporary battery to prevent a visit to the dealer.

Changed battery on a 2001 model a few weeks ago - just had to reset the radio code. Noticed that the autobox was changing smoother after the reboot:)

Regards

Bill

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Turning the steering wheel from lock to lock by just driving it will turn the ESP light off, you may have to reset the windows, other than that no problem :D

Jdokal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes
Changed battery on a 2001 model a few weeks ago - just had to reset the radio code. Noticed that the autobox was changing smoother after the reboot:)

Regards

Bill

Really? Why did you change your battery? Was it dead or was it showing a low voltage?

Rockall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many
Really? Why did you change your battery? Was it dead or was it showing a low voltage?

It just literally died overnight - no warning or sluggishness and would not hold a charge when I put it on the charger - it actually looked to be the original which is very doubtful but...

Regards
Bill

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This is typical at the first frost, it finds the weak batteries, changing it now means a trouble free Winter

Jdokal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes
Thanks Bill and Television. I will have a look at the battery and make my conclusion.

Was it difficult to remove the battery Bill? Television did send me the instructions last year, however I did struggle and ended up putting the connectors back on and just cleaned the battery up.

Rockall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many
Thanks Bill and Television. I will have a look at the battery and make my conclusion.

Was it difficult to remove the battery Bill? Television did send me the instructions last year, however I did struggle and ended up putting the connectors back on and just cleaned the battery up.
Sorry only seeing this now - max 5 minutes in an almighty rain shower. 11 mm spanner from memory and had to remove a piece of rubber trim around the edge of battery compartment - obvious when you look at it.

Bill

Jdokal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes
Sorry only seeing this now - max 5 minutes in an almighty rain shower. 11 mm spanner from memory and had to remove a piece of rubber trim around the edge of battery compartment - obvious when you look at it.

Bill

How does the battery rubber trim come apart or are you talking about the top rubber bit that just pulls off?

OP
T

tony.martin5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270/2002/CDI
battery change

Thanks everybody for info on battery change, it all went well, I had to do the steering lock to lock to get rid of ESP warning light, no trouble with windows, an immediate improvement in gear changes, much smoother and more positive, Battery is awkward to remove, I took off the rubber moulding on the rim of the enclosure and loosened the whole surrounding by taking out one screw at the bottom right (13mm) my battery terminals are 10mm nuts. Thanks again for all advice.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom