CLK Roof Hydraulic Leak

Phillbro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 200 2011, Mini Countryman.
Hi folks, I would like some information and help regarding a hydraulic leak from the roof of my 2005 CLK 240 convertible (W209). It has started to drip hydraulic fluid from inside the roof lining just above the rear nearside passenger seat when the roof is operated. The roof works at the moment but I have stopped using it until I can find a way to fix it.
Does anyone have a diagram of the hydraulics in the roof or know how to remove the lining so I can see what's in there? Is there a pipe that runs along the inside of the roof on the LHS? I am presuming that it would be to operate the roof locking piston/device.
Does hydraulic fluid damage paintwork??
I have read up on how to top up the hydraulic reservoir and this seems achievable although a bit complex. Does anyone have suggestions on how to make it easier other than take it to the MB dealership?
Any help would be much appreciated.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have printed off the instructions to remove the hydraulic cylinder for you

OP
P

Phillbro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you Mr Television, I look forward to receiving the instructions from you. As I am new to this forum, I'm not quite sure how you get the instructions to me, do I need to do anything?
By the way, do we live near each other? The West Country by the sea is one of the best places to own a convertible!
I look forward to your response.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A fair way away as I am in Lyme Regis,,, Pop your Email address up and I can send it and you can edit out the address after

OP
P

Phillbro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for your help, my address is:.
I noticed that you have previously responded to questions about adjusting the glovebox latch, is that information still available. Also, (sorry about this list of requests) do you have any instructions about topping up the hydraulic fluid reservoir for the roof operation?
Thanks in anticipation.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Details sent for both and you can remove your address in edit :D

OP
P

Phillbro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I appreciate your very quick response, thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Always a pleasure :D:D

OP
P

Phillbro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Having looked at the documents you kindly sent, they don't show any hydraulics within the roof. Are there any hoses or cylinders that run along the passenger side of the roof? For instance, is the roof locking mechanism hydraulically operated from within the roof or the front windscreen? The leak seemed to come from inside the roof rather than the operating mechanism behind the rear seats. Any help would be appreciated.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I sent the one for the hydraulic ram that pushes the roof up, when there is a leak the very high pressure will sent it a long way, I could not find any other hydraulic ram in WIS, there is for the rear end stuff but I did not think it would be that.

OP
P

Phillbro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, that's a very good point, I hadn't thought of the pressure squirting the oil into the roof space. Do you know if there is a way to remove the roof lining so I can clean up the area affected?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can have a look to see what's possible later this evening,,it is hard for me to know what is leaking

OP
P

Phillbro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just pulled off the roof lining to reveal two black hydraulic flexi lines(approx 4mm dia) which seem to feed the latch mechanism. The lower flexi line had come out of its clip and had been nipped in the roof frame. Squirting out fluid everytime roof operated.
Remedy seems to be to replace both flexi lines between the pump and the latch. Hopefully, I won't have to remove the roof lining.
I will take pictures of the operation for anyone interested.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just pulled off the roof lining to reveal two black hydraulic flexi lines(approx 4mm dia) which seem to feed the latch mechanism. The lower flexi line had come out of its clip and had been nipped in the roof frame. Squirting out fluid everytime roof operated.
Remedy seems to be to replace both flexi lines between the pump and the latch. Hopefully, I won't have to remove the roof lining.
I will take pictures of the operation for anyone interested.

Pleased you found it as it is a first off on here for that one,,,if you can take pictures that would be nice :D

OP
P

Phillbro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Problem fixed, two flexitubes replaced (£350 for parts) that run between the pump in the boot along the passenger side of the roof and connect to the latch mechanism. A real fiddly job which threw up all sorts of problems but can be done with a considerable amount of patience.
It seems that the two flexitubes that run inside the roof and bend with it when the roof folds, need to be in their clips otherwise they can pop out and get trapped in the frame. Now I know this it frightens me a bit every time I operate the roof! We put some cable ties around the suspect area to keep them out of the way of the frame.
I have photo's showing the hydraulic latching mechanism at the front of the roof and the two hydraulic lines, but I don't know how to attach them to this thread.
One concern I do have is that no matter how hard we tried, we couldn't get the roof apron open manually. We used the straps which just didn't seem man enough for the job and as we didn't want to break it, we ended up connecting the lines and operating it from the car. Not sure what will happen if the roof gets stuck open, just have to get wet I suppose!

OP
P

Phillbro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hydraulic Locking Mechanism CLK Roof

I have managed to attached a couple of photo's one showing the two flexitubes hanging over the side of the car and the other showing where the flexitubes connect to the locking mechanism at the front of the roof.
Does anyone know if the boot on the CLK is plastic? Mine looks like it is! Could be just a method of weight saving.

Locking Flexitubes.jpg

Locking Mech (600x800).jpg

Top Hydraulics

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 Kleeman, several R129s, W163
About hydraulic cylinder leaks, bad hoses, and hydraulic fluid

Hello folks,

I'd like to introduce myself to the forum. First off, I would like to disclose that my business in the US is rebuilding convertible top hydraulic cylinders and rebuilding convertible hydraulic pumps for all Mercedes convertibles, plus manufacturing hydraulic lines. I will not refer to my business' website, as that would be improper advertising. I hope that I can give some useful advice from time to time. I have started this way on a number of DIY websites for convertible owners, and my business has ended up sponsoring several of them for years now, resulting in over 1000 posts to date where I try to answer questions related to soft top and hard top hydraulics.

It is unusual at this point that the hydraulic lines for the front lock cylinders get damaged; we usually deal with leaking cylinders themselves. What you want to avoid is to let the pump run dry. It can easily burn out, and replacing or rebuilding the pump is expensive.

I could post some diagrams with the location of the hydraulic components in your convertibles, and a brief DIY guide for front latch cylinder removal, if that is okay with the moderators. I will wait for an official response before doing that... :)

Klaus

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello and welcome Klaus :D:D

OP
P

Phillbro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello folks,

I'd like to introduce myself to the forum. First off, I would like to disclose that my business in the US is rebuilding convertible top hydraulic cylinders and rebuilding convertible hydraulic pumps for all Mercedes convertibles, plus manufacturing hydraulic lines. I will not refer to my business' website, as that would be improper advertising. I hope that I can give some useful advice from time to time. I have started this way on a number of DIY websites for convertible owners, and my business has ended up sponsoring several of them for years now, resulting in over 1000 posts to date where I try to answer questions related to soft top and hard top hydraulics.

It is unusual at this point that the hydraulic lines for the front lock cylinders get damaged; we usually deal with leaking cylinders themselves. What you want to avoid is to let the pump run dry. It can easily burn out, and replacing or rebuilding the pump is expensive.

I could post some diagrams with the location of the hydraulic components in your convertibles, and a brief DIY guide for front latch cylinder removal, if that is okay with the moderators. I will wait for an official response before doing that... :)

Klaus
Hi Top Hydraulics, thanks for your post, I for one think it would be very useful to have diagrams of the roof hydraulics.
With reference to my specific problem, the hydraulic line that was leaking seemed to have come out of it's clips and got trapped in the frame as the roof opened. This then split the line and caused a repair costing £700. I wish I knew what made the line un-clip itself as I'm sure I have never touched that part of the roof and as you say, this must be very unusual.
With regards to the pump running dry, is there any way of telling when the hydraulic fluid is getting low? Is there an indicator light or is it wise to periodically check the level from the boot?

Top Bottom