124 300E 24v - someone talk some sense into me!!

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
:shock::lol:..OMG SWMBO will go nuts!!..... im all for a little car collection!!...Had 5 v dubs at one point although only 2 actually worked!:lol:... i think 2 is more than enough nowerdays though;)......

Have you got to the bottom of the running problem on the coupe yet though?? .... maybe you should hang fire a week or 2 1st...... but thats the safe option.......... Go for it!!

If you find a cheap 123 estate let me know and i will take the plunge too;):lol:

why do we get so much pleasure from old car shaped bits of metal:cool:

OP
lanciaman

lanciaman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Cabrio (A124) - 1994
Possibly because we are

a/ mad
b/ have no life
c/ defintely mad

Anyway, makes more sense than spending £300 a month on finance for some new bland box.

With regard to the running of the coupe. It seems there is nothing to get to the bottom of! Have run it 4 days out of 5 to work this week and it has behaved totally. No issues at all (aside from heather blowing hot on the drivers side and cold in the middle when set to cold). So, no idea why it was sold as being nigh on undriveable. Early days I know, but looking good so far.

A nice feeling of beating the system with this car at less than £500 all in and a years MOT. :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You will end up like me when the XJ6 cars where popular,,, I had up to 20 all at the same time, all running:D

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Possibly because we are

a/ mad
b/ have no life
c/ defintely mad

Anyway, makes more sense than spending £300 a month on finance for some new bland box.

With regard to the running of the coupe. It seems there is nothing to get to the bottom of! Have run it 4 days out of 5 to work this week and it has behaved totally. No issues at all (aside from heather blowing hot on the drivers side and cold in the middle when set to cold). So, no idea why it was sold as being nigh on undriveable. Early days I know, but looking good so far.

A nice feeling of beating the system with this car at less than £500 all in and a years MOT. :D

great to hear it seems all sorted!!:cool:...with a years MOT and 500 quid you done well there.....in that case.........GO GET the other one....it will all be ok...:D

You will end up like me when the XJ6 cars where popular,,, I had up to 20 all at the same time, all running:D

You must of had a big drive Malc:D

Last edited:
OP
lanciaman

lanciaman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

That qualifies as bring on the men with white coats and van!!!

OP
lanciaman

lanciaman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
great to hear it seems all sorted!!:cool:...with a years MOT and 500 quid you done well there.....in that case.........GO GET the other one....it will all be ok...:D

I know. But I will be dead if I do.

Sadly (!) we have space for probably 7 here, plus 2 under cover. And if we start parking on the grass....... :D

It would make kind of sense as a spares car though :lol:

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I know. But I will be dead if I do.

Sadly (!) we have space for probably 7 here, plus 2 under cover. And if we start parking on the grass....... :D

Just make the call n see what they say;).... the last (OLD) VW i brought i left till we were about 10 mins away from home to tell Kat it had been delivered:shock::Oops::lol:... Kat forgave me (Once i sold it:Oops::lol:)..... like you say would be a great parts car, it could be had cheap..and you have the room;):lol:

It would make kind of sense as a spares car though :lol:

I had an ex farm Paul with 7 garages and 2 large barns, I wish I still had it ;)

Blimey:shock:...that must of been interesting!!.....No wonder you kept buying them:lol:...Prob a good thing you dont have it anymore though Malcolm...you would probably have 100 of them by now:lol:...thats a lot of cars to wash and look after:shock:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Probably just as well you don't......

The joy about having a large barn was that I could work on the cars all through the night, go to bed and next day they could stay where they were.

At least I have the memories :D:D and the memories of cutting that 1 acre lawn :(

OP
lanciaman

lanciaman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
with 20 XJs, there would have been a lot of night working!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
with 20 XJs, there would have been a lot of night working!

I had got the changing of the pistons down to 1 working day, I would have been about 35 years old then, but I say do it while you can, there is a hell of a kick in getting something for almost nothing and getting it running and usable.

I had free motoring for the biggest part of my life

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
No issues at all (aside from heather blowing hot on the drivers side and cold in the middle when set to cold).

If it helps the centre vent should always blow cold even when the heating is on both sides so the only problem is the driver's side heat regulating valve.

Sounds a great buy!!

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
I do not no why some of us like buying old cars, said I would not do It again, but felt sorry for a 190d 250 auto. The elderly owner( younger than me) was told the car was uneconomical to repair. I have spent £450 on parts, this includes the taking out off rear screen and recealing, know nice and dry in the boot , goes in for a MOT december. My lovely wife has bought me a knew jacket, It does up at the back. Hope this helps

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
A man has got to have at least three cars.

prwales

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ge300, w124 300e, various VW's
It looks too good to use for spares and in saloon form these are getting rarer than coupes, let someone else have it.

Top Bottom