CLS55/ CLS63 service costs and intervals

ish330

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS
Hi All,

Im Ish...new to the MB forum...
Currently I own a 2003/53 BMW E46 330ci M Clubsport. I also have a 2012 VW golf (company car)

Also have a 2008/08 Mercedes CLK220 CDI Sport in the household!

I am looking to trade the BMW in for a Mercedes CLS 55 or CLS 63. or might trade both the cars in!

unsure of what to get really.

I drove a CLS55 and immediately had the worlds biggest smile on my face, so much so that my cheeks started to hurt! the car was that good!!

not driven CLS63...

but I suppose my main query is on servicing.

how much would it cost for each car? and how often does it need to be done.

also what are they like to live with....are they reliable?

Ish.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome :D it is a well liked car and is no more unreliable than any other Benz, or infact one could say better than some other models .

Servicing is annually or say about 14k miles, what ever comes up first. It is expensive using MB for servicing and many owners opt out and use an indie after 3 years or when the warranty has expired

There is a big choice of engines and suspension.

You will get some better answers in during the day

JonnyCJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350 Grand Edition 2011, ML350 Sport 2010, VW Splitscreen 1965
Welcome !

I have a very late 55 plate CLS55 which I love to bits. The expensive service items are oil (8litres) and spark plugs (x16). You can provide the oil yourself if you have the car serviced at a main dealer or independent and the spark plugs you can change yourself if you're so inclined. Those two alone will save you a fortune on a service. Everything else is pretty much the same as a normal car, aside from the airmatic system, which I understand is pretty reliable. Not sure if all 55's and 63's have SBC braking, but if so the pumps can occasionally fail. Merc do a 10 yr warranty on the part, so that negates a major cost headache.

The engines are pretty much bullet proof, so not much to worry about there. Suspension bushes and ball joints will go, as they will on any car, being AMG the parts cost is a little more expensive than non AMG, but hardly worth worrying about.

I'm sure more experienced owners and experts can expand on ownership experiences, but the growl from that V8, the 4 door practicality and the stunning looks mean that if you don't have one you will never forgive yourself !

Good luck finding one !

Jonny

Last edited:
OP
I

ish330

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS
Hi Guys,

Thanks for getting back to this thread.

The thundering growl from that brutal V8 would put a smile on anyones face but it defo made my face ache! lol

cost wise what am I looking? about £1000 from independent and £1500 from main dealer??

ish

JonnyCJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350 Grand Edition 2011, ML350 Sport 2010, VW Splitscreen 1965
I would say a lot less than that. Oil is £70 or so from Opie oils, who offer a discount if you're on here. Plugs, which are about every 60 - 70,000 are about £140 ish on ebay and the other items are minor. A standard oil service shouldn't be more than £150 all in I'd say if you provide the oil. Things like cabin filters are £15-£20 and take 5 mins to do yourself.

By all means take it to a main dealer and pay through the nose, but if you're a little bit mechanically inclined or have a local indie who doesn't mind you providing the parts, I reckon the biggest service should be around £700 at an indie. You won't get many of those in your ownership !

If you're looking at a car check when the service is due and what letter it is. Then give MB a call and give them the reg and ask what the cost of the service is. If the seller has included the fact that the car will need a service in his price ask him how much he's allowed and then hit him with the MB cost :)

OP
I

ish330

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS
that's not bad at all actually.

I was expecting the cost to be in the 1000's...

My cousin paid £700 for a full service on his e46 M3

whats the gear box/clutch like? does it need to be replaced?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
that's not bad at all actually.

I was expecting the cost to be in the 1000's...

My cousin paid £700 for a full service on his e46 M3

whats the gear box/clutch like? does it need to be replaced?

It will have the 7g gearbox with a fluid change at 37k miles, and not an expensive operation.

By all means have the servicing done with MB to maintain the service history, but have the discs and pads changed by an indie or your self, and huge savings can be had. Most B services are around the £460 and the A service £300 ish then the odd service where the plugs need to be changed and a few other things, so on a par with BMW in this respect

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
CLS63 has the 7g box, CLS55 has the five speed box. CLS63 doesn't have SBC brakes (a good thing as the cars get older this pump is an expensive fix but I like SBC to drive with)

CLS55 is supercharged and is glorious. I had a great weekend driving one. Such nice cars to drive.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS63 has the 7g box, CLS55 has the five speed box. CLS63 doesn't have SBC brakes (a good thing as the cars get older this pump is an expensive fix but I like SBC to drive with)

CLS55 is supercharged and is glorious. I had a great weekend driving one. Such nice cars to drive.

from mid 06 no CLS has SBC

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
from mid 06 no CLS has SBC

Isn't that when the 55 was pulled and the 63 introduced. C240sport97 on the other side has one of the last CLS55's, an 06 reg. I drove it, it was one of the last and it has SBC but its a lot quieter than the SBC cars I had. 50% less noise from the pump.

From what its worth, I find I liked driving with SBC. It allowed a firm feeling pedal but in emergency situations could offer more assistance if required.

If you want strongly assisted brakes, like an Audi, the pedal usually is too light. Not in a Mercedes with SBC.

Problem is, the pumps are no longer getting changed FOC.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sorry for being dumb...whats sbc? lol

SBC is an electronic braking system, where the electric pump provides the braking pressure, as a system it was brilliant in the way that it worked, but sadly the pumps can and do wear out, the cost for the pump is around £1200 fitted, MB were replacing them free till a few months back, but now charge for most.

The worst aspect is when the system fails it gives very poor braking on the front wheels only

ozamgcls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS63,Mods. NTG2.5,linguatronic,2010 tailights,2010 grille,MB Wi Fi Hotspot, AMG illuminated sills
I just had my CLS 63 serviced today by dealer, 8L of Oil @13.99 per litre and a combination filter at £10.80, labour was approx £200. Previous service
12 months ago was approx £300 and prior to that 8 spark plugs at £8.00ea
and air filters at £20ea so not all that bad.
Labour is expensive though and independant would be cheaper but I like the peace of mid that a dealer offers .......

Hope this helps

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I just had my CLS 63 serviced today by dealer, 8L of Oil @13.99 per litre and a combination filter at £10.80, labour was approx £200. Previous service
12 months ago was approx £300 and prior to that 8 spark plugs at £8.00ea
and air filters at £20ea so not all that bad.
Labour is expensive though and independant would be cheaper but I like the peace of mid that a dealer offers .......

Hope this helps
That was £300 for an A service then, how can that give peace of mind for ½ hour to 1 hour work plus oil at £60 to them.

ozamgcls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS63,Mods. NTG2.5,linguatronic,2010 tailights,2010 grille,MB Wi Fi Hotspot, AMG illuminated sills
It was £200 for labour and I know I got done on the oil. Previous service included plugs ......I know ... I know.

Still you get a nice cup of coffee and a C Class to run around in for the day.
Stop/Start on C is quite horrid - never experienced it before.....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It was £200 for labour and I know I got done on the oil. Previous service included plugs ......I know ... I know.

Still you get a nice cup of coffee and a C Class to run around in for the day.
Stop/Start on C is quite horrid - never experienced it before.....

I had the stop start on my C class loan car,, I just hated it, it was horrible

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What was horrible about it? I had it on a loan A class and felt the opposite. For town use it's good

Maybe it was just that I hated the bouncy little thing, it was a very nippy tin box to sit in, I guess I am just used to big cars :D

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom