Digital Radio (DAB) for Mercedes

Comand

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63, SL55, A150, X5, Raptor, ZX10, ZRX1100, Mini, RD350B, RD250B
We are pleased to announce the launch of the In2digi DAB digital radio solution for Mercedes Benz cars.

This solution, was specifically designed to address the need for an integrated DAB solution for pre model year 2009 MOST NTG1/NTG2 based cars. Support for post model year 2009, in native mode is coming soon aswell.

Fully digital from the antenna right through to the amplifier.

The product is the only one on the market at the moment that doesnt rely on FM retransmission or a separate display screen. Using the existing Comand screen, users can enjoy control of the unit from the comand controls and steering wheel controls.

gallery-img01.jpg

Suitable for the following model year cars with NTG1 / NTG2 Comand;

W211 E class 2002 - 2008
W203 C class 2005 - 2007
W169 A class 2005 - 2008
W245 B class 2005 - 2008
R230 SL 2005 - 2008
W220 S class 2004 - 2005
W215 CL class 2004 - 2005
W209 CLK 2005 - 2009
R171 SLK 2005 - 2008
W164 ML 2005 - 2008
X164 GL 2005 - 2008
W251 R class 2005 - 2008

http://www.comandonline.co.uk/in2digi-DAB-radio-D1.html

Native support for 2009 cars is coming.

W204 C class and cars with audio-20 are not currently supported.

Please feel free to contact us for any further information.

Wheel

Reaction score
Website
oldmusicvideos.blogspot.com
Your Mercedes
Mercedes B200 Sport
Well done on the product launch.

Should say though, you aren't the first product that avoids FM and separate displays - the CKO DAB2011 is the first in that respect. However, it doesn't have a particularly nice GUI, and needs a remote control to change station. And there are of course devices out there that don't require a separate display (AutoDAB, MediaDAB) or FM retransmission (Pure Highway/Alpine EZ, Acoustic Solutions ICS100).

Despite all of the other products on the market, don't let those detract from the fact this is the only purpose made for Mercedes out there. So hopefully the user experience shouldn't be compromised in any way.

I couldn't see an instruction manual on the Comand site. How does the unit sort services? Does it require tuning by multiplex, does it autoscan everything at powerup, or does it contain twin tuners to dynamically update the station list as you drive about? It would be great if something like this could be invented for Audio20, although I suppose they might be a bit too basic for any add ons!

OP
C

Comand

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well done on the product launch.

Should say though, you aren't the first product that avoids FM and separate displays - the CKO DAB2011 is the first in that respect. However, it doesn't have a particularly nice GUI, and needs a remote control to change station. And there are of course devices out there that don't require a separate display (AutoDAB, MediaDAB) or FM retransmission (Pure Highway/Alpine EZ, Acoustic Solutions ICS100).

Despite all of the other products on the market, don't let those detract from the fact this is the only purpose made for Mercedes out there. So hopefully the user experience shouldn't be compromised in any way.

I couldn't see an instruction manual on the Comand site. How does the unit sort services? Does it require tuning by multiplex, does it autoscan everything at powerup, or does it contain twin tuners to dynamically update the station list as you drive about? It would be great if something like this could be invented for Audio20, although I suppose they might be a bit too basic for any add ons!

Thanks for the feedback.

The in2Digi is the only true digital device as all the other offerings somewhere use an AUX input or the FM aerial. The in2digi because it emulates a CD changer is digital right through to the amp in the car. Hence the sound quality is superior to all others.

The CKO product requires an AV input and uses analogue signals for the audio into the headunit. Many cars do not have this, particularly the W211 E class where comand without TV has no AV input.

Audio-20 support requires a separate display as there is no way of forcing the station text (CD text) onto the head unit. This is something the developers are looking at.

The unit has a single tuner and stores the stations. For national multiplexes like the BBC stations, no re-tuning is required. For local multiplexes then yes re-tuning would be required if you move out of the area. A classic example of this is 'Heart' where the station is broadcast nationally by a number of local stations. We havn't got around to a manual as yet but its very very easy to use.

Simply select CDC then select SCAN. The unit then scans for all available stations. The number of stations are shown in the display as is the signal strength. Full station text is also shown. Skipping through stations is done easily with the existing station skip buttons or by setting a preset or by using the steering wheel controls.

For those of you who know Richard, you will be pleased to hear that he is on the design team of this product so you can be assured it'll have the best integration possible on a Mercedes :D

Lastly, native mode for NTG 2.5 is being tested (in richards ML63). Once this is complete the in2digi product will be the only third party offering that completely emulates factory DAB in the newer cars.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Have to admit though with DAB as you drive the signals 'change/move' about and dont really stay 'on' as with analogue ..do they or dont they? When you sit still and tiune it in , as per the one in mine its fine , but drive about and its much more variable .... down to the unit in my car or the DAB signals?

OP
C

Comand

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have to admit though with DAB as you drive the signals 'change/move' about and dont really stay 'on' as with analogue ..do they or dont they? When you sit still and tiune it in , as per the one in mine its fine , but drive about and its much more variable .... down to the unit in my car or the DAB signals?

Assuming your car (2002 SL) has an aftermarket kit then I think its down to that kit if you are listening to a national multiplex such as BBC.

I have DAB in my B class and recently drove from SW London to SW Wales and didnt lose the digital signal from Radio2 at all.

DAB national multiplex stations do not require retuning. FM national stations automatically re-tune on most head units but DAB doesnt need to. Local stations, just as with FM do require re-tuning.

Last edited:

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
so , if i read this right , you are saying there is a 'local' DAB signal for , say , Radio 2 as well as a 'national' DAB signal for Radio 2 I have tuned to the Local instead of national...???

How can you tell the difference?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
so , if i read this right , you are saying there is a 'local' DAB signal for , say , Radio 2 as well as a 'national' DAB signal for Radio 2 I have tuned to the Local instead of national...???

You have to retune???
aa11216d.gif

OP
C

Comand

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

No. There is a local FM signal for Radio2 hence you can see the frequency change as you drive around the country.

For DAB the bigger broadcasters such as BBC there is no re-tuning required.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
but as i have an aftermarket kit fitted , as you say , it tunes to DAB thru the FM??? hence why it drops in/out? Whereas yours doesnt as it tunes 'direct'??

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
but as i have an aftermarket kit fitted , as you say , it tunes to DAB thru the FM??? hence why it drops in/out? Whereas yours doesnt as it tunes 'direct'??

This should not affect it,,,your dab will have a modulator that is tuned to a place on the FM band where there are no FM stations, and this is unaffected by what you are listening to.

Wheel

Reaction score
Website
oldmusicvideos.blogspot.com
Your Mercedes
Mercedes B200 Sport
For those that don't know how DAB works, in a nutshell...

FM/AM, one frequency = one station
DAB, one frequency = many stations on what is called a multiplex (or mux for short)

With DAB (unlike FM/AM) it is possible to have multiple transmitters broadcasting the same multiplex on the same frequency.

There are two national DAB multiplexes. One is operated by the BBC on frequency 12B broadcasting their own UK stations, and another is operated by Digital One on frequency 11D in England and Wales, and 12A in Scotland. This is why on DAB, when you listen to national services there is really no retuning needed as you drive around the country from transmitter to transmitter, it's not like the old FM RDS.

There are also local and regional multiplexes, but what you can get, and how many multiplexes/services you can get, depends on where you live.

Anyway, back to thread (kind of) there is a feature in DAB known as service linkage, which enables quasi-national "local" stations such as Heart to provide information to radios about alternative multiplexes the service is carried on. There is also a TA feature on DAB, but very few car radios seem to support either service linkage or DAB TA. I wonder if the Comand unit supports service linkage?

The reason for my interest in the DAB threads that appear is that for over four years I managed the operations of 26 of the UK's local and regional DAB multiplexes.

Comand, thanks for taking the time to reply to my earlier posts. I think it's great there are so many after market options now available compared with this time 12 months ago!

richardN2O

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL55 AMG Kompressor
We are pleased to announce the launch of the In2digi DAB digital radio solution for Mercedes Benz cars.
Suitable for the following model year cars with NTG1 / NTG2 Comand;
W215 CL class 2004 - 2005
Please feel free to contact us for any further information.
I am very interested, but would like to know more about the antenna set-up as reception has always been the biggest problem and still is. My current PURE HIGHWAY Tuner/Receiver set-up is constantly losing signal, even though I have an external standalone ariel. So obviously I would like the convidence to know this is going to work, before I commit.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am very interested, but would like to know more about the antenna set-up as reception has always been the biggest problem and still is. My current PURE HIGHWAY Tuner/Receiver set-up is constantly losing signal, even though I have an external standalone ariel. So obviously I would like the convidence to know this is going to work, before I commit.

Do you have TV in the car, on a 230 the antenna is in the front screen, it could be there and unused at the top

richardN2O

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL55 AMG Kompressor
Do you have TV in the car, on a 230 the antenna is in the front screen, it could be there and unused at the top
Hi Malcolm, I don't have a TV, just the button. I've sent a query directly to the Command contact. When I get further info, I will share it :)

richardN2O

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL55 AMG Kompressor
Hang on a minute, If I have a spare ariel, surely I could utilise that for my existing set-up. Sounds like we have a discussion for the Xmas dinner :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hang on a minute, If I have a spare ariel, surely I could utilise that for my existing set-up. Sounds like we have a discussion for the Xmas dinner :)

If it is in the screen, when I had my screen replaced the guy said they all have them, if this is the case its a matter of picking up the screen wires, use an amp and that should be perfect, but again as long as the bit is in the screen

richardN2O

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL55 AMG Kompressor
A very efficient response from Command:

The in2digi device uses either the cars existing built in antenna and an
antenna amp or an internally mounted small active antenna.
The reception we find is very good. Comparable to the factory DAB
installations.
Sadly though the in2digi system wont work for your car as yours is D2B not
MOST based im afraid.

Back to the Pure Highway for me :-(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A very efficient response from Command:

The in2digi device uses either the cars existing built in antenna and an
antenna amp or an internally mounted small active antenna.
The reception we find is very good. Comparable to the factory DAB
installations.
Sadly though the in2digi system wont work for your car as yours is D2B not
MOST based im afraid.

Back to the Pure Highway for me :-(

You can still tap into the cars antenna and use an amp as i said,,,I will try and find the details of your screen

OP
C

Comand

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
IF its like the SL then its a dashboard out job to ge to the antenna amplifiers.

Richard has done this very job for the big SL facelift.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom