W212 Estate Luggage net

malcolmpiper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 E220 Exec SE Estate
Hi,

Does anyone know if the vertical pull up luggage net which fixes to the roof is strong enough to keep 35kg of dog contained within the boot compartment in the case of an accident?

I'm don't know if the design purpose is just to keep very small/light items contained or if it will keep heavy items contained too.

If possible I'd like to avoid the cost and inconvenience of fitting the metal divider.

drivemycar816

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 E320
I don't know, really, but if it does I guess the next question is "how long will the net hold?" I suppose the distance and time to get to the vet are also something to consider. And just in case, you may want to place a board underneath the net to help support the weight. Hope it helps.

OP
M

malcolmpiper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 E220 Exec SE Estate
There must be a design purpose for this luggage net - the question is what was it designed for?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know if the vertical pull up luggage net which fixes to the roof is strong enough to keep 35kg of dog contained within the boot compartment in the case of an accident?

I'm don't know if the design purpose is just to keep very small/light items contained or if it will keep heavy items contained too.

If possible I'd like to avoid the cost and inconvenience of fitting the metal divider.

Yes, the intention of the net is stop small objects in the boot area becoming lethal missiles in the event of a frontal collision. I would very much doubt that it would stop a 35kg dog in such circumstances although it would certainly help. You could use the net and a dog harness attached to the load anchorage positions which i have considered doing. This would allow the dog some movement.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
OP
M

malcolmpiper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 E220 Exec SE Estate
Just as I thought. Looks like I'll have to invest in the metal divider - I'll be on the phone to the dealership today :(

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom