ml 270 injeator bolt snap..

wainer81

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml 270
just seen if some one can help me,
the bolt snap when i was changing two injectors. i've drilled it out but the threads are gone,

now i just need to know what to do, do i tap it out for a bigger bolt and if so what size to go what bolt do i use like for like?
or do i go down the road of helicoil or timesert i've heard there can blow out,
any help would be great....

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
just seen if some one can help me,
the bolt snap when i was changing two injectors. i've drilled it out but the threads are gone,

now i just need to know what to do, do i tap it out for a bigger bolt and if so what size to go what bolt do i use like for like?
or do i go down the road of helicoil or timesert i've heard there can blow out,
any help would be great....

I'd always use a Timesert in preference to a Helicoil. No reason why a Timesert would blow out any more easily than the original bolt would have done.

OP
W

wainer81

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml 270
Thanks I'm going with the timesert, a few people said to me it's a better jod then the helicoil so wait and see...

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
well, they say Due to the design of the cylinder head and the clamping arrangement it is not possible to use an ordinary helicoil type repair insert.,
i have nothing but good experiences with helicoils in different applications if done properly.
I believe problem is make the helicoil thread because hole is too deep to the ordinary thread tool, and also may be difficult to make long enough thread due to relatively shallow bottom of the thread (nice explain, huh?) :rolleyes::shock: However people HAVE done helicoils repairs too. Also some guys had make M8 thread and just drilled the hole in the clamp bigger too.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Because stretch bolts are used people who drill them out to M8 then use a standard bolt aren't curing the issue, seen it time and again.

Stretch bolts are used because as the engine heats and various metals expand the stretch bolts can hold torque and strength, where as a standard cast bolt wont, you will find after around 2000 miles you will see the black death back again and possibly a loose injector.

OP
W

wainer81

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml 270
I'm going to use the timesert, but how much threads are ther at the bottom, to me it looks ten to 15mm???

OP
W

wainer81

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml 270
I've been trying to find out the torque sitting for the injector bolts. All I've fond is 7nm and 90+90 is that right, any happy would be great thanks.

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
I've been trying to find out the torque sitting for the injector bolts. All I've fond is 7nm and 90+90 is that right, any happy would be great thanks.

Yep. (Was earlier only 1x90deg, but changed few years ago)

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS

Bear in mind that if you are now using a different size bolt (non-stretch bolt), then the normal torque setting won't apply.

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bear in mind that if you are now using a different size bolt (non-stretch bolt), then the normal torque setting won't apply.

What? I'm not familiar with timeserts, so I wonder isn't the inner thread original sized (like helicoil)? Isn't that basically idea of the thread repairs that you can use original bolts (stretch/stud bolt etc.)?

OP
W

wainer81

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml 270
I've use the timesert in one injector and it did the job torqued up right, but the threads in one is gone and the timesert won't work, so looks like ill have to rethread it for a 8mm bolt what is the best bolt to use and dose it have to be the same as the original one. Any help work be great. Thanks.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
I've use the timesert in one injector and it did the job torqued up right, but the threads in one is gone and the timesert won't work, so looks like ill have to rethread it for a 8mm bolt what is the best bolt to use and dose it have to be the same as the original one. Any help work be great. Thanks.

You will never seal it with a 8mm bolt properly, it doesnt work. 2000 miles and it will be leaking again. Speak to someone like Price Bros Auto Engineering or someone similar for some advice. They do my rethread work on glow plugs etc.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
A supplier I used to use had an ML270 with a helicoil on an injector (fitted by Mercedes) he just had time to get out of it on the M4 before it went up in flames...

OP
W

wainer81

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml 270
I'll have to look into it a bit more, I've rang a few merc guys and they said just put a 8mm in that's what they do and a lot won't take it on.
It's a 12year jeep so if its going to cost big money to fix there not much point, thanks for the help.

Rockall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many
I'll have to look into it a bit more, I've rang a few merc guys and they said just put a 8mm in that's what they do and a lot won't take it on.
It's a 12year jeep so if its going to cost big money to fix there not much point, thanks for the help.
Try Ned Kelly in Castlecomer in Kilkenny - he is an independent and there is nothing he doesn't know about Mercs.

Regards
Bill

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Just a quick question. How did you drill it out? I tried on mine, but couldn't find a drill bit long enough! Ended up getting it towed to a thread repair place who then over charged to the tune of 200 pounds for 2 helicoils.

Also, as said before, if you don't use a stretch bolt, you wont cure your fault. Lots of stories on the forum of people replacing with standard bolts which just dont work

OP
W

wainer81

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml 270
I got longer drill bits from wurth and drill it out but the treads were gone in one of them.
I don't wont to put the 8mm in it cos ever one saids it won't work so ill have to send it some were now to fix the last one.
What I've read on this the helicoil are not the job for this they just blow out, let's hope the timesert will hold in mine.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Theres nothing wrong with a helicoil done right, mine has had a helicoil and has been fine for 20k miles!

OP
W

wainer81

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml 270
That's good to no, I won't rule it out now. It's just when you read something like this it would put me off.

A supplier I used to use had an ML270 with a helicoil on an injector (fitted by Mercedes) he just had time to get out of it on the M4 before it went up in flames...

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom