O/S Xenon lamp problems

JBunney17

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 W210 Estate, E320 W210 Estate
The driver's side xenon dipped beam, on my E200 S210 was working fine right up to when i turned the car on, on a very cold and frosty night.. The driver's side xenon dipped light didn't come on at all.. when I indicate (even without the dipped beam on), sometimes the abs (i think) warning light flashes. The sidelights still work though.
On the MOT the faults have come up as:

Offside headlamp not working on dipped beam
Offside front direction indicator adversely affected by the operation of another lamp.
Offside headlamp not working on main beam (However this could just be a bulb).

I'm considering selling it as spares/repairs or scrapping it after my usually reliable garage has told me they'll charge £300 to fix the problem which seems like a deep electrical fault... however I became suspicious when they seemed to want to avoid telling me what was causing the problem and even how they would fix it.

I don't really know anything about xenon lamps so I just wanted to find out if anyone has seen this problem before, and how it can be sorted.

Many thanks :)

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It could be the bulb or the igniter/ control unit,,try swapping the bulbs first from the good side,,,, do not turn the lamps on with no bulb in,,,be it a good or bad bulb

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
It will almost certainly be the earth behind the lamp housing in the engine bay. They rust and break off. It's a bunch of brown wires attached to the chassis.

Last edited:
OP
J

JBunney17

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 W210 Estate, E320 W210 Estate
Alright, thany you very much. I'll try both those during the week.
Is it also possible to swap the igniter/control units around as well to diagnose a faulty part?

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Alright, thany you very much. I'll try both those during the week.
Is it also possible to swap the igniter/control units around as well to diagnose a faulty part?

Yes...if it's not the earths you can swap the bits to the other side.

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
If you need any spare parts I have a couple of xenon headlamps

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom