Ml270 black smoke

Adem88

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 ML 270 CDI
Hi guys I have a 2003 ml 270 cdi, it was running great until the plastic pipe from the turbo to the airfilter/maf cover split, so I replaced that along with a new maf it was good for about a week and I am noticing black smoke on accelerating it only happens when the turbo kicks in and I can hear the turbo wind up, not a whooshing sound but you can hear the boost, I have checked the hoses/pipes etc but I can't find anything, I have used only genuine parts from mercedes, thanks in advanced also it has done 250000 kms

Last edited:

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Was the maf a cheap ebay one our a genuine one?

OP
A

Adem88

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 ML 270 CDI
I have cleaned the egr didn't help I didn't notice any oil on the side of engine but I did notice the manifold rod has abit of oil/gunk on it

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
I have cleaned the egr didn't help I didn't notice any oil on the side of engine but I did notice the manifold rod has abit of oil/gunk on it

Pretty normal for the rod to leak a bit. The filth inside the manifold has to be seen to be believed....
The egr valve can still play up after cleaning. They get marked up a bit and can stick open a bit which causes a severe reduction in oxygen values in the air volume. This in turn causes incomplete burn and black smoke.
There is a quite simple electronic bypass available that removes the egr from the system completely and prevents any issues with it. See the post by dieselman for details. I did the shunt a year ago and recommend it highly.
The inlet manifold could really do with a clean out too. It will be very restricted by the gunk buildup.
Cheers - good to see another Aussie on here!!!!

OP
A

Adem88

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 ML 270 CDI
Hey oigle thanks for your input I'm going to try find someone in melbourne to do the egr shunt for me as I'm no good with electronics.. With the shunt mod does the intake manifold butterfly's have to be removed or inlet manifold stays the same

stumo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270CDI x3 2002,03,04 | Sprinter 316CDI 2003 LWB
It could also be your manifold flaps. Either way the EGR delete mod is well worth doing first. I've done mine almost a year ago and its been fine. You don't touch the manifold for the shunt, its just hooking up some wires.

Last edited:
OP
A

Adem88

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 ML 270 CDI
Stump thanks for your reply I see you are in vic maybe I can pay you to do the mod?

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
As stumo said, make sure your manifold flaps are operating correctly. If the linkage has come off or the flaps are jammed closed, you will get similar issues to yours.

stumo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270CDI x3 2002,03,04 | Sprinter 316CDI 2003 LWB
Its really difficult to see the flap linkages when I tried on mine, there is a lot of junk packed under and around the manifold.

I have decided i will just remove the manifold and permanently delete them. Its a big job, I just hope i get round to it before one gets ingested and breaks the engine. Mine has similar k's to yours.

Im sure we could come to an arrangement if you want me to do the EGR shunt for you. I also have star diagnostics so can check your codes too. I'm in Mount Waverley.

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
How to I check if they are working correctly

You can see linkages below the manifold, either below front most cylinder duct or between two rear cylinder manifold ducts. When you rise revs from idle, linkages should move. But manifold can be clogged even flaps are moving. Codes will tell if flap motor is functional at all.

Like said, remove manifold, clean it, remove flaps, disable egr, and have a happy miles.

OP
A

Adem88

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 ML 270 CDI
Hey stumo thanks for that mate I would appreciate the shunt mod and codes read. Your not that far I'm in essendon pm me a cost and a time when your available. I appreciate it

OP
A

Adem88

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 ML 270 CDI
Just checked to see if the rod moves while rising the revs it, and I does freely I did notice the it dosnt stay open whilst revving higer. As soon as you let go of the throttle and blip it again it opens

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
Just checked to see if the rod moves while rising the revs it, and I does freely I did notice the it dosnt stay open whilst revving higer. As soon as you let go of the throttle and blip it again it opens

That is the way it works. Looking more like an egr problem.

OP
A

Adem88

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 ML 270 CDI
thanks for that i have taken the pipe of that connects to the egr and have taken a video the egr valve is opening half way not sure it is normal or not and you can also see the manifold rod working, (sorry about the no sound) . the egr was cleaned out about 150kms ago. i dont have any oil leaks aswell and my fuel consumption is so bad, (need to change thermostat aswell)

Here is the video i just made
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqOemY2rZ70&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
OP
A

Adem88

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 ML 270 CDI
Did you notice the little bit of black smoke coming from the pipe that connects to the egr

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
Did you notice the little bit of black smoke coming from the pipe that connects to the egr

No - not clear enough. Not surprised that a bit of black smoke might come from there. if that is the big pipe from the heater/cooler matrix. Direct connection to the exhaust.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom