CLK55 brakes

rlw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK55
Have bought a nice car and hoping to pick it this week. Among the identified issues are the front brakes which will need new discs and pads shortly. Now, bear in mind I'm coming from a GT3 weighing 1350kg and going to this car weighing 1850+kg, and that I like to drive quickly and brake quite late, and I'm not too struck on what I've experienced so far. The new car has the smaller discs - drilled 330mm I think - and I'm not looking to add a big brake kit but I want the best stopping power available within the existing parameters. Has anyone tried the EBC discs or the pads? The red stuff pads are quite good, the yellow stuff even better but possibly too soft for a heavy car. The prices are just about the same as Mercedes OE (and a quarter of what Porsche charge!) and I know EBC have quite a good reputation. Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Ta

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
I would offer my advice and say buy genuine for your car. You will be able to squeeze some discount out of your local mb dealer

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have been using EBC red pads for 7 years or more, the new formula is better than the old, with very good bite from cold.

Little difference in the disc as I am sure that many all come down the same production line

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
I have a C43 AMG which has the same front brakes as a 208 CLK55 AMG, I have a set of EBC Red pads fitted on the front, now at risk of upsetting people, I hate them, they are too hard, very noisy, specially braking from speed I would never fit them again.
I as WG MB would reccommend genuine MB.
I would reccommend however Goodridge stainless brake lines as these did make a noticable difference to the braking on my car.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi,
I have a C43 AMG which has the same front brakes as a 208 CLK55 AMG, I have a set of EBC Red pads fitted on the front, now at risk of upsetting people, I hate them, they are too hard, very noisy, specially braking from speed I would never fit them again.
I as WG MB would reccommend genuine MB.
I would reccommend however Goodridge stainless brake lines as these did make a noticable difference to the braking on my car.

I had them on my 129, the 140 and you could here them a little, on my 230 and 216 I have the new formula, the 216 is one of the quietest cars on the road, and no noise at all. Maybe yours are the old type from a couple of years back, the formula has changed in 2010.

The bite is much better than with the dirty old original pads that were on it.

It does not upset me in what you use, I say they are superb, when TMD do the dust free pads for mine I might try those :D

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You may possibly right about mine being the older type, but these have been so bad that I would not risk it again. Mine are,nt just slightly noisy, there so noisy that even passengers comment on it and even my old mum notices it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You may possibly right about mine being the older type, but these have been so bad that I would not risk it again. Mine are,nt just slightly noisy, there so noisy that even passengers comment on it and even my old mum notices it.
Then you are alone on this one, as I say I drive a car much quieter than yours and you hear nothing. Never heard anyone else complain about any sound

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
No he's not, plenty of experience of noises bad feel atermarket brakes.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No he's not, plenty of experience of noises bad feel atermarket brakes.

Here we go again,, not squealing , and I have plenty of experience using them just have the hundreds of thousands that do use them, EBC are very good pads

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yep, as you know he's not alone on this one, there has been previous post on this matter. Yes there are a lot of happy customers but their are a few that are not. As previously posted, I have used ebc in my race car but then again I'm not worried about the noise. Just because you have not experienced any problems it doesn't mean nobody else has.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well I can only speak from my own personal experience and it tells me that they are C**P, I know of at least one well reputed indy that won,t use them, and from what I can see possibly two more in this thread.
I was very dissappointed with them as I have used EBC for both discs and pads for motor bikes with no issues.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me too, I use them on my bikes too.
If any ones interested Google " problems with ebc brake pads"

We are not alone.

Last edited:

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I tend to fit MB pads and non-MB discs. Currently I have Pagid discs, which seem just as good as the MB ones.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
90% of complaints about EBC are to do with motor cycles, the other 10% are where people have fitted the wrong pads for their car, ie black in a road car

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
I tend to fit MB pads and non-MB discs. Currently I have Pagid discs, which seem just as good as the MB ones.

This is an option we offer to customers on a budget, which seems to be most of them frankly.
So far not had any problems with Textar or Pagid discs fitted with pads supplied by MB, and can save a good few £££s!

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
90% of complaints about EBC are to do with motor cycles, the other 10% are where people have fitted the wrong pads for their car, ie black in a road car

Well it does happen, as it has happened to me, I am afterall only quoting from my own personnal experience, which is that I find them C**P and that two forum respected Indys have posted and another one that I know his opinion on them. This seems to say that they are not necassarily as good as people make them out to be.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well it does happen, as it has happened to me, I am afterall only quoting from my own personnal experience, which is that I find them C**P and that two forum respected Indys have posted and another one that I know his opinion on them. This seems to say that they are not necassarily as good as people make them out to be.

For goodness sake climb down a bit, we have one indie and you,that does not like them, the indie uses them on his bike ??,,,I have had them in my last 6 cars and I love them as do so many others, and here I speak from my own experience they are so very good if installed correctly, and the samples that you have are outdated some time ago, and again I never had any problems with those either. If they were so called crap, how come the company is selling more and more.

DSC00772.jpg

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm, you cannot tell me that the problems we and others have experienced is down to incorrect fitment etc. I can only relay my experience of them.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
For goodness sake climb down a bit, we have one indie and you,that does not like them, the indie uses them on his bike ??,,,I have had them in my last 6 cars and I love them as do so many others, and here I speak from my own experience they are so very good if installed correctly, and the samples that you have are outdated some time ago, and again I never had any problems with those either. If they were so called crap, how come the company is selling more and more.

It's amazing what crap people will put up with, if they think they are saving money... :rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm, you cannot tell me that the problems we and others have experienced is down to incorrect fitment etc. I can only relay my experience of them.

We have been all through this so many time its boring, you are an indie that states that you use genuine parts, so you are not going to be fitting EBC pads are you, I just do not understand the big deal, you do not like them but use them, I use them and love them, so there we are :D

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom