Trying to repair rim damage

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just been playing with some AMG wheels, the most stupid design ever as the rim sticks out further than any tyre. These wheels cost more that £5k, I will not be using them, just playing to see what can be done at home.
DSC00822.jpg

DSC00823.jpg

It is easy to get them to this with a belt sander, re form the outer curve and paint the curved part, this has to be done as the face of the rim becomes larger, the more you take off the face.
DSC00827.jpg

The main problem is the there is no way to get the diamond cut sparkle with any sandpaper, the aluminium will take on the colour of the paper used, the best effect was fine sand paper, but still not bright enough. this is the effect of wet and dry, and still no good. for a good blend to the spokes one would normally feather the old edge, but touch the bare aluminium and back to square one
DSC00837-1.jpg

So the alumium has to be made more silver and this is easy and the effect quite good
DSC00842.jpg

DSC00843.jpg

But this finish is not a finish on its own, there are no silver paints bright enough, this finish in the picture is a high temp paint but it needs a 2 pack.

Any 2 pack (2k) melts the high temp paint, and it changes colour.
My last try will be mixing some ground aluminium powder with the 2k.

If it works I will put up the finished result, if I do not post back I will just sell the things off as is :D:D

spock500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300TD, 1998
What about sticky back plastic, uknow the stuff on Blue Peter :D

[YOUTUBE]3MrWvHNLuj8[/YOUTUBE]

Cool muzik too:cool:

Last edited:

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
The only way to recover a clean finish it to work the alloy with 800-1500-2000-2500 grit paper until the surface is smooth then polish to a mirror shine.

The other alternative to repairing the scuffs is to clean the scuff add soap to the scuff and then heat with a blow torch and feed alloy rods into the scuff then file to a smooth finish and then work it with grit paper to a nice finish.

Ive refurbished the 19" AMG's for the C140 this way.

jib

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The only way to recover a clean finish it to work the alloy with 800-1500-2000-2500 grit paper until the surface is smooth then polish to a mirror shine.

The other alternative to repairing the scuffs is to clean the scuff add soap to the scuff and then heat with a blow torch and feed alloy rods into the scuff then file to a smooth finish and then work it with grit paper to a nice finish.

Ive refurbished the 19" AMG's for the C140 this way.

jib

Cant do that Jib unless all the clear is taken off and that is impossible, a polished finish is nothing like the diamond cut, and a totally different colour :(

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Yes agree the only way to get a diamond cut finish is to diamond cut them but an alternative is to remove the diamond finish and leave it high shine.

jib

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes agree the only way to get a diamond cut finish is to diamond cut them but an alternative is to remove the diamond finish and leave it high shine.

jib

The work involved would be more than the job is worth, the edges of the spokes are curved and would need a total repaint, I only started out to see if I could re do the rim as you can hardly see it unless you got down on your hands and knees.

I still have the one last chance by mixing some ground aluminium with the top coat, if it looked like this as a finished job that would do
DSC00845.jpg

BAZZER1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320cdi AVANTGARDE SELECT
I can see you have a sensible cars hub caps ( volvo) to the right of your last photo Malcolm
Those were good old days before my Merc
BAZZER1

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can see you have a sensible cars hub caps ( volvo) to the right of your last photo Malcolm
Those were good old days before my Merc
BAZZER1

Eagle eyes :D:D

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Edited above to show link

Dear Sir I think you have the answer,, and that is what I will try, you are just brilliant and I could kiss you, but I will refrain :D:D

The wheels are smooth now and it should take very well, I can use them as winter wheels, if I damage one,,well just do it again.

Thanks again:D:D

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Had a similar problem a few months ago with a batch of VW Golfs, these had come off hire and lease and had the diamond cut wheels ..same problem wheels kerbed and need refurb.. Impossible to get the chrome silver look ...
Wheels were repaired and painted and lacquered ..same as your pics, only the edges were done as the spokes had a darker inset...
We used chrome silver as a finish ..no lacquer as the lacquer dulled the chrome effect.....but edges had already been primed and painted .. and washing and driving and washing again it held its finish..

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Had a similar problem a few months ago with a batch of VW Golfs, these had come off hire and lease and had the diamond cut wheels ..same problem wheels kerbed and need refurb.. Impossible to get the chrome silver look ...
Wheels were repaired and painted and lacquered ..same as your pics, only the edges were done as the spokes had a darker inset...
We used chrome silver as a finish ..no lacquer as the lacquer dulled the chrome effect.....but edges had already been primed and painted .. and washing and driving and washing again it held its finish..

Yes the same problems,,,,,I might try that plastic first.

Its hard as you cannot spray over sanded clear coat, and I have damage about 1" up some spokes. I just have not found a silver top coat that is bright enough to match the spokes

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
This might sound odd, but have you tried using a steel wire wheel to "polish" the worked on edges.

I was just thinking of aluminium panels and the type of finish that they put on them.

Probably worth trying it on a section of wheel that wont show, such as the area covered by the tyre. This would be simpler to repaint afterwards.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
A million years ago when I used to do these things,
I used to put a piece of cord through the wheel centre tie a scribe to it and gradually scribe (outwards as the cord unwound) over repaired areas to simulate the diamond cut.
It looked fine when stood looking at the car.
Its only practical for small areas.

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
Couldn't you use an old gramophone/turntable?

:lol:

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom