Damaged heated rear screen element

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Hi folks

School boy error. I've gone and damaged my heated screen elements by removing the sticker/transfer put on by the garage owner to advertise their premises.

I guess there is no chance of repairing this?

Although a long shot, but couldn't I persue this through the garage as THEY were the ones who placed the sticker on the screen?

DOH!

Kyle :(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
How many strands broken,, the trick is when doing this is to heat the sticker up with a warm air gun. There are some kits but not for pulled off strands.

The rest of the screen may still work OK

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Halfords sell a kit for repairing heated screens.

Easy fix but the tricky bit is making it look decent!

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
How many strands broken,, the trick is when doing this is to heat the sticker up with a warm air gun. There are some kits but not for pulled off strands.

The rest of the screen may still work OK

It wasn't exactly a sticker - more of a 'transfer' if that makes sense? I had to scrape it of. Thought I was being careful but obviously not careful enough :(

I think 2 maybe 3 of the bottom strands are damaged.

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Halfords sell a kit for repairing heated screens.

Easy fix but the tricky bit is making it look decent!

That's good to know. Not a total dissaster then :neutral:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
These repair kits where made for breaks in the strands rather than damaged strands, it is a paint with metal particles almost the same as the type you use for repairing worn key pads on remote controls

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
I've just had a closer look and I can't see any visible 'breaks' in the strands.

Assuming the strands are intact, what else could cause the heated screen not to work?

The light on the switch comes on when switched on.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When the wires go open circuit it can be near impossible to see them,, the first thing that I would do is to get the the connections to the screen near side, on the side and see if you have 12 volts there, there could be a fuse for the rear screen in the rear fuse box. If the lamp comes on and stays on the full 15 mins then the control part has latched and is OK

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
With this type of heated screen element, if two of the 'lines' across the screen were damaged, (bottom two) would I be presuming that all the others would still work and still demist the screen?

I'm trying varous ways to repair this. The paint stuff from Halfords, although may work, it is very difficult to apply 'neatly' so I gave up! lol

I've ordered some 0.03 mm thick copper adhesive material I hope to 'finely' cut and join the broken elements.

Also ordered some very fine copper jewelery wire that I hope to 'attatch' somehow to the screen.

I was also considering some 'copper leaf' and somehow attatching this,

Resourcefull if nothing else. IF any of the above works it'll save me £500 on a new screen! :shock:

It's only on close inspection where I notice the damage to the elements from where I 'scrapped' off the dealer sticker. The elements damaged are no longer a copper colour and thinner.

Fingers crossed I can sort it :)

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The copper element won't work.
The paint will, clean area with alcohol or similar mask with the fine masking tape,often blue,rub along line with scourer type abrasive, clean again then mix paint well and paint on in thin coats.

Last edited:

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
Did you get the 12V at the screen?, if you did,nt did you check the fuses, just because the switch light comes on does,nt mean there should be power at the screen as there are two fuses for the heated screen.
Regarding the replacement screen (if needed), approach a local small windscreen company and you,ll be surprised at how much cheaper you could get a screen.
I thought I might have to get my front windscreen replaced recently on my AMG when it went in for a respray as there was slight rust under it, and they could,nt guarentee it would come out in one piece, they gave me a price of £145 fitted, for a new screen if it broke, but as luck would have it it was ok.

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
The copper element won't work.
The paint will, clean area with alcohol or similar mask with the fine masking tape,often blue,rub along line with scourer type abrasive, clean again then mix paint well and paint on in thin coats.

Blue masking tape? I need to try a different tape as the one I used didn't stick very well due to cold weather I think?

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Hi,
Did you get the 12V at the screen?, if you did,nt did you check the fuses, just because the switch light comes on does,nt mean there should be power at the screen as there are two fuses for the heated screen.
Regarding the replacement screen (if needed), approach a local small windscreen company and you,ll be surprised at how much cheaper you could get a screen.
I thought I might have to get my front windscreen replaced recently on my AMG when it went in for a respray as there was slight rust under it, and they could,nt guarentee it would come out in one piece, they gave me a price of £145 fitted, for a new screen if it broke, but as luck would have it it was ok.

I've read that there are 2 fuses, where is the other one? I replaced the one under bonnet as a matter of course.

I pressumed the garage checked all circuits and fuses. They sais the fault is in the element in the screen. Hence me trying to repair it. :(

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Blue masking tape? I need to try a different tape as the one I used didn't stick very well due to cold weather I think?

This stuff

Attachments

• Bluemasking.jpg
    Bluemasking.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 23

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
You don't need to buy 3M it was just to show you the type.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
there has been a case outlined in the official club magazine where severe rust WITHIN the rear screen metal surround has caused the heating element to become severed in some places.

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
I know older Mercs are prone to rusting but how the hell does water get into the screen??
Silly question.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom