Touring: Loch Lomond East

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
I had to go to Tesco's this AM, I am desperately short of socks that do not have holes in them and needed to get some food. The nearest big Tesco is in Maryhill, or Springburn and both of these places are desperate parts of the world, so I thought I'd go a convoluted way as I can afford the fuel to drive wherever I want to go. The joys of a diesel car.

As you fine well know, Loch Lomond is lovely and a lovely place to be, even in winter

DSC_0264 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

DSC_0267 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

It would seem not to take a picture of my wonderful car. I really love the car, its superb.

DSC_0268 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

From here, you could go straight to Glasgow, but thats really boring.

So at the round about at Balloch, you follow the road to Stirling, and that takes you along the south banks of Loch Lomond and over to Drymen. Its a joy to drive my C class here. Even on winter tyres with the awful noise they make, grip is still good and steering feels ok but they are designed to work on icey conditions, not for high speed aping around so I took it easy.

I'm sure Developer215 was here making deliveries

DSC_0277 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

Whilst a 211 estate is ideal for making this sort of delivery, the 204 estate really is a triumph. Really chuckable and nice shock absorbers that keep the nose from kissing the ground as our roads are really bumpy.

The final stop was Balmaha before I faced the misery of Tesco in Maryhill....

DSC_0286 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

I did get some socks, a lot of food and chucked the lot in the back of the C class and then ate. MPG for the day, 40.9mpg and 60 miles round trip. Thats a tenner for a nice morning out.

Who said driving for fun is expensive.

Last edited:

Argus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 Brilliant Blue/Grey, M274
A trip like that certainly takes the drudgery out of sock shopping :D

Fantastic photos again Steve!

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Tesco do sell some good bamboo socks, but what make of winter tyres did you buy that are noisy? This is 2012, winter tyres are quiet now!

Russ

OP
st4

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
  • Banned
A trip like that certainly takes the drudgery out of sock shopping :D

Fantastic photos again Steve!

Cheers, I just couldn't face going straight to Tesco's.

Tesco do sell some good bamboo socks, but what make of winter tyres did you buy that are noisy? This is 2012, winter tyres are quiet now!

Russ

I've got Falken ones on the back and Hankook ones on the front. They aren't that bad, but noisier than I had before and not as good to drive on as the summers, but when the snow comes, I am hoping for good things but remain unimpressed so far.

LTD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 CDi Coupe Sport
In Maryhill you'd probably be able to get sex for a tenner.

wheelie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E280 Sport
These kind of photos make me want to move back to Scotland :(
Stunning shots Stephen.

As for the tyres ditch them pal, I had Falken FK452's for summer and won't use them again purely due to the tyre noise.
Just put the winter tyres on Vredestein Winter Xtreme all round and the difference is night and day.

Quite on motorway, B roads, A roads and tootling around town. The key thing for me was the tyre pressure to get the ride and noise right.
18" staggered larger rears and running 36 front and 38 rear.

Seriously impressed with them so much so that I'm looking at putting the Vredestein summer equivalent on in late March.

This day and age they shouldn't be that noisy. Especially as they might detract your attention away from the stunning views around you.

I got mine from www.mytyres.co.uk for £754 all in fitted. Bargain :)

Pete

P.S. love the shots again, you have a serious pictorial talent chap.

OP
st4

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
  • Banned
Vredestein Ultrac Sesantas will be my next summer tyre.

I had conti 3's on the skip and they are an over rated tyre, very noisy.

I'll eke the winter out of these then make the switch to the vredestein winter tyres

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E 500 A/G Classic colour combination.
Steve, That first shot is fantastic. A really good picture.

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
Just thought I would mention it Lizzy gets my socks from Tesco's. Every little helps, Thank you for the pictures ,always a pleasure to look at as I realy like Scotland but could not live there. Hope this helps

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Hmmmm George might have something to say about that..... I prefer socks that don't run away ...

Waft

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 E220 Sportline Coupe

Hey Steve!

Lovely write up.I was "back there" feeling Scotland as you described a journey I made myself once,for pleasure.A previous ladyfriend and I spent the night at the dead end road at Balmaha,in a Peugeot 305 Estate with choice lagerbieren and interesting tobacco.:p

And also Merry Christmas mate,you've given me my next few screensavers so thanks for the presents.

Steve.:D

Enigma AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 W164 ML63
Great photos I had my boat moored on the bridge pontoon in the second photo last year fab position and a beautiful lodge lomond is fab from the shore but unforgettable from the water probably the finest power boating in the country since the demise of Windermere......

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Fabulous photos. Theyre inspiring me to drive up into the welsh valleys. There are a lot of people out there that have wonderful cars but dont actually 'drive' them.
Lovely scenery, lovely car :)

OP
st4

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
  • Banned
Great photos I had my boat moored on the bridge pontoon in the second photo last year fab position and a beautiful lodge lomond is fab from the shore but unforgettable from the water probably the finest power boating in the country since the demise of Windermere......

I had great fun in a power boat two years back on loch Lomond. It lets you see it in a completely different prospective.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
I love Loch Lomond...Get on the seaplane!

You mean this one ? ;)

7761467122_80471669a7_b.jpg

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom