Back in the fold & a female comment

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E 500 A/G Classic colour combination.
Well after taking a deposit on the BMW I went V8 Merededs hunting. Quite rare beasts to say the least. So as usual when buying a car I set my budget and started to look for the best available with as many toys as possible, a man can never have too many toys, it must come from childhood. So I found 1 only and it turned out to be at my local MB dealer. Well it is well documented in other posts what I thought about this dealer (Alex) will remember, but I was in for a shock. I rang and was put through to the sales manager new in post from another MB dealer, we spoke arranged a test drive and that all went well. When I got back to the dealer I was shocked the whole place has been transformed and there are none of the old staff there, that in it's self must say something. So we had a chat did the deal and next week I will be driving a MB which 41/2 years ago cost someone just shy of £47,000.00 and I have paid less than a third of that. I could have for the same money a 2 year old Mondeo no brainer really.

Spec from the advert.

2008 (57 reg)
Saloon
33,000 miles
Automatic
5.5L
Petrol

4 Doors, Automatic, Saloon, Petrol, 33,000 miles, Periclase Green Metallic, Leather - Tundra Brown, 5462 cc, Electric Windows, Central Door Locking, Cruise Control, Electric Seats, Wood Trim, Alarm, Immobiliser, ABS, Climate Control, PARKTRONIC, COMAND System, Multiple airbags, Alarm and immobiliser, Leather upholstery, 17" alloy wheels, Automatic headlamps, Heated front seats, 8-speaker stereo system, Split Folding Rear Seat, Headlamp Wash, Rear Headrests, Folding Mirrors, Illuminated Vanity Mirrors, Multi Function Steering Wheel, CD Changer, Fog Lights, ASR, Dual Front Airbags, Electrically Adjustable Front Seats with Memory, Electrically Operated and Heated Exterior Mirrors, Metallic Paint, Telephone Pre Wiring, Panoramic Roof, Automatic Dimming Mirror, Bi Xenon Headlights with Wash System, First Aid Kit, Anti-theft alarm system including infrared interior monitoring.

Full report will follow, now for the female comment.
We have always run our home life the same way, Wife takes responsibility for all household things bills direct debits etc, and I do everything connected to movement,holidays, cars and so on, it's worked for the last 36 years so if it's not broken don't try to fix it. When I returned from the test drive she asked me how it went I said it was a very nice motor car that needs a good and proper clean (Not a dealer valet) and that I had put a deposit on it and would be collecting it next weekend. Good says she. "I never liked that BMW" she says after 25 months of riding round in it. I might not have mentioned the engine size we'll cross that bridge a some point in the future.

Remenham

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
a140
Congratulations, sounds a great car.

I have long fancied a 5.5 211 and would be interested to hear how you get on with it.

Some photos of the Periclase/Tundra combo please!

OP
The Pan Man

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks guys I will do the right thing when I have it and can get some decent light for photos. Think British Racing Green but in a metalic and sand rather than biege for the leather.

Last edited:

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
That car has to be have been by an old person, your know the sort, "I've had petrol cars all my life and would never drive a diesel". The colour scheme confirms it.

Its a good thing, it'll have been cherished and looked after.

OP
The Pan Man

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Steve, I wonder if yesterday was the first time it had been red lined. LOL

Remenham

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
a140
Probably, unless the old boy got his walking stick jammed on the pedal....

Was a tartan blanket left on the parcel shelf, the true indication of a geriatrics wheels...

I always wonder what the implication of a box of Kleenex on the back shelf is.

E320mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi sport 2007

Open to lots of possibilities really! Just hope John (47p2) doesn't see this, I know what his conclusion will be :)

OP
The Pan Man

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

MB would call that accessory Active SOMETHING OR OTHER.

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
My next SLK (R171) will be a V6. I wont be telling my better half till after its got. The mrs
is already freaking about the running costs of a 2.3 compaired to her previous 1.3
Toyota Yarris :shock:

OP
The Pan Man

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just take the badges off ....... she'll not know a V8 from a 4 pot!

Sorted with dealer already. I'm only old not senile.

Remenham

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
a140
Just looked at your car on Autotrader having done a search for 5 litre plus E class. Lovely colour scheme and spec and amazing value. Congratulations again.

OP
The Pan Man

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I would be embaresed to tell you what the final figure was and what was included, I felt a bit like dick turpin. Collecting Saturday. Early Xmas present.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I had a look too. Lovely car. You must be very pleased.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom