Help! Do I have a Cam belt or Timing Chain? - 2003 C200 Kompressor 1.8L

Hustler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 C200 Kompressor Coupe 1.8L
Hi,

I just out down a deposit for a car today and am going to pick it up tomorrow. This is my first ever car and I have noticed that the vehicle has not had it's timing belt or chain replaced at all from looking at the service history. The mileage on the vehicle is 113,000 miles. From looking under the bonnet, I and my partner think that the vehicle has a cam belt rather than a chain. Have we identified this correctly, or are we looking at a different sort of belt? If it is a cam belt, then surely a change is well overdue and imminent at this sort of mileage?

At first before viewing the car, I thought almost all Mercedes had timing chains fitted rather than belts. But now I am rather confused. From what I have read, a timing chain lasts much longer than a belt, and so at 113k miles, it should be fine?

I would highly appreciate any replies as I'm worried about forking out to have the belt/chain replaced very soon, especially as I'm stretched on finances after buying the car. I have little/no knowledge about car engines and parts, so please excuse me if this is a 'dumb' or ignorant question.

The vehicle is a 2003 (53 plate) Mercedes C200 Kompressor Coupe 1.8L​

Note: from the service history section of the car's book, I noticed a checkbox for 'Poly V-belt' is this a cam-belt or something else altogether?

Thank you ;)

Last edited:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
All Mercs use a timing chain.

They also have a Poly 'V' belt to drive the alternator/power steering/aircon. There is another poly belt to drive the compressor.

Last edited:
OP
H

Hustler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All Mercs use a timing chain.

They also have a Poly 'V' belt to drive the alternator/power steering/aircon. There is another poly belt to drive the compressor.

Hi, thanks for replying. ;) So this vehicle definitely has a timing chain. So what was that belt I could clearly see running when the engine was running? Is the the Poly V belt?

Also, does 113,000 miles mean that a timing belt chain is overdue? What is the expcected lifetime of a timing chain for this car?

Sorry about the questions, I'm just worried about being faced with high costs to replace it.

Thanks ;)

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Both the Poly V and the compressor belts are visible (check for cracking!)

The chain should be ok for many 100k miles as long as it's not noisy. They can stretch but usually will give notice of needing replacing before anything major happens..

OP
H

Hustler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi,

These are the belts I was referring to in my original post:

Overview shot (marked red)

Also, what is the reservoir that the green arrow is pointing to?

If anyone can tell me what that belt is, I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks ;)

Last edited:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Hi,

These are the belts I was referring to in my original post: ...

That's the belt would in the past have been called the 'fan belt' but as most fan are now electric are generally referred to as the 'auxiliary belt'

Cam belts are a completely different animal & have teeth on the inside that enable the various timing pulleys stay timed up with respect to each other.

Chains do generally last a long time, but aren't infallible. EmilysMum's Smart Roadster needed a new chain (and other bits) at around 40 000 miles. It also needed a new chain cover because the chain had that much slack in it that it had sawed a slot in it. :shock:

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom