keyless prob & query

scottishblue

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL AMG 5.4 & C63 AMG 6.3
afternoon all, SL55 AMG, keyless card unlocks & locks both doors from the passenger side, keyless card unlocks both doors from the drivers side but does NOT lock the drivers door (but does lock the passenger door) anybody know what the problem is & remedy? The keyfobs do lock/unlock both doors from both sides of the car. The reason why I ask this, is on other threads everybody says "get new handle as there can be some problems with water ingress etc" so I asked my non-MB dealer to get a new handle, he refused as he says he spoke to MB & they said "the problem could be anything!, so don't buy a new handle" so I'm stuck! I'm thinking of buying a handle myself!
Also, I'm thinking of upgrading the engine, suspension, supercharger, how do I find which model mine is? eg W220/R230? Thanks for all your help.

bigtwin

Banned
Reaction score
The dealer refused to buy a new handle? Good grief. I can understand saying that you have to pay even if it's not the problem, but refusing?

OP
S

scottishblue

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thats what..

I said: I'm not bothered about the price, get me the handle! he has'nt, so I'll contact another MB dealer & buy it & hope it solves the problem!

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
afternoon all, SL55 AMG, keyless card unlocks & locks both doors from the passenger side, keyless card unlocks both doors from the drivers side but does NOT lock the drivers door (but does lock the passenger door) anybody know what the problem is & remedy? The keyfobs do lock/unlock both doors from both sides of the car. The reason why I ask this, is on other threads everybody says "get new handle as there can be some problems with water ingress etc" so I asked my non-MB dealer to get a new handle, he refused as he says he spoke to MB & they said "the problem could be anything!, so don't buy a new handle" so I'm stuck! I'm thinking of buying a handle myself!
Also, I'm thinking of upgrading the engine, suspension, supercharger, how do I find which model mine is? eg W220/R230? Thanks for all your help.

Odd one. The first half - just for clarity I presume you mean you have the keyless card on your person so touching either door handle unlocks, pressing the (tiny square) button on passenger door locks both but press button on driver's only locks passenger.

It's the last scenario that throws me. I had very similar on my SL except pressing button on driver's door did nothing - that was water ingress & a new handle sorted it.

Out of interest, does the boot lock with both door handle buttons? (you would need to try, then take the card out of range to check!)

If it is as I've interpreted, then I think it needs to go to an MB indie to see what the driver's door button is telling the car and not throwing away £180 on the offchance!

OP
S

scottishblue

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi David..

yes, keyless fob is on my person when I go to lock/unlock it.
1, Touch button on passenger door, it will unlock & lock both doors.
2, Touch button on drivers door, it will unlock both doors but NOT lock drivers door but lock passenger door.
3, The boot locks, I've just checked it.
It never used to happen! always worked perfectly, & I can't understand it as drivers door locks with keyfobs as well!
Also, I don't know of any indie MB garages up here. Martin

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Hmm - it does point to the handle - I found the following indies in your area - I know nothing about them and can only find reference to them being close to main dealer prices, so maybe better go the main dealer route for diagnosis

Anyway here they are - http://www.bavariaautowerke.co.uk/contacts/index.php

If you want to bite the proverbial bullet (and it may be the best route)
Mercedes-Benz of Aberdeen
31 Craigshaw Drive
West Tullos Industrial Est.
AB12 3BE Aberdeen
Tel. +44 1224 634211
Fax. +44 1224 635954

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom