Why have a SLK when you can have a SL?

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Been thinking of my next Mercedes and was wanting an SLK R171 to replace my R170. After having a look through autotrader and lusting over the SL's I thought "for not much more money I could have an SL". OK, it might be a bit older (about 4 years) and no way could I afford to fuel the mighty 5.0 litre version but look at all the spec you get for around the same money I was planning to spend on a V6 R171.

I'm still drooling! . . . . . . :)

orb the Impaler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 SLK 250 CDi AMG | Volvo V70 2.5T AWD | MV Agusta F4 | 1999 YZF-R1
Early ones can be absolute moneypits - see threads passim.

You might get a good one. You might not. Throw that dice.

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
I was considering a 2004 ish model between £10 and £12 k :)
Would have to be the 3.5 engine though.

The same money would buy a 2008/9 SLK R171

I think the the SL looks far nicer though :)

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
its the only Merc to have :D

Though i stress this is just my opinion and I am very biased...

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
its the only Merc to have :D

Though i stress this is just my opinion and I am very biased...

I see you have the SL500. What are the fuel figures on one of those beastie engines out of interest?

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Around town (ie the local shops within a mile 15mpg!) , urban driving through the local town - about 19mpg , Motorway cruising 29mpg have had over 30 on a nice long stretch.

before this I had a C220 CDI I got an average of about 45mpg ...I estimate I am spending an extra 25-30% more on fuel from that taking into account price differential leaded to Diesel.

Truth be told most of my driving is motorway so I average maybe 23mpg out of it which I think is pretty good for such a beast.....

An SL isnt a cheap car to own though and I knew that when i bought Malcolms but without a shadow of a doubt its the best and nicest car I have ever driven... the SLK is a poor poor poor substitute..there is no comparison...

The SL turns heads ..not so the SLK (other than hairdressers :p )....

If running costs is an issue I do think the 320/350 is a more economical car for you but I am sure one fo those owners could comment on the mileage obtained etc...

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Try an SL55 :-D you know it makes sense. If your gonna have a V8, go the whole hog. I haven't regretted it (yet)

Seriously, the SL is in a totally different league. It feels like a big powerful car, but oh so smooth to drive. And the looks, wow, I just love mine in black. My MPG isn't a million miles different to Gordon's above, but it depends how you use your right foot.

Last edited:

azam6380

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG
I regret buying my SL55...It's been an absolute moneypit for me....I love it dearly but can't stomach the costs anymore.

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Unfortunately I have to compramise. If it was down to me, Id have the all singing all dancing engine but the 'other half' is already complaing about the current 2.3 engine.
It's not all about speed n power for me tbh, I prefer comfort and spec. A 3 litre engine is more than ample and if it pulls better than the 2.3 which Im sure it will, I'll be more than happy!
I have my 1400cc bike for the mind blowing speed :)

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Ive just been on Wikepiedia looking at model variants. Am I right in saying that after 2002 the R230 only came with 5 litre plus engines?

richyba

Reaction score
Website
www.4tours.biz
Your Mercedes
1978 T1 307D,2005 Slk200K,1982 300DSLC (honest!) & 1994 410d Camper
Well at the risk of all the hairdresser jokes I have to fight the SLK corner, my good lady allways wanted a R171 after her late mum had a very early one, sadly with advancing years it was no longer practical for her mum so she bought a Honda Jazz (I know!) When he mum passed away last year we inherited said Honda which we promptly sold and decided it would be a fitting tribute to get an SLK. I was quite prepared not to like it but I must say it is fun all the way, I love its looks and handling and the little 200K just screams fun! Chris (the good lady) says it makes her smile everytime she drives it and if a car does that it cant be all bad :cool:

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
An SL isnt a cheap car to own though and I knew that when i bought Malcolms but without a shadow of a doubt its the best and nicest car I have ever driven... the SLK is a poor poor poor substitute..there is no comparison...

I didn't know you bought Malcolm's car, is it the lovely silver one :confused:

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To be fair I did post elsewhere cars were very subjective so I was having a laugh there and yes I know many SLK owners who love them (rightly so too) .... it's just not an SL ;)

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I didn't know you bought Malcolm's car, is it the lovely silver one :confused:
Yes.. thought everyone knew that... spent a very nice hour or so at his house looking at and admiring the view before passing him money in a brown envelope.... :p ..... best driving experience of my life so far...I hate getting out of it...

davidsw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XKR ,Jaguar S-Type, Porsche Boxster S
Similar situation here . The wife wants to update the R170 to R171 and wants in tellurite silver the same as my CLK convertable.Considerng a 350 should be quite lively!

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
" looking at and admiring the view before passing him money in a brown envelope"

Are you sure you were buying a car??? :)

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom