key recognition problem?

MarkyBoy

Reaction score
Hi all, wonder if anyone can help isolate a starting problem with a 1998 C250TD.

The problem started about 6 weeks ago, when turning the ignition key the engine just goes 'clunk' it doesn't attempt to turn over, you try a few times and the engine just clunks repeatedly, then after a few attempts it will turn over without starting. Then if you remove the key and try again it will start normally. After a week or so, I switched to the spare key and the problem disappeared. BUT after a couple of weeks the problem exists with the spare key now as well and is worse than ever!

I have checked the battery and had the starter motor tested and all is ok with those, so I wonder if the problem is that the key is not being 'recognised' or something... The batteries in the keys are only a couple of years old, but perhaps that's an issue? Any ideas how I can diagnose and isolate what the problem is?

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Batteries are only "a couple of years old" suggests they mau need replacements. Worth a try. However, I'm not certain this will be the root cause of the problem. I would say that after a couple of years the batteries are very likely well past their best. Good luck

OP
M

MarkyBoy

Reaction score
Don't know if this is connected or not, but the windows do not 'latch' on the switches until the car is running (and key is recognised?) after which they will work fine???!!

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
for the sake of a fiver, I would change the batteries - 2 years isn't too bad depending on use.

OP
M

MarkyBoy

Reaction score
for the sake of a fiver, I would change the batteries - 2 years isn't too bad depending on use.

Yes, I'm going to get some batteries tomorrow but would they really cause this kind of problems? I just read you could start the car without any batteries in the key?

Mark@RMK

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.replacementmercedeskeys.co.uk
Your Mercedes
115CDi Vito
Batteries only work the locking part of the key..

It could be the keys but if they turn and the start clunks then all the authorisations are being given by the EIS/ECU to start.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom