Water on and under batter tray / R129 SL320

R

roadster198

When I replaced my battery yesterday there was a lot of water on and under the tray. Right next to the tray there is clearly a pipe which removes the water from other parts of the car. The pipe end is just touching the exit hole.... This can't be right can it?

The car is a 1998 R129 SL320.

Thanks

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
The water is likely battery acid which has come out the vent hole, the pipe should be plugged into the vent hole.
You need to remove the battery and clean up the area with boiling water to flush the area of acid.

Dec

attachment.php

OP
R

roadster198

The water is likely battery acid which has come out the vent hole, the pipe should be plugged into the vent hole.
You need to remove the battery and clean up the area with boiling water to flush the area of acid.

Dec

attachment.php

My new battery is sealed... Will I still need to do this?

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Lead/acid batteries have to be vented, sealed or not, you should have a hole similar to what is in picture above, should be hidden behind a hole cover, the tube you mention in post #1 plugs into the hole.

Dec

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom