Suspension problem

M3MK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mecedes cls 350 cdi 2010
I`m trying desperately to stay in love with my car but it`s becoming difficult. Recently had my second new SBC pump and now ive got another problem.

I have airmatic suspension with comfort/sport1/sport2. Ive been getting a pattering from the left rear, my initial thought was top mount its that kind of noise.
When the rear wheel was removed there is oil everywhere and its coming from a small hydraulic unit connected to the shock.

Can anyone tell me 1. what this oil is? and 2. what does that unit do?

Cheers Pete

OP
M3MK

M3MK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mecedes cls 350 cdi 2010
Not sure it has a self leveller as such, it has ride height sensors front and rear, I`m wondering if the oil is coming from the shock and I just need a new shock?? :confused:

bigtwin

Banned
Reaction score
Thought it was coming from the hydro unit connected to the shock? "Normal" shocks don't have a unit connected, they are just a stick. What car is it?

OP
M3MK

M3MK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mecedes cls 350 cdi 2010
E320 CDI Avantgarde with airmatic suspension

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
The fluid is hydraulic fluid and the little cylinder is the "axle damping valve unit"

OP
M3MK

M3MK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mecedes cls 350 cdi 2010
The fluid is hydraulic fluid and the little cylinder is the "axle damping valve unit"

Thankyou, where is the fluid supplied from and will I have to keep an eye on any levels until I get it done?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
It's held within that unit. I'd say if it's leaking out the unit is US.

OP
M3MK

M3MK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mecedes cls 350 cdi 2010
cool thanks, so it`ll come as part of the new shock? p.s it does have supply lines to it.

Last edited:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
As far as I can see it's the valve body for the shock so the fluid will flow between the two.

Get it checked out. I don't think the unit can be supplied separately

OP
M3MK

M3MK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mecedes cls 350 cdi 2010
I've been phoning around for a rear shock and I've had various prices all around the £500 mark. The cheapest is a Bilstein replacement at £450 :( Does anyone know of anywhere that may do one a bit cheaper? Would be much appreciated.

A

andy@pcd-ltd

Is that price fitted or supply only

As i have had a look on epc and the price from mercedes directly is around £400

OP
M3MK

M3MK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mecedes cls 350 cdi 2010
Update,

I was waiting for a rear shock from Germany, a company called Meissler were offering the shock for 450 Euros including postage, only to e-mail me after taking my money to tell me his supplier has let him down.

I then said sod it and went to Mercedes and then got a shock (pardon the pun) when they told me £309 plus vat which worked out cheapest of anyone including the Latvian on ebay.

In summary, the new shock is now on and the car is driving like new. I didnt realise that one duff rear shock could upset the whole balance of the car but it did and its now really planted.

Totally unrelated, has anyone else got the glass roof and if so does yours creak like crazy in the extreme cold?

rolfy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C180 Kompressor Coupe (57 reg)
Creaking Roof

Hi M3

I have a C220 CDi EVO with the big glass roof and yes, I notice a lot of creaking in sub-zero temperatures. I think it's because the rubber seals lose some of the dampening effect as the roof panels flex while driving. Tried to see if opening/shutting the roof would help yesterday but it's frozen shut.

This is a bother as the OH and I are both smokers and we use the roof to vent the smoke. Particularly amusing when OH decided to light up anyway and, finding the windows also frozen up, ashed her fag into her gloved hand. "What's that smell?" Er....your glove's on fire love!

Re your rear shock problem. What were the symptoms? I sometimes feel as if the rear end has gone a bit "floaty" but my indy serviced the car last week after an MOT and said rear suspension was fine.

OP
M3MK

M3MK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mecedes cls 350 cdi 2010
Hi Rolfy

The symptoms of the rear shock were a patting sound from the rear, not a knock, more an annoying thud over every slight bump and a deterioration in the handling that you get used to and only appreciate once its fixed. The big clue is the oil all over the rear suspension when it bursts. If you have airmatic then it's a big bill but non airmatic you are looking at £90 for a pair.

I'm a bit worried because I had adjustable links shipped over from Canada so I can adjust the ride height and I fear that running low is running the shocks in a range they don't like and I'm now fearing the other 3 might cry enough. It just looks awsome though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 11
OP
M3MK

M3MK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mecedes cls 350 cdi 2010
Some more pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
It's upside down...

OP
M3MK

M3MK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mecedes cls 350 cdi 2010
Just like my life :cool:

Do they not correct when you open them?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Not on my machine :-(

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom