Front fog lights

Bikesnoopy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 A210 Evo
What is it with these to**ers that drive around with their front fog lights on all the time when it not foggy & not bad visibility?

Apart from being illegal & totally pointless, its bl**dy irritating! :mad:

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Yes yes...heard it all before.

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
Can I whinge about the middle lane hog? The [STRIKE]very[/STRIKE] worst driver on our roads

With front fog lights on as well, then the worst driver. Hanging's too good for them

Fleetwood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005. SL350
Front fog lights aren't a problem

BUT

people who also insist on using rear fog lamps in a little bit of rain should be shot !

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

people who also insist on using rear fog lamps in a little bit of rain should be shot !

Can I help shoot them? ;);)

Then you get the opposite ....... it's quite foggy here today, but loads of cars are driving around with NO lights at all, too bright for the 'AUTO' lights to turn them on - sometimes you need to think for yourself! :rolleyes:

Fleetwood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005. SL350
Yep I declare December open season on rear fog light users ! Unless its really foggy (ie less than 100 feet of visibility )

BAZZER1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320cdi AVANTGARDE SELECT
Followed a P**** in a VW Polo yesterday and although keeping a reasonable distance behind him, he kept putting on his Brakes as if to say I was too close behind, I think I should have kept going and bumped him with two tons of Merc but had too much respect for my own car, these Pratts should never be on the same road as sensible road users.
BAZZER1

Vamps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Can I help shoot them? ;);)

Then you get the opposite ....... it's quite foggy here today, but loads of cars are driving around with NO lights at all, too bright for the 'AUTO' lights to turn them on - sometimes you need to think for yourself! :rolleyes:

Go on Andy, take them outside and shoot them in front of their families.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Agree with previous poster, front rarely a problems, they are low enough, rear fogs on on a clear night but raining can be quite dangerous.......:(:(:(

harrisis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w203 C-coupe 220Cdi
Back to front fog lights...

What's supposed to be correct behaviour?

I see lots with what I would call front fog lights on all the time, but then theyre often the twinkly xmas tree LED lights. Are these really fog lights or are they daytime running lights?

Then theres the fog lights that turn on one side when people are cornering, but then on some cars they turn off one side when people indicate. What are the actually FOR?

I've set up my actual lights to be on all the time using the onboard option. To turn on my fogs I then have to turn the dial to dipped and switch on the fogs. (Have come to Merc from Volvo :) )

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Right up to the start of this year it was illegal to have the fog lamps on with no fog or mist, but since then cars are now fitted with running lamps some seem to have the fogs activated in place of them, so all a bit of a mess right now

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Fogs should not be used as DRLs, end of. DRLs are purpose made low wattage lamps.

This info sheet from dtf explains all.

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/dft-information-sheets/daytime-running-lights.pdf

Particularly pertinent is this paragraph, in light of other threads we have had regarding MB and DRLs switching on or off at night

"DRL may be combined with other lamps. For example some manufacturers
use the same lamp for both the DRL and position lamp. In these cases the
DRL automatically dims to function as a lower intensity position lamp when
the headlamps are turned on. DRL placed close to direction indicators may
also automatically dim when the direction indicator is active. This is to ensure
that the direction indicator is not masked by the light from the DRL."

Last edited:

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom