SL500 R230 .. Differencial seems to Clunk on Full Lock -- When Cold.

Dale Minton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG & BMW ALPINA B5 & ABARTH 595 Turismo
Hi all, I've noticed for a time now that when I slowly reverse my SL from the driveway into the road whilst applying a reasonable amount of steering lock there appears to be a clunk or two from the rear end (although I can't feel it through the gearstick). I had put this down to the driveway being on a slight slope and the tyres grappling a bit as the two different levels of the drive and road met, as such I never really gave it too much thought. It's the same sort of subdued clunking I used to experience on a previous vehicle (of another make) and it was caused by the Limited Slip Diff plates grappling in the rear differential as the two rear wheels were rotating at different speeds when a reasonable amount of steering lock was applied. It certainly seems more pronounced in reverse than going forward but I've put this down to the fact that in reverse, and on lock, the difference in wheel speed would be more. Curiously enough, it doesn't seem to do this after the car has run for a few miles and some heat has got into the transmission (or maybe it's nothing to do with the transmission) - is it normal to experience something like this on an SL R230 when reversing on lock :confused: Advice please and thanks

Dale.

Last edited:

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Hi all, I've noticed for a time now that when I slowly reverse my SL from the driveway into the road whilst applying a reasonable amount of steering lock there appears to be a clunk or two from the rear end (although I can't feel it through the gearstick). I had put this down to the driveway being on a slight slope and the tyres grappling a bit as the two different levels of the drive and road met, as such I never really gave it too much thought. It's the same sort of subdued clunking I used to experience on a previous vehicle (of another make) and it was caused by the Limited Slip Diff plates grappling in the rear differential as the two rear wheels were rotating at different speeds when a reasonable amount of steering lock was applied. It certainly seems more pronounced in reverse than going forward but I've put this down to the fact that in reverse, and on lock, the difference in wheel speed would be more. Curiously enough, it doesn't seem to do this after the car has run for a few miles and some heat has got into the transmission (or maybe it's nothing to do with the transmission) - is it normal to experience something like this on an SL R230 when reversing on lock :confused: Advice please and thanks

Dale.

I do not think that is normal in so much as I have not 'clocked' such clunking when I reverse out of my drive on fullish lock.

Mic

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Its not the handbrake shoes releasing is it?

OP
Dale Minton

Dale Minton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG & BMW ALPINA B5 & ABARTH 595 Turismo
Mmmmmm, when the handbreak shoes knock off like you say it's pretty much instantanious, not after you've moved several yards, however, it is like something is sticking and then let's go, but sometimes it can do it more than once in quick succession --- weird, any further comments would be welcomed.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Ah apologies, I did not realise it was after several yards, no idea then :)

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Thinking laterally, and applying landrover logic, propshaft, drive shafts, suspension ball joints, roof seals, wheel bearings, chassis flexing ... the list of possibilities is limited only by ones imagination.

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
I would be quite inclined to blame the LSD - have seen a number of vehicles that clunk on hard lock. Strange that it would be worse when cold. A change of diff oil and be sure to use the correct LSD oil, might alleviate the issue.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
it doesn't have an lsd - pity as it could do with one sometimes!

I'd guess as simple backlash in the transmission drive train - nothing to bother about particularly, as you say, it goes away when it warms up.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There is nothing in the drive chain that could only make the clonk when cold, some SLs have the tendency to raise the rear end when reversing from cold and it could be a suspension noise, I would not worry about it at all.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
You are probably right on the suspension being the cause.

To expand on my thought process - as backlash is specifically set between the crownwheel and pinion teeth in the diff when it is built and as it will wear a little over time, this means when it is cold there is a bit more play than when new and when the diff is doing its job with each wheel rotating at different rates, then any play might become more evident

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
But any backlash in the diff is taken up as soon as R is selected, irrespective of any throttle applied

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom