ML 270 thermostat replacement

rony2rip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 cdi 2003
Hi
I have decided to change the thermostat on my car due to the coolant temp never passing 60Degrees. I bought the replacement kit, housing, stat and seal, today (£45 from stealer, happy with the price), but wondered is there not just a replacement thermostat that could be used to replace the existing one using the original housing and possibly saving us all a few quid to spend on our pride and joy later? It doesn't look too hard to change and fit inside the housing.
Does anyone know if there is just a replacement stat available?
Thanks.

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
According my knowledge, no. I remember that someone has found suitable stat which fitted to housing, but I couldn't find the thread anymore.

This stat+housing coupling is very stupid especially because MB stats fails so often. Worst 1 per year...:shock:

OP
R

rony2rip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 cdi 2003
£45 for something that could cost no more than £8-£10. Bit of a rip off I think although you also get the temp sensor in the kit. Thanks for your reply. Just have to get on and get it changed.

OP
R

rony2rip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 cdi 2003
Just an update to close this one off, did a double yesterday afternoon, thermostat change and oil change.

Such a difference, temp sits comfortably at just over the 80 mark and car runs quieter and smoother. Last change I think was done with real cheap old oil by the last owner who promised me he had done a change in August this year although I doubt it. This time she got Lucas fully synthetic 5w40 exactly 7 litres and after running for 10mins then sitting for 30mins no further top up required, I'll be checking again today.

Lost about 5l of coolant during the thermostat change which was easily topped up again through the reservoir using Comma Xstream® G48® Antifreeze & Coolant Concentrate.

I have noticed that there is a power fluid steering leak so that is the next issue to be addressed no doubt a search on the forums will uncover plenty of "advice and guidance" which I will avail of selectively as usual!!

Oh the joys of motoring!:p

Rockall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many
I have noticed that there is a power fluid steering leak so that is the next issue to be addressed no doubt a search on the forums will uncover plenty of "advice and guidance" which I will avail of selectively as usual!!

Oh the joys of motoring!:p[/QUOTE]
Check the bottom hose at the cooler for the power steering - mine was weeping there - put a new hose clip on the pipe as the original seemed weak.

Regards

Bill

OP
R

rony2rip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 cdi 2003
Check the bottom hose at the cooler for the power steering - mine was weeping there - put a new hose clip on the pipe as the original seemed weak.

Hi Bill thanks for that, had a good look tonight and could see nothing but fluid level was below min mark on the dipper so topped her up spun the wheel a few times and closed her up......we'll monitor the level weekly now and see if it drops again.

Thanks again
Ronan

Rockall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many

Hi Bill thanks for that, had a good look tonight and could see nothing but fluid level was below min mark on the dipper so topped her up spun the wheel a few times and closed her up......we'll monitor the level weekly now and see if it drops again.

Thanks again
Ronan
The problem is that to get at the fluid reservoir you have to remove the plastic cover - seems a bad design to me as most people will not bother.

Regards

Bill

OP
R

rony2rip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 cdi 2003
The problem is that to get at the fluid reservoir you have to remove the plastic cover - seems a bad design to me as most people will not bother

Secret is leave the cover off for a while.....easy access!!;)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom