A210 Evo wheel size/offset

Bikesnoopy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 A210 Evo
Does anyone know if the front & rear wheels on the A210 Evoloution are different offsets?

They're all marked as 7" x 17" but front & rear look slightly different - cant put my finger on it, but they do, just slightly. . . :confused:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
The ET should be cast into the rear face along with the size and part number

OP
B

Bikesnoopy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 A210 Evo
I dont have the wheels off the car. I just wondered if anyone happened to know.

OP
B

Bikesnoopy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 A210 Evo

Interesting. Those aren't A210 Evo wheels, but they do have different part numbers.

So, swapping my wheels back to front this afternoon wasn't a great idea then . . . :rolleyes:

They dont look any different. The only thing ive noticed is that the wheel bolts sit in their holes slightly deeper, thats what made me ask.

I havn't notices any differencei in the handling, either.

Are all A series like this, or is it just the 210?

Last edited:
N

npuk

The WHEEL offset is different. Which W168 it is makes no difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
B

Bikesnoopy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 A210 Evo
The WHEEL offset is different. Which W168 it is makes no difference.

Yes, i know. Youve already said that.

Why though. Why did MB decide that the front & rear wheels need different offsets.
There must be a reason for designing the car/wheels like this???

As said, i swapped my wheels front to back on Sunday. I know now that they shouldnt be on the wrong ends of the car, but i havnt had a chance to change them back yet.
But . . . to be honest, i cant detect the slightest bit of difference in the stability or handling of the car with the wheels on the wrong ends, so why are they different offsets? What was MB's thinking?

gopromiller

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5230/2010/engine
yeah,Interesting. Those aren't A210 Evo wheels, but they do have different part numbers
3.gif

OP
B

Bikesnoopy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 A210 Evo
The only difference i can detect between the front & rear wheels is that the wheel bolts sit a couple of mm deeper into the bolt holes on one end of the car(cant remember if its front or rear). This was what prompted me to ask the question in the first place, as apart from this, i cant detect any other physical difference between front & rear wheels.
Both 7x17 & both 205/40 tyres.
Strange. . .

I just wondered why they have different offsets & why the difference is so slight - so slight, the difference is undetectable. . . :confused:

N

npuk

Usually a staggered setup is more common on rear wheel drive cars and the rear alloy is wider to give a bigger track, better traction, stability etc. Google will have plenty of info on it.

As both yours are 7J wide front and back it could be for other reasons the offset is different on the back e.g. to stop interferece with suspension components or brakes.

As you have swapped them around your front alloy is now sitting further away from the hub than it should be and your rear alloy is sitting further inside the wheel arch than it should be. Your front alloy will probably catch the arch on full lock or maybe going over bumps and your rear alloy may interfere with suspension components or brakes.

OP
B

Bikesnoopy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 A210 Evo
Nope, loads of clearance everywhere. . . and its the front wheels that are offset out more than the rears.
We are only talking a few mm here. . .

N

npuk

Higher the offset the closer the wheel is to the hub. As standard your front wheels are ET57 front and ET49 back. So the front sits further in than the back. Now it is the other way round as you swapped the wheels back to front.

OP
B

Bikesnoopy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 A210 Evo
Ok, sorry to keep harping on about this, but if the wheels that are supposed to "sit in" the furthest should be on the front, i think they may have been on the wrong ends when i bought the car & all ive done is swap them to the correct ends.

My thinking is this. The difference in the wheel is in the centre. The centre of the wheel is a few mm thinner where it butts up to the hub. A thinner centre will mean that the recesses for the bolts wont be so deep & therefore the wheels that "sit in" the furthest will have the bolt heads sitting out more.

As fitted, the front wheels have the bolt heads almost flush to the face of the wheel & the rears have the bolt heads sitting in the recess by about 8 or so mm.
This suggests that the "inset" ones are on the front & the "outset" ones are on the rear.

Any thoughts on my thinking. . . ?

N

npuk

Just remove one front wheel and look on the inside. It will be stamped with the ET and part number and this will confirm if it is a front or rear alloy.

Front alloy wheels: 17x7" ET57
Wheel part number: MER B66471512
Additional alloy part number: A1684012402

Rear alloy wheels: 17x7" ET49
Wheel part number: MER B66471513
Additional alloy part number: A1684012502

OP
B

Bikesnoopy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 A210 Evo
Ha! Cracked it!

The wheels are currently on the correct ends of the car.
I guess that when i bought it, the wheels were the wrong way round & i unwittingly swapped them into their correct positions, so all's ship shape & Bristol fashon now!

Thanks all for your input on this querey:D

OP
B

Bikesnoopy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 A210 Evo
Just remove one front wheel and look on the inside. It will be stamped with the ET and part number and this will confirm if it is a front or rear alloy.

Front alloy wheels: 17x7" ET57
Wheel part number: MER B66471512
Additional alloy part number: A1684012402

Rear alloy wheels: 17x7" ET49
Wheel part number: MER B66471513
Additional alloy part number: A1684012502

Also, the wheels are actually stamped "front" & "rear" fitment on the inside face . . . :Oops:

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom